Question Canterbury fields with grooming

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by GlenH, Aug 18, 2018.

1. GlenH

GlenH Addicted
    Ski Pass: Silver

We are planning a trip next year to the Canterbury area and would like to try some of the smaller ski fields, however we do prefer groomed runs.

This year, we really liked Porters and Mt Cheeseman (and of course know of Mt Hutt) but I'm wondering which of the other small fields and clubbies have any grooming these days?

We know we need to learn nut crackers and reckon we'll get the hang of them, eventually. :)

Thanks for any advice.

2. Seth

Seth Pool Room
    Ski Pass: Gold

Well that rules Broken River and Craigueburn out unless things have changed for the worse.

3. GlenH

GlenH Addicted

Thankyou.

Heh heh, I can see we have opposite requirements!

Actually upon further research I see that Broken River does have grooming on the "Learners areas & intermediate slopes" (not sure how much that entails) although Craigieburn does not.

Also, at Broken River the Tyndall Tramway (access lift) is currently closed, so you have to walk up. A local told us this was because it has been reclassified as a railway and needed extra certification / qualification for staff, or something.

4. N0frilz

N0frilz Hard Yards

If you want resorts like cheeseman or porters you need to head south and hit round hill, Dobson and Ohau. Spend a couple days at rach they all Have grommets

5. GlenH

GlenH Addicted

Thankyou. Yes, we also like Roundhill, Mt Dobson and Ohau.

6. Simon Guild

Simon Guild First Runs

You should also consider Mt Lyford near Hanmer Springs - great family ski area. If you require grooming, avoid Mt Olympus, Craigieburn and Temple Basin. Broken River has a limited amount, but should really be considered as a full on club field experience like the other three.

7. soza

soza One of Us

Roundhill has some great groomers and would be my pick to spend a few days. Dobson gets a bit boring as im finding out this season. Already messed up an edge going off-piste and other than 2 or 3 nice runs your just traversing cat tracks most of the time....fine for a day out but i seem to be spending more time at Hutt this year.
    Saying that, if cover is good Dobson offers acres of cruisey intermediate off-piste.

sbm_ likes this.
  8. GlenH

GlenH Addicted

Thankyou, yes agree with that, Roundhill is great for groomed runs and we like Mt Dobson too, although this season is tricky for many of the fields.

soza likes this.
  9. GlenH

GlenH Addicted

Does anybody know if the Tyndall Tramway (access lift) at Broken River is likely to be back in action this year?

10. KL.

KL. One of Us

email BR and ask and let us know.