1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Car park, snow transport (Falls Creek)

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by stormieday, Apr 10, 2018.

1. stormieday

stormieday First Runs

Dear all, I am planning to drive up to Falls Creek during the 1st week of Sep 2018 with family (2 young kids less than 4 years old). I understand that before 11 Sep, roads are closed to vehicles. Is it difficult to drag 2 kids, and luggage to the snow transport from designated car park to transport us to resort?

I am looking to let the kids play with snow, and maybe doing some beginner skiing for the adults. Is staying near Slalom Plaza my best option? Any recommendations?

My elder child is 3 years old, what is the minimum age for him to try out skiing?

2. gaz35

gaz35 One of Us

I have only ever stayed at the Falls Creek Country Club and as it is on the main road there is no need to use the oversnow. But if you are staying more in the Village I understand that you pick up the oversnow on the main road at the transfer centre. This is where you organise to park your car as well.

If you wish to avoid using the oversnow staying in slalom plaza would work.

I think my daughters started at about age three, maybe a little older. Was a long time ago

Chaeron likes this.
  3. Langfi

Langfi Hard Yards

The process was the following when we went to falls. Drive to the oversnow transport area and unload all your bags (and excess people). Then we were followed to a parking spot by a Falls Creek vehicle. We parked our car and they drove us back to the oversnow building. You really only need 1 of you to go park the car. I assume that is still the method.

After that you catch oversnow to the accom.

currawong likes this.
  4. Froff Life

Froff Life A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Oversnow transport is a total rip-off. Definitely check the village map to see how far your accom is from the main road/oversnow transport area. We got stung because they insisted we had to use it, and then drove us all of 80m to the door of our accom, an expensive lesson learnt.
    Obviously if you're further away from the main road or centre then it becomes more efficient, especially with kids

Sadie likes this.
  5. Pisteoff

Pisteoff Hard Yards

You can drop gear (and passengers) at oversnow then park. You are then transported back to oversnow at no extra cost. For 20 years we walked all of our gear plus 3 kids to a lodge about half way up the hill to save $$$$. Lots of huffing and puffing but we often found that we got there more quickly than the people who had to wait for oversnow transport. Kids carried a backpack even when young. Usually also a second trip for some of us.

We have also used the gully chair on many occasions. Not officially allowed but as long as we didn't have a lot of gear we always got away with it. Getting back down is easy - put skis on, wear a large backpack, esky in one hand, large bag in the other and point the skis downhill.

We started our kids skiing at 3 years old. We borrowed some short skis that were tied onto walking boots. The kids skied between our legs and we then released them when the slope was right and grabbed them again when there was a steep section. They got a feel for it really quickly and there was never an issue except 3 year olds have no sense of danger and would happily ski into other skiiers or down a big drop. Ski school was too expensive for us and we had had a little ski instructing experience.

You could put a 3 yo in ski school and they would be looked after really well. Good luck with it.

Froff Life likes this.
  6. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

As others have said, drop off luggage and passengers (where feasible) at oversnow (now called Accommodation Transfer Service). Then wait in car where directed to be taken to parking. You will then be driven back to oversnow.

Oversnow is much better than it used to be. You also have the option of sending all the luggage with one person (you get the first 3 pieces of luggage included in the fare and then pay $7 per piece). It's not clear whether your family includes a 2nd adult. If so then it is probably least stressful for one adult, kids and luggage to go by oversnow while other adult parks the car and then walks up, or catches gully chair if staying near the top of that lift. Of course if you are staying very close to the main road, oversnow is not needed. There are some short term car parks near the resort management building where you can unload if you are staying close to slalom plaza.

You used to be allowed to take luggage on gully chair, but alas no more.

When there are beginners and kids going to ski school, staying near slalom plaza makes life much simpler. Otherwise you are at the mercy of the free but not very regular village shuttles. If you are more interested in snow play, then location and getting to the top on time is probably less important. Staying fairly close to a village shuttle stop is probably still a good idea.There are kids activities in the village bowl (top of gully chair, and also served by village shuttle) and the main toboggan slope is at windy corner, reachable by the high plains rd shuttle. Some 3 year olds take to skiing, others need to wait a bit longer.

You haven't said anything about budget. That might play a big part in where you stay. With unlimited budget and young kids, i would recommend pretty valley lodge. All meals included, very kid friendly, located at slalom plaza. But not cheap.

7. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Try for an apartment in the 'Les Chalets' complex right next to slalom plaza (if it suits your budget). Then you can give oversnow a miss, park in the short term carpark near resort admin (less than 100 m from the accomm), unload and carry your gear to your rooms, before moving car to long term parking. Good location for Falls Express lift or close to a shuttle bus stop where you can take a free bus to toboggan area near xc shelter with small cafe. Not far from pubs, restaurants, pizza at Last Hoot in Snowlands complex, ski hire etc. Just a suggestion but based on some experience. Staying higher up in the village has other advantages but oversnow transport is a pain worth avoiding.

8. Tom from Melbourne

Tom from Melbourne Hard Yards

Echo everyone else's advice here: check map and if close to road you can do it yourself before you move your car to long term parking.

One hint for transferring luggage yourself is to use a toboggan as a sled.

9. currawong

By all means, avoid the cost of oversnow if that makes sense for you. Just don't cut off your nose to spite your face. For many people it is a good service that simplifies settling into your accommodation.

Tips for oversnow
    1. try not to arrive on sunday afternoon, or friday night. These are peak times and there probably will be long queues
    2. Book your return trip when you buy arrive. You will almost certainly get the timeslot you want. Leave to the day before you want to leave and you may not be able to get transport at the time you want
    3. Use a few big bags, not lots of little ones. If you are taking your own food, big plastic crates are good. Cheap lightweight zip up bags are good for consolidating small items.

Bogong likes this.
  10. stormieday

stormieday First Runs

Hi all, thank you for the helpful tips! Yes, my wife is the 2nd adult. We have no ski gear, so should we rent it before we arrive at Falls Creek, or at Falls Creek? I would require wheel chains to park at the overnight parking? I am driving a 4WD Toyota Rav4.

If I stay at Les Chalets, is it ski in ski out? Ie. just put on skis, step outside and I can get onto Wombats Ramble?

Chriscross > The short term parking you are referring to is the Slalom North Day Carpark? (see picture) And it is quite feasible to park there and walk if we stay near Slalom Plaza, eg. Les Chalets or Pretty Valley Lodge?

Currawong > The kids ski school is at Slalom Plaza? And there are kids activities at the Village Bowl? If I stay at Slalom Plaza, I would need to take the shuttle to the Gully Chair then ride up to the Village Bowl?

Attached Files:

11. currawong

by law you must always carry chains when driving to falls creek. in a 4wd you will rarely need to fit them. but if there is any ice or snow on the road you need to adjust your driving style. keep everything smooth, no sudden brakng, acceleration or turning. fit chains if in doubt.

slalom north day car park is all-day parking and most likely will be full if you arrive anywhere between 8:30 and 3. there are a handful of carparks just above there on the map, at the number 1/heart symbol. Not sure of exact time, maybe 15 mins. This is where it is good to load/unload if you are staying at Les Chalet or thereabouts.

be aware that les chalet is multi-storey so expect stairs.

ski in ski out depends on the amount of snow. usually at les chalet in first week of september you could still ski to/from the front of the property, but not in a poor year. You will probably have to walk up from the road to your building. you may be able to ski from wombats ramble directly to your building but not as an absolute beginner.

ski school is at the top of halley's comet chair.

the village shuttle goes from the orange 1.Slalom Plaza stop on your map up to the village bowl. this is the easiest way to get there, but it can require queuing for quite a while.the road shuttle plus gully chair offers a good alternative, especially if you have an adult for each child. gully chair is free and runs at a speed suitable for walkers to get on and off. depending on snow conditions and time of the season, you may find Pete the Snowdragon show with songs etc (free, once a week), snow show skiing demo and fireworks (free, once a week), toddlers toboggan slope (free but you have to hire a toboggan), snow tube (pay for, not sure if there is a min age), mini snow mobiles for little kids (pay for). There is a new chairlift being installed at the village bowl, with substantial earthworks. That may change location of some activities.

where to rent? conventional wisdom says rent on the mountain so it is easy to change stuff if it's not right. in fact most mt beauty ski hires have arrangements with on mountain places to help if you have problems. if you are advance buying lift & lesson tickets for everyday of you stay then hiring gear from the lift co as part of the package cab be cost effective. otherwise there are better places to rent. be aware that it can take quite a while to get all your gear in a rental place. don't expect to hire on mountain in the morning and still make it to lessons on time. hire the day before, either off mountain or on mountain.

you can rent skis/boards, boots, poles, ski pants, jackets, helmets. the rest you will need to buy or borrow. the aldi ski sale is a great source of cheap thermal underwear, socks, cheap (but not necessarily good) gloves. It can be very crowded and chaotic. for little ones extra changes of clothes and especially gloves can make the difference between fun and misery.

#11 currawong, Apr 11, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  12. Skipress

Skipress Hard Yards Ski Pass: Gold

Pretty Valley Lodge offers free ski/snow equipment to its guests. Well located for your requirements

13. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates One of Us

Everything depends on where your accommodation is located. Oversnow for at least one adult & the kids if you're tight or walk.