Car Danchi thread 2016/17

M_G

M_G_ = Make skiing great again
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myoko.jp
myokoskiresort.com
Lot of people thinking about this now. So why not have a dedicated thread for alternate resorts and car/van hire options where like-minded souls can dream dreams and hatch plans?

maxresdefault.jpg

Discuss

Reactions: Tanuki

Vermillion

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Nov 13, 2005
Cranhole, Melbourne, VIC
I'm all over this. The best way to see Japan in winter and to get the best snow. If I didnt have this option this season just gone, I would have had a really average time.

Chondro

One of Us
Jul 8, 2013
Victoria
Got a van for 3 months while we are there.
2 months accomodation is booked, the other month to just tour around. Seriously considering just staying in the van for the last one and touring around

ojisan

station master
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2011
Something I should consider, but can it be done solo? hmmmmmm :rolleyes:

Reactions: JoeKing

expatgm

One of Us
Aug 4, 2014
Queenstown
Got a van for 3 months while we are there.
2 months accomodation is booked, the other month to just tour around. Seriously considering just staying in the van for the last one and touring around
Is the van hire or buy? If hire who from?

Marc8491927

Hard Yards
Mar 28, 2015
Victoria
Booked a Van for all of Feb on Hokkaido, probably going to freeze to death. Although that exchange rate is making it an expensive "cheap holiday"

travelislife

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 9, 2008
Melbourne
100% the way. Had best ever trip in 7 trips to Japan last year by hiring a car and touring Hokkaido. Same thing locked in for January this year.

bullet

One of Us
Aug 11, 2007
wollongong
Local hire off a fella yoshi matsu in niseko, runs www.carniseko.com
Chrondo, just be careful with Yoshi. I have hired from him a couple of years ago-no probs.
But last year was a bad experience.
He is a super chill guy, but i dont think he is too good at running a business.
He owns a few properties around Niseko and last year i notice they mostly got the same review"arrived and booked accom not ready and had to move house"

Reactions: Chondro

Chondro

One of Us
Jul 8, 2013
Victoria
Chrondo, just be careful with Yoshi. I have hired from him a couple of years ago-no probs.
But last year was a bad experience.
He is a super chill guy, but i dont think he is too good at running a business.
He owns a few properties around Niseko and last year i notice they mostly got the same review"arrived and booked accom not ready and had to move house"
Yeah, I've delt with him the past couple of seasons, haha, know what hes like.

What happened last year?

Rabid K9

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 15, 2008
No reason to bother, japan is cheap enough to make a viable holiday anyway and all the worthy resorts have nice convenient accom at the base.

Untrue. Plenty of out of the way places were finding accom can be difficult for gaijin. And a lot of the best riding in Hokkaido is backcountry, so having a van / decent wheels opens up many options.

Abundant onsens make it a realistic option, despite the chill of a deep Hokkaido winter.

neck_deep

Addicted
May 10, 2011
5 hours from Hotham
Untrue. Plenty of out of the way places were finding accom can be difficult for gaijin. And a lot of the best riding in Hokkaido is backcountry, so having a van / decent wheels opens up many options.

Abundant onsens make it a realistic option, despite the chill of a deep Hokkaido winter.

He shoots, he scores. Sorry just wanted to flick a lure.

@Rabid_K9 trip reports my have helped inspire several car based trips throughout Honshu and hokkiado the last few years. cheap, deep, stinky fun for all the crew.

Last edited:

Marc8491927

Hard Yards
Mar 28, 2015
Victoria
In regards to actually staying in the van. Is it possible to just stay at the trailheads/carparks of places like Asahidake & Tokachidake? Or am I better off heading back into a town each arvo?
Whats the road clearing like? I imagine they are pretty on the ball or is it like the Icefields Parkway in Canada where it can take a couple of days to clear properly and they don't really worry about turnouts and stuff?
Any recommendations for maps/guidebooks I prefer hard copy maps and will upload some stuff to my phone as reference.

webberchoked

Hard Yards
Oct 15, 2011
In regards to actually staying in the van. Is it possible to just stay at the trailheads/carparks of places like Asahidake & Tokachidake? Or am I better off heading back into a town each arvo?
Whats the road clearing like? I imagine they are pretty on the ball or is it like the Icefields Parkway in Canada where it can take a couple of days to clear properly and they don't really worry about turnouts and stuff?
Any recommendations for maps/guidebooks I prefer hard copy maps and will upload some stuff to my phone as reference.

yes. i slept at asahidake or the hotel carparks close by.
get used to skiing during the day. hitting an onsen and hanging out in the onsen/hotel lobby and use their wifi. sleep in carpark when ready.
roadclearing is the alarm clock in the morning.

Reactions: freddy

pedub

One of Us
Jul 26, 2015
Pardon my ignorance but "cardanchi" essentially means touring around sleeping in your car?
With the abundance of onsen in Japan it must be a perfect place for it

M_G

Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myoko.jp
myokoskiresort.com
'Car danchi' loosely used. Thread is more about getting a car and touring around rather than being based in any one particular resort. Lot more people doing it now so therefore it's own dedicated thread.

