1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Car Hire Myoko Kogen

Discussion in 'Japan' started by RyanMM75, Apr 10, 2019.

1. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

2. Paradox

Paradox Addicted

bah ha ha....i'd forgotten i'd told you I had an Exorcist. Mate that thing spins wheels on hot tarmac at 100km/h, no hope in snow!!! I'll take on the GTR in summer though :)
    Motor Mag are doing a test drive for a big spread on it next month. Keep an eye out.

hotsaki likes this.
  3. Dougjuan

Dougjuan First Runs

Minor suggestion to your calculation is if you aren't going to be doing lots of train travel whilst you're in JP, don't bother getting a JR Pass. A one way ticket from Narita to Iiyama is approx Y5,600 = $80@70Y/AUD.
    I'm looking at car hire in Iiyama now for a week around Myoko in Jan2020.

4. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

Incorrect.
    You did not include the seat fee of Y5,020 or Y5500 as seen in examples below.
    Lowest total one way price on JR using NEX & Shink = Y11,120.
    Lowest one way price using a combo of Skyliner and Shink is Y10,690.

Donzah and M_G like this.
  5. Paradox

Paradox Addicted

Yeah once you have 3 or 4 people the numbers start to point to hiring from the airport as the most cost effective.

But... the biggest factor against driving from Tokyo with 4 people for me is luggage. I can hire a Wingroad or similar from Nagano or Iiyama pretty cheaply, drop the rear seats for luggage and board bags and 2 people can take the train/bus up to where you are staying. During the stay, moving 4 people between resorts with boards/ski's is comfortable enough in a Wingy. I would not want to attempt it from Tokyo with full travel gear. You would have to spend on a bigger car to do it and that kills your numbers.

M_G likes this.
  6. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

We did three (adults) in a wing from Tokyo and it was perfect.
    4... you'd need roof racks

Paradox, Zimbooo and M_G like this.
  7. Paradox

Paradox Addicted

Yep, definitely, but even then strapping say 4 boardbags to the roof is an exercise in itself and then you have both snow tyres and roofracks as extras that need to be ordered and put on the vehicle with the potential to go wrong and delay you. Should be ok, but...it is car hire, and we are talking about people saving a bit of money so they will be going for the lower cost companies...

Then there is the problem if you want to spend a night in Tokyo at either end as well....Got the bug for VR Zone Shinjuku last trip...:D:D

I would miss the rail travel to be honest, definitely an enjoyable part of the trip you would miss for little real benefit in my view. If you were travelling somewhere less accessible by rail than the Myoko area or wanted to do some sightseeing on the way, I could see an airport hire as attractive, but otherwise I find hiring out of Nagano or Iiyama preferable purely for simplicity.

M_G likes this.