Question Canterbury on snow Accom?

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by windy, May 9, 2017.

1. windy

windy Active Member

Looking at doing something different this year for our NZ snow trip. I've done Queenstown/Wanaka fields + Mt Hutt but I haven't been to any of the Canty club fields.

Which one is the best in terms of terrain and which one has the best on mountain accomidation? (also how hard are nutcrackers to ride on a snowboard?)

2. Red_switch

Red_switch Part of the Furniture
    30 Day Pass

Terrain = Temple Basin. Take an ice axe and crampons.

firstlight likes this.
  3. craighelo

craighelo Well-Known Member

Froff Life likes this.
  4. Draizuh

Draizuh Dedicated Member

Need more info. What is it you are after??If you want groomers, cheeseman and porters are the only mountains besides hutt with groomers. The rest are pretty much entirely offpiste.

Nutcrackers are easier on a snowboard depending on which side the rope is on and wether you are goofy or regular.

5. gibbsy

gibbsy Active Member

TB is great. Craigieburn is also very good. Both need freshies though and are subject to massively variable conditions.

6. sbm

sbm Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

WRT accomodation, I think you'll find the club fields are more of a Euro mountain hut or backpackers situation. Dorms, communal bathrooms kitchen & living areas.

Porters lodge for the most commercial-style accomodation?

7. sbm

sbm Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

My brief experience, was that the boarders with us had more success with the "wrong-side" tows riding switch, instead of riding backside!

8. DPS Driver

DPS Driver Dedicated Member

Accoms great at Olympus and Craigieburn. I haven't stayed on mountain at any of the others.

They're all good if the conditions are right from a terrain perspective. None are long and all have a smattering of challenging terrain depending on your ability level.

The two above plus Temple basin are my favourites.

9. Nozawaman

Nozawaman Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Cardrona has lux accomm

10. smackies

smackies Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Yeah. Nah.

Rope tows on a snowboard are fine. Just take old gear and thrust those hips when you get to a pulley.

11. PMG

PMG Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Haven't stayed there but Broken River's accommodation looks okay from the outside. Last time we were in Canterbury we stayed in Castle Hill and drove around. Found Craigieburn's nutcrackers to be the most challenging because of the pitch on takeoff. As smackies alluded to, don't use your favourite gloves. There could be tears in more ways than one.
    And pay attention when using them. I almost dislocated my shoulder once because I was too busy checking out the terrain in the distance and not watching where I was going.

#11 PMG, Jun 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  12. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

There is a great B and B on the road between cragieburn and broken river. It's not on mountain but only a short drive. Accomodation much nicer than on mountain and lovely sitting area with big fire.

13. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

My wife really struggled on ropetow on snowboard. We ended up at towers on the t bar.

We used riggers gloves for the ropetow - lined leather work gloves and they worked well.

14. smackies

smackies Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

I'd also suggest taking an old jacket. I found I had to really hug the tow between my body and arm to get moving, which my jacket didn't love.

15. windy

windy Active Member

Thanks for all the tips and surgestions. I'm traveling with the old man and he wasn't so keen on staying on a mountain without groomed runs. He hurt his knee on the last run of our Japan trip so I think i'll have to ease him into going to the club fields.

We ended up getting an air bnb and a 4wd.