1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Canterbury fields with grooming

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by GlenH, Aug 18, 2018.

1. GlenH

GlenH Addicted Ski Pass: Silver

We are planning a trip next year to the Canterbury area and would like to try some of the smaller ski fields, however we do prefer groomed runs.

This year, we really liked Porters and Mt Cheeseman (and of course know of Mt Hutt) but I'm wondering which of the other small fields and clubbies have any grooming these days?

We know we need to learn nut crackers and reckon we'll get the hang of them, eventually. :)

Thanks for any advice.

2. Seth

Seth Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Well that rules Broken River and Craigueburn out unless things have changed for the worse.

3. GlenH

Thankyou.

Heh heh, I can see we have opposite requirements!

Actually upon further research I see that Broken River does have grooming on the "Learners areas & intermediate slopes" (not sure how much that entails) although Craigieburn does not.

Also, at Broken River the Tyndall Tramway (access lift) is currently closed, so you have to walk up. A local told us this was because it has been reclassified as a railway and needed extra certification / qualification for staff, or something.

4. N0frilz

N0frilz Hard Yards

If you want resorts like cheeseman or porters you need to head south and hit round hill, Dobson and Ohau. Spend a couple days at rach they all Have grommets

5. GlenH

Thankyou. Yes, we also like Roundhill, Mt Dobson and Ohau.

6. Simon Guild

Simon Guild First Runs

You should also consider Mt Lyford near Hanmer Springs - great family ski area. If you require grooming, avoid Mt Olympus, Craigieburn and Temple Basin. Broken River has a limited amount, but should really be considered as a full on club field experience like the other three.

7. soza

soza One of Us

Roundhill has some great groomers and would be my pick to spend a few days. Dobson gets a bit boring as im finding out this season. Already messed up an edge going off-piste and other than 2 or 3 nice runs your just traversing cat tracks most of the time....fine for a day out but i seem to be spending more time at Hutt this year.
    Saying that, if cover is good Dobson offers acres of cruisey intermediate off-piste.

sbm_ likes this.
  8. GlenH

Thankyou, yes agree with that, Roundhill is great for groomed runs and we like Mt Dobson too, although this season is tricky for many of the fields.

soza likes this.
  9. GlenH

Does anybody know if the Tyndall Tramway (access lift) at Broken River is likely to be back in action this year?

10. KL.

KL. One of Us

email BR and ask and let us know.

11. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

No idea. but it doesnt save that much time..

12. GlenH

Oh, I thought it was a steep walk without?

13. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

It probably is (ive never been to BR) but i can walk the temple basin access in about 30-40 mins so it cant be worse than that ;)

14. Rabid K9

Rabid K9 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

It's not particularly taxing from memory, even with pack & gear, much shorter & easier than Temple.

15. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Howdy Glen, fwiw my wife and I walked up the acces path to BR base about 14 years ago.
    We were fittish but no atheletes or power walkers. I think it took 25-30 mins from memory as we had quite large day packs for any sort weather or eventuality.

It was steepish through trees in a few spots but not dangerous as such. Betst to have poles handy as it was a bit icy is shadier areas - mid morning. There was little or no actual snow on the path so this would change (slow) the equation.

...By the way, we walked with gear even though the then 'goods lift' was supposedly operational.

In that wonderful Antipodean way there was very little to indicate the lift was operational, do rather than stuff around with intercoms etc... we walked. And it's a very scenic walk too

And if you do go, do yourself a favour and ask for help with using nutcrackers rather suffer in silence.

Apparently, field staff can slow some lifts if asked. I would do this too as they can be tricky at first.

BR was /is a friendly 'little' field - it would best in fresh snow. We went in a dry period in a fairly poor year (Aug 05') and while well covered, snow was on the firm side for my liking.

If you're in the area for Cheese & Porter with some nice fresh cover it could be well worth a detour??

16. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

For a second I thought Snowgum was talking about Mt Mawson in Tassie. It is also a 'club field' with a 20 minute walk up from the car park that is steep in sections and visiting resort skiers also need to be instructed on how to use nutcrackers.

17. Nidecker

Nidecker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

This isn't really necessary when you have great "how to" vids like this on youtube :)

bawbawbel likes this.
  18. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Personally I'd be warning folks that the pulleys and fingers don't mix.

There seems to be two schools of thought with pulleys: to temporarily derail the rope then plonk in back on as you depart - ready for the next pulley; or the just 'be careful' with fingers & gloves approach.

Fwiw: I first skied BR and used the latter 'care' method, gut a year later at Lyford I used the derail after a local Irish chap demo'd. While it takes practice, I prefer the 'derail' method - nicer smooth & safer feel.

I must also admit I was quite good at derailing accidentally at BR and hence managed to stop patrollers and experienced clubbies from becoming bored on the pm hardpack! ( ;-)

It's all good fun though and worth the effort and experience - even without Pow.