1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Car based camping around Buller/Stirling

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by stony, Aug 29, 2005.

1. stony

stony First Runs

Hi all. Does anyone have any suggestions for snow camping locations around these locales?

2. mr

mr Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Stony, it would be alot easier to find some in that area if you left your car behind, particularly this year. I'm pretty sure all the 4wd tracks out towards speculation are shut over winter.

Most car-snow camping to be done in Vic. is out towards Reynard, beyond licola and arbuckle junction - ie. the other side of the alps.

3. sidetrack

sidetrack One of Us

What Mr said. The only place I can think of is Refrigorator Gap and at 1250 or so you will be waiting till next year.

However with a short walk, Stirling, Bluff Hut, Skene and mabye Cobbler area. 4x4 for all except Stirling.

4. stony

stony First Runs

thanks mr, I thought as much, was at Mt.Skene last year (day trip only) and I was hoping for something a bit closer.

5. echidna

echidna Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

We got a pleasant dusting of snow there 2 weekends ago but it would have mostly melted by the afternoon given the crapp season it's been. There was a sizable fallen log over the road just up towards Bluff Hut.

#5 echidna, Aug 31, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013