Car advice for NZ

Panpanace

Hard Yards
Dec 1, 2018
Perth
I am not much of a car person, I am just wondering is there much difference between a Toyota RAV4 and a Mazda CX5. I have been quoted $700 more for the Toyota for 13 days rental by different companies, both saying their car is 4WD. I definitely want a 4WD to get to Treble Cone, done it years ago on an old 2WD and it was a bit hairy even with the chains.
Thanks.

Dumphfish

Addicted
Oct 9, 2017
I am not much of a car person, I am just wondering is there much difference between a Toyota RAV4 and a Mazda CX5. I have been quoted $700 more for the Toyota for 13 days rental by different companies, both saying their car is 4WD. I definitely want a 4WD to get to Treble Cone, done it years ago on an old 2WD and it was a bit hairy even with the chains.
Thanks.
Go with the Mazda but hopefully you'll still need chains.

Upvote 0

Panpanace

Hard Yards
Dec 1, 2018
Perth
Thanks, yeah I wouldn't go anywhere without chains in the car in NZ. In saying that I have done Japan a few times with winter tyres only but it's completely different kind of roads and conditions.

Upvote 0

Sage O

Like the herb, cup ramen devotee
Ski Pass
Sep 8, 2017
Origami Hutte/Newy
Plus they have enough scratches to not notice the new ones.
100%, the last thing you want to hire is a brand new car which is going to be parked in a ski resort carpark.

Apex were good about the mud that made its way into the car as well, no extra charge even though it got filthy.

Reactions: Donza
Upvote 0
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Panpanace

Hard Yards
Dec 1, 2018
Perth
I had good experiences with Apex...regarding my (forced) cancelled trips last year, refund was never a problem.
Has anyone tried tried New Zealand Rent A Car?

Upvote 0

Kash

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2007
Sydney
Is vroom vroom vroom still the go to option for renting an SUV/4WD from CHC? Driving to hutt or club fields so would therefore prefer AWD at minimum

Upvote 0
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass