Question Car Camping around Falls

Ricardo64

One of Us
Apr 5, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Brains Trust

We are heading up to Falls like everyone else on late saturday night (Iprefer to drive by the moon light) just wondering if anyone knew of a place where I could duck into and catch a few hours Zzzz and boil my billie for a cuppa in the morning. Preferably not too far from resort entry? ;)

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Mountain Creek camping area is free and legal and it's bitumen all the way. It's at the foot of Mt Bogong. About 12km from Mt Beauty. turnoff is in Tawonga, north of the bright road.

Not many others that are free, legal and easy to find. AIUI nowhere on the road from mt beauty to falls is legal

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Ricardo64

One of Us
Apr 5, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Mountain Creek camping area is free and legal and it's bitumen all the way. It's at the foot of Mt Bogong. About 12km from Mt Beauty. turnoff is in Tawonga, north of the bright road.

Not many others that are free, legal and easy to find. AIUI nowhere on the road from mt beauty to falls is legal
Thanks Dude

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Would 2wd do this easily?
In the event of a low snow fall the answer would be NO. It is a dirt road that winds up a hill. There may be snow and ice and fallen timber on the track. You will need a chain saw , chains and AWD IMHO. Others would disagree with me. They are welcome to do so.

Big Hill road was graded last green season.
I too am looking at options for camping near Falls Creek. I think having a season entry pass means I can ski out of the resort and snow camp at Fiztgerald's hut and ski tour for a couple of days without having to go up and down the Falls Creek road.

Medicine_Shoes

One of Us
Dec 9, 2018
We just did a night of car camping at Mtn. Creek so as to be closer to Falls Creek . It is a good idea to bring your own firewood. We did and it made a big difference to the experience. It gets frosty down there by the creek so rug up at night.
Easy to get a spot there? I might come up on a Friday night in August sometime.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Easy to get a spot there? I might come up on a Friday night in August sometime.
Friday night could be busy. We camped on a Monday night. My guess is that most of the camp site users were snow sports people too.
There is a spot that is closer to the creek that has a picnic table and a firepace. In the dark you won't find it. You will find a spot to put up a tent or two.
The other two places I have described in this thread are much closer to Falls Creek but are not 100 % legal camp sites in the Nat. Park as Mtn. Creek is.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Medicine_Shoes

One of Us
Dec 9, 2018
Friday night could be busy. We camped on a Monday night. My guess is that most of the camp site users were snow sports people too.
There is a spot that is closer to the creek that has a picnic table and a firepace. In the dark you won't find it. You will find a spot to put up a tent or two.
The other two places I have described in this thread are much closer to Falls Creek but are not 100 % legal camp sites in the Nat. Park as Mtn. Creek is.
I won't be pitching a tent as I'll most likely be solo and can just sleep in the back of my wagon. I've also seen that there is camping out the back of the Dederang hotel, it is free and has toilets and drinking water, might be one to look at.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
I won't be pitching a tent as I'll most likely be solo and can just sleep in the back of my wagon. I've also seen that there is camping out the back of the Dederang hotel, it is free and has toilets and drinking water, might be one to look at.
Dederang is not as close to Falls as the places I have mentioned.

Ricardo64

One of Us
Apr 5, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
I stayed at Mountain creek camp ground,super easy, mind you this was the queens birthday long week end quite a few cars there, (I muast admint That I like to travel in the early hours of the morning due to ease of travel) pulled in found a spot and crashed and left at 5:00 am.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using