You're correct there are a lot of onsen and some open 24 hours. Landmark Cafe in Ikenotaira Onsen for example has an overnight deal for something like 3,000 yen. There is a community hall in Togakushi where you used to be able to sleep upstairs for free. Not sure if that still happens though.

webberchoked

Hard Yards
Oct 15, 2011
Pardon my ignorance but "cardanchi" essentially means touring around sleeping in your car?
With the abundance of onsen in Japan it must be a perfect place for it

car-apartment is the tranlsation i think
and yeah japan (and iceland) are the best places for it.

i discovered some awesome supersentos because of it

pedub

One of Us
Jul 26, 2015
car-apartment is the tranlsation i think
and yeah japan (and iceland) are the best places for it.

i discovered some awesome supersentos because of it

I'm reading your thread you linked to above (I've read bits of it before, but I'm reading it again in more detail)
2 questions:

1. What part of Kamui are you in for the vid in post #91?

2. Is Nayoro Piyashiri worth the trip from Asahikawa? Is there anywhere else better in that area?

webberchoked

Hard Yards
Oct 15, 2011
I'm reading your thread you linked to above (I've read bits of it before, but I'm reading it again in more detail)
2 questions:

1. What part of Kamui are you in for the vid in post #91?
offpiste
2. Is Nayoro Piyashiri worth the trip from Asahikawa? Is there anywhere else better in that area?
not worth going to if you arent heading further north.
tokachidake
kurodake
furano
tomamu

jorgo

Hard Yards
Jun 22, 2007
Planning to get a van for a few weeks this season. Anyone have any reviews or reccomendations for rental businesses? Both main and north island.

What is a realistic amount of people to fit comfortably in the type B camper size here for example listed as '6'. https://japanrv-rental.com/
We are thinking 3 with gear and room to dry things.

Will be watching this thread closely!

Thanks
Aaron

Vermillion

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Nov 13, 2005
Cranhole, Melbourne, VIC
IMO a big campervan is a really uncomfortable way to see Japan whilst being tight when you can get really cheap accommodation readily, like MG said. Yeah you'll save some bucks, but in the end, your experience will be better if you choose to sleep in a room instead of a car.

jorgo

Hard Yards
Jun 22, 2007
After a few months of research and confusing emails I've decided to can the camper idea this season. Will try again for next year with much earlier booking and more homework.

Main reason was prices of rental was not cheap enough to make it worth putting up with the living conditions. This is not to say you cant find cheap vans but these seem to be either booked out well in advanced or, they are booked by the western looking camper websites some of which are listed above and then rented out by them as agents for almost 50% mark up in some cases. These prices were more that renting a family wagon or van size car plus cheap accom for 4 people!

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi
If hiring a camper you need to ensure it is 'winterised',i.e. If the plumbing ain't insulted you ain't using the sink or dunnie which sorta defeats the purpose - I know from exp ( be it in BC)

Reactions: Vermillion

Vermillion

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Nov 13, 2005
Cranhole, Melbourne, VIC
Good decision, although there may be some 'last minute specials' although that's less likely to happen with campers due to limited quantities.

Every time I think of car danchi I look at how much accom. costs in Japan and the sums just dont add up to do it.

M_G

Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myoko.jp
myokoskiresort.com
Unless you're a super tight ass that sleeps in a car, or a don't care, just pay for the campervan person, then the way to go IMO is having a regular car and either a), basing yourself at one or two places and touring out, or b) finding cheap rooms / 24hr onsen / manga cafe as you go.

snowishing

Hard Yards
Jun 19, 2003
WA
Do you need a camper? How many of you?

You can find onsen places to stay in overnight.
My brother and I are giving it a go...but also thinking that we will only end up staying in the van about half the nights. Not really doing it for the cost effectiveness but to have the comfort (relative) of a back-up option which will hopefully make it more stress free. Also the experience... Will report back!

Vermillion

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Nov 13, 2005
Cranhole, Melbourne, VIC
My brother and I are giving it a go...but also thinking that we will only end up staying in the van about half the nights. Not really doing it for the cost effectiveness but to have the comfort (relative) of a back-up option which will hopefully make it more stress free. Also the experience... Will report back!

Good luck mate, I reckon you'll find yourself staying in cheap ryokans and the like more often than you think. It's pretty easy to get accommodation on or around the slopes in Japan, pretty much every hill, from the tiniest to obviously the bigger ones, will have a giant on-site accommodation option for you. And if you get your breakfast included in the nightly rate, then it becomes even more enticing to leave the van in the parking lot.

Beerman

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 15, 2015
Brisvegas
Anyone got an idea on when rental companies start putting summer tyres back on their rental fleets??
Central Honshu in particular.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass