1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Car Hire Myoko Kogen

Discussion in 'Japan' started by RyanMM75, Apr 10, 2019.

1. RyanMM75

RyanMM75 Hard Yards

Advice please
    Planning on doing 9 days based at Myoko Kogen doing all the nearby resorts. Planning on hiring an 8 seater van at Narita Airport and driving to Myoko making the nearby resorts easier for us to get to. Anybody that has hired a car just wanting to know if a standard car with standard tyres is ok to get around Myoko and Nowaza?. If no please advise me on where you got a suitable vehicle?.

2. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

You'll need a 4wd Van (strongly advised) and snowtyres(by law).

4wd vans to hire are as rare as hens teeth in Nagano. Hire wise.

All Vehicles hired out in Nagano will have snow tyres for free.

You'll pay 20 bucks Aud per day for snowtyres when hiring from Narita.
    You'll also pay 110 bucks each way to drive from narita to myoko in Tolls

Mils, Tanuki and nfip like this.
  3. RyanMM75

RyanMM75 Hard Yards

Great advice thank you

4. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

Seconding what Donzah said. You won't get on the expressway with regular tyres. They stop and check them at the entrance.

If there's a few of you it will definitely end up cheaper coming out of Narita because you'll save $230 pp on return train fares.

5. RyanMM75

RyanMM75 Hard Yards

Yeh spot on MG there are 4 of us and to get Train, Bullet, Bus return to Myoko will cost approx $1000. That is why I want to hire from the Airport. It’s just tuff finding the suitable car that 4WD and has Snowtyres.

6. Donzah

They will move a car to a airport if needed.
    I drove one year. The car I had came down from Hokkaido.
    You'll need to put a special request in.

7. ojisan

ojisan Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

they shipped a car all the way from Hokkaido just for you? :eek:

You must be a pretty special person LOL

8. RyanMM75

RyanMM75 Hard Yards

Thank you Donzah i will try touching base with a hire company. Do you remember the cost?.

9. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

4 people = better off with a station wagon?

10. Slowpony

Slowpony Addicted

11. PMG

PMG One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Very squeezy with four and gear. Okay with three.

Donzah likes this.
  12. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

Yeh, would be squeezy if you drove from Narita. Was thinking more along the lines of collecting car at Iiyama St, short drive to Akakura with all luggage then day trips just with required boots,skis, boards.
    If you drove from Narita you'd have to include 2 extra days of hire car for travel + snow tyre fees per day and tolls as Donzah said. I'm not convinced there are huge savings to be had by renting from Narita for 4 people (each paying their own way).
    Quick Example: for the exercise I'll keep the car rental base price the same at $60 per day.
    Possible Narita numbers: 9 days skiing, so need + 2 extra days travel = therefore 11 days car hire + snow tyres fee + tolls.
    11 x $60 per day = $660, +$20 snow tyres = $220, + tolls = $220, + a tank of petrol for freeway travel there and back = $100
    TOTAL = $1200 (this total doesn't include petrol and tolls locally whilst travelling to hills etc each day as its the same for either option).
    Possible numbers if renting car from Iiyama St: 9 days skiing, + 1 extra days travel from Iiyama & Myoko return = 10 days car hire required, no snow tyre free, no tolls.
    10 x $60 per day = $600, + petrol for travel between Iiyama and Myoko = $10
    TOTAL = $610.
    So difference between renting from Narita compared to Iiyama St would be an extra $590 going from Narita.
    Cost of travel on train to Iiyama from Narita = $210 per person (using JR East Pass) = $840 for 4 people.
    So, looking at the above........catching the train from Narita to Iiyama and renting from there works out $250 more expensive in total or lets say about $60-65 per person more based on 4 people.
    However, NOTE: If you drove from Narita you would most certainly require a bigger car for comfort / space for the long trip. Bigger car would most likely cost another + $20 more per day in rental. $20 x 12 days would eliminate any difference in overall cost between the 2 options.
    I'd take the train and rent a smaller car from Iiyama.

#12 Zimbooo, Apr 11, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    nfip likes this.
  13. RyanMM75

RyanMM75 Hard Yards

Agreed

14. RyanMM75

RyanMM75 Hard Yards

Sorry Slowpony to sound amateurish but what’s an ETC card?

15. Slowpony

Slowpony Addicted

automatic toll payment system, don't have to stop & pay at each toll gate, they send a statement after your trip & use the credit card that you paid for when the ETC card was ordered.
    https://www.tocoo.jp/etc/index?lang=en

RyanMM75 likes this.
  16. RyanMM75

RyanMM75 Hard Yards

Absolute sensational advice Zimbooo.
    I just did the Math knowing our exact situation and your very close getting the Bullet train etc to Liyama would only cost $340 more $85 each. As long as they don’t charge for snow tyres and there rental prices are the same I think its $85 well spent to save driving from Narita. Does the JR pass cover the Airport to Tokyo train as well?

17. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

Yes, you can take the JR East "NEX" train from Narita to Tokyo using the JR East Nagano/Niigata Pass. The Pass is valid for 14 days from day of first use.

RyanMM75 likes this.
  18. Slowpony

Slowpony Addicted

just as a comparison, it cost us just under Yen 9200 per day without tolls or petrol, that included insurance, snow tyres & the GPS with unlimited wifi

19. RyanMM75

RyanMM75 Hard Yards

Slowpony that is a great price, what type of car and where did you hire it from?

20. RyanMM75

RyanMM75 Hard Yards

Ignore that message Slowpony im just checking your link now

21. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

Obviously too early for next winter rates but currently I could rent from Iiyama:
    a) Wingroad station wagon (5 seater) for 10 days = 60,700 Yen.
    or
    b) Serena (8 seater) for 10 days = 102,000 Yen.
    Both of the above were not 4WD versions, so you'd have to put about 1,500 Yen per day on top of that for 4WD (according to Nissan rentacar).
    Big thing is the daily rate between the two size vehicles............considerable.

RyanMM75 likes this.
  22. hotsaki

hotsaki One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Having driven around Myoko the last two seasons I would not be happy in a 2WD.Then again you have three mates to push the vehicle!

M_G and RyanMM75 like this.
  23. Donzah

If only they had ski racks...................................
    (or even roof racks)

24. Donzah

It also depends what flight you're getting into narita/haneda on.

Any later than the JAL flight (ie 5pm) - Screw driving to Myoko
    Likewise the 5am ANA or Jal flight into Haneda. You'll have to wait ages for the rental car agencies to open. Then battle peak hour traffic getting onto the Chuo exp.

25. RyanMM75

RyanMM75 Hard Yards

JAL flight lands at Narita 8:40am, departs 11am but we leave Myoko at the end of the days skiing the day before and stay at airport accommodation. We get there late but do not waste a days skiing and get a sleep in for our pain.

Donzah likes this.
  26. Donzah

Yeah sweet. With a 8.40am arrival. You'd never get to Myoko in time to have a ski on the first day anyways.

IMO i'd look for a Toyota wish from NRT.
    With snowtyres and 4wd.
    They are a 7 seater . Split rear folding seats . Split the two on the left and your board bags etc can slid down there
    Passengers sit 2 front, then 1, then 1
    [​IMG]

Mils and RyanMM75 like this.
  27. RyanMM75

RyanMM75 Hard Yards

Sorry Slowplay one more question did you run into any trouble in the snow areas with these vans not being 4WD?.

28. M_G

No. Just don't do it.

29. Slowpony

Slowpony Addicted

Slowplay? I suppose that could suit
    No, we were a bit further north of Myoko still in Niigata. Plenty of snow, roads well maintained.
    I do understand people's concern or want for a bit a of a safety factor, in general for us, the van did everything we needed it to do.

30. RyanMM75

RyanMM75 Hard Yards

MG when you say “just don’t do it” do you mean 4WD or just don’t do it?

31. ojisan

ojisan Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I think he is referring to 4WD...

RyanMM75 likes this.
  32. RyanMM75

RyanMM75 Hard Yards

Lol sorry slowpony

33. dan72

dan72 Hard Yards

North ? LOL Might need to buy yourself a compass Slowplay.LOL

Go 4WD if youre not driving on well maintained roads, we had some spinning wheel moments in the van when it snowed for a few days on end, but nothing to worry about.

34. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

Hows the legroom in the 3rd row?
    Would be a good game of scissors/paper/rock I reckon before leaving Narita for Myoko. LOL
    Especially if the weather was foul.

35. M_G

Correct!
    Sorry, I've seen too many people come unstuck in 2WD, or rather 'stuck'. I gave up digging out Tokyo'ites in 2WD on our street last season. I also struggled in Madarao many years ago in a 2WD rental.

Slowpony likes this.
  36. Paradox

Paradox Addicted

I agree. I am perfectly comfortable in a 2wd vehicle with ABS braking and SNOW TYRES.

Given an easy option to get a 4wd, sure I would get one. But in all the time I have driven there there has only been one situation where I would have liked it and that was a narrow steep backstreet with 50cm of fresh on it. The clearance was too low and I was snow plowing and I am not sure 4wd would have helped. I just turned around and went another way.

I understand people would prefer to get a 4wd, and by all means do it if it all falls together nicely. However my experience is that it is not always an easy option and can actually significantly increase the hire costs or effect where and how you hire a vehicle. So I think it is important for people to realise:
    1. You are not safer in a 4wd. Braking is always 4 wheels even in a 2wd, 4wd just allows power to 4 wheels. People forget this.
    2. Snow tyres are the essential element. Do not under any circumstances not get snow tyres or think a 4wd will negate the need. A 2wd car with snow tyres has significantly better traction than a 4wd with normal tyres.
    3. Most people are concerned about traction during and after big dumps....Fresh snow is surprisingly grippy.
    4. 4wd will help in limited situations, but it will generally be a destination start or finish situation where you cant get to where you want, and often nothing a bit of push or dig power won't overcome. But even in most of those clearance is what you really need, not 4wd.
    So in short - 4wd if you can get it no problem, but 2wd is perfectly fine too. Snow tyres are a must. Do not accept a hire vehicle without them on.

Born2ski and RyanMM75 like this.
  37. Paradox

Paradox Addicted

Surely they had normal tyres M_G? Your street isn't that steep!!

38. Crispy013

Crispy013 One of Us

Not steep. Just icy I’m guessing.

39. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

I had a 4wd 2018 subuaru imprezza sport (had done 1200km) in hokkaido this year and it was 1200NZD for 12 days (insurance roadside rescue, tolls included,roof racks, snow tyres, gps) just me and the mrs but we had our ryokan manager one day with BC gear and it was fine. 4 wouldnt been an issue..this was in hokkaido though!

Zimbooo likes this.
  40. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

Should this go into that other thread about "only in Japan"?
    Hokkaido has ski/snowboard roof racks with hire car rental, but in Honshu NO (even with same company).
    Crazy F@ckers.

nfip and Donzah like this.
  41. Paradox

Paradox Addicted

Icy is dangerous even in a 4wd. But will still be useless if you don't have snow tyres and many Tokyo'ites drive up without them.

Born2ski likes this.
  42. M_G

In less than ideal conditions I've sometimes struggled going up and slid more than once going down. And that's an experienced driver in a car pretty much spot on for any conditions.

We had a staff member from Tokyo with a 2WD. We sorted some winter tyres for him but there were occasions he'd leave the car down in front of Shibata on the main street because he couldn't get up. I also had a 2WD in Madarao once with snow tyres and got stuck trying to go up a hill and that was on a road that had been ploughed.

I'm just imparting numerous years of experience on the issue. People can make their own decisions though.

43. nfip

nfip Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

My experience fwiw.
    4 blokes and all the usual gear.
    ToCoo hire Iiyama station .
    Serena wagon (2wd) with snow tyres.
    2 weeks plus Madarao , Myoko and beyond.
    At times had 5 or 6 peeps in there for day trips.

Was fine most of the time.
    Did have one or 2 slidey moments in driveways or some uphill heading icey corners in town.
    More a case of being bit more carefull / aware of the conditions.
    All in all tho worked fine for us , tho not putting the time / hard yards in there that @M_G does.

Consider also hassles with snow / traffic delays from Narita to Myoko .
    May possibly turn into a 12 hr trip.
    @Donzah flagged this with me when I was crunching the same details a few years back.

Zimbooo, Tanuki and Paradox like this.
  44. Paradox

Paradox Addicted

Yeah that's my point though. Dicey is dicey no matter what you are driving. I agree 4wd is better in those instances (going up anyway, going down 4wd makes no difference), but in most cases the problem is within 100m of your destination, not general road driving.

I can see 4wd making a huge difference for you and your team, because you are driving in and out every day, all season and shit needs to get done no matter what.

However, I get the feeling that a lot of people wont even consider a 2wd on the basis it's unsafe generally or it just wont get them where they want to go. I disagree with that and if a 4wd can't be sourced or you ask for it and turns out its a 2wd when you pick it up (happens a lot) it is not the end of the world and will most likely do everything you want no problem. If conditions are dicey/icy, then you need to be a little more cautious driving up hills, but that goes for 4wd too, it doesn't turn cars into snowcats.

nfip likes this.
  45. M_G

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree. To my way of thinking you rent a car on the basis of encountering worst possible conditions. And I've been in conditions where a 2WD simply wouldn't hack it.

Zimbooo likes this.
  46. Donzah

4wd helps you push over road clearing mounds etc IMO.
    I've seen small cars lose traction as their front wheels struggle to push up and over the icey mounds the graders push out.
    4wd cars are also better for engine braking.

Zimbooo and M_G like this.
  47. Donzah

Yeah . If snow falls in strange places. The expressway companies don't have the machinery to get rid of the snow.

nfip likes this.
  48. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

That was eye opening, many thanks :)

49. Donzah

Its really interesting
    I've driven the same car in both 2wd and 4wd (push button) in snow.
    I'd say the difference is slight.
    However if you get in trouble . 2wd's are a bitch to drag out a snowbank/ditch backwards.

Paradox likes this.
  50. hotsaki

hotsaki One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Would be good to organise a run from Myoko to say Arai in a Nissan Nismo GTR versus a Camaro Ecorcist.The Camaro has a lot more power but Nissan is AWD.Both on winter tyres of course.Paradox could drive the Camaro and I would volunteer forthe GTR.MG could follow in 660cc Honda microvan.Also AWD.