Car advice for NZ

Panpanace

Hard Yards
Dec 1, 2018
Perth
I am not much of a car person, I am just wondering is there much difference between a Toyota RAV4 and a Mazda CX5. I have been quoted $700 more for the Toyota for 13 days rental by different companies, both saying their car is 4WD. I definitely want a 4WD to get to Treble Cone, done it years ago on an old 2WD and it was a bit hairy even with the chains.
Thanks.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Dumphfish

Addicted
Oct 9, 2017
I am not much of a car person, I am just wondering is there much difference between a Toyota RAV4 and a Mazda CX5. I have been quoted $700 more for the Toyota for 13 days rental by different companies, both saying their car is 4WD. I definitely want a 4WD to get to Treble Cone, done it years ago on an old 2WD and it was a bit hairy even with the chains.
Thanks.
Go with the Mazda but hopefully you'll still need chains.

Upvote 0

Panpanace

Hard Yards
Dec 1, 2018
Perth
Thanks, yeah I wouldn't go anywhere without chains in the car in NZ. In saying that I have done Japan a few times with winter tyres only but it's completely different kind of roads and conditions.

Upvote 0

Sage O

Like the herb, cup ramen devotee
Ski Pass
Sep 8, 2017
Origami Hutte/Newy
Plus they have enough scratches to not notice the new ones.
100%, the last thing you want to hire is a brand new car which is going to be parked in a ski resort carpark.

Apex were good about the mud that made its way into the car as well, no extra charge even though it got filthy.

Reactions: Donza
Upvote 0

Panpanace

Hard Yards
Dec 1, 2018
Perth
I had good experiences with Apex...regarding my (forced) cancelled trips last year, refund was never a problem.
Has anyone tried tried New Zealand Rent A Car?

Upvote 0

Kash

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2007
Sydney
Is vroom vroom vroom still the go to option for renting an SUV/4WD from CHC? Driving to hutt or club fields so would therefore prefer AWD at minimum

Upvote 0

Pokitren

First Runs
May 10, 2022
Sydney
100%, the last thing you want to hire is a brand new car which is going to be parked in a ski resort carpark.

Apex were good about the mud that made its way into the car as well, no extra charge even though it got filthy.
Well, why? A vacation is a vacation! And let the new car stand in the parking lot :)

Upvote 0

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Because I don’t want to get charged for the scratches and dints that result from parking in a resort carpark with Jerrys. Give me a hire car that’s already damaged.
Especially with all the gravel access roads and these guys.
images - 2022-05-20T190425.760.jpeg

Upvote 0

ShavedBadger

Uniform-coloured lard bag.
Ski Pass
Apr 30, 2018
Thanks.

Thank me later.

Upvote 0

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
I’m renting a Mitsubishi ASX as 4wds were out of my budget.

How often do you need to use chains in the mountains around Queenstown? I’ve got them with my hire car but have never used them before.

Upvote 0

MisterMxyzptlk

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2002

How often do you need to use chains in the mountains around Queenstown? I’ve got them with my hire car but have never used them before.
Pretty often at the Remarks
The saddle from the switchback to the carpark can be......hairy
Not so much at Coronet

Upvote 0

craighelo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 26, 2012
Tarras

And they should have some staff floating about to help you put them on if you need.

Reactions: Kimski
Upvote 0
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass