Cardrona to install NZ's most pointless lift

Hagle

Hard Yards
Jan 2, 2018
Red Hill, Qld
Got chatting with one of the resort managers on Captain’s chair on Monday. It was quite windy and we were saying how exposed the three main lifts were. That’s when we got the quick download on the Cardrona 10-year plan. Already a couple of years into the plan with the new Doogs Chondola (only in NZ?). Re-purpose the old Doogs chair below Captains, to open up more advanced terrain - its sheltered and holds snow longer than anywhere else (his words). Already permitted and to be installed for 2019. Done the deal with Darby for Soho. Cardrona will own and operate the lift infrastucture only. Darby retains rights for accommodation, restauraunts, etc. Have to re-apply to Council for development approval for Soho lifts. Aim is to have two lifts operating for 2021 season. Later development to inlude on-mountain accommodation, restaurants and services on Soho side. Also hopeful, of combined TC-Cardrona lift ticket returning...

RichardP

Hard Yards
Jan 8, 2016
lastest RC in
upload_2019-10-26_22-27-43.png

upload_2019-10-26_22-28-16.png

So the new bunker is called Darby lodge :) well played

Reactions: ScottGN

Red_switch

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2006
Dunedin, NZ
Got chatting with one of the resort managers on Captain’s chair on Monday. It was quite windy and we were saying how exposed the three main lifts were. That’s when we got the quick download on the Cardrona 10-year plan. Already a couple of years into the plan with the new Doogs Chondola (only in NZ?). Re-purpose the old Doogs chair below Captains, to open up more advanced terrain - its sheltered and holds snow longer than anywhere else (his words). Already permitted and to be installed for 2019. Done the deal with Darby for Soho. Cardrona will own and operate the lift infrastucture only. Darby retains rights for accommodation, restauraunts, etc. Have to re-apply to Council for development approval for Soho lifts. Aim is to have two lifts operating for 2021 season. Later development to inlude on-mountain accommodation, restaurants and services on Soho side. Also hopeful, of combined TC-Cardrona lift ticket returning...
Pringles, below captains, has some good terrain, but does not hold snow very well.

MisterMxyzptlk

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2002
@Red_switch has an almost phd on where stays ;)
One of the big reasons they wanted Soho is because it's a south facing slope- (I'm trying to think of another one in Otago @Red_switch ?)
To say Pringles holds snow well is a bit odd
I suspect what they mean is it holds snow "better" because it's more Easterly facing and has a lot of rock features and gullies that act as natural snow fences but at the end of the day anything below Captains's and the return trail is subject to variable conditions

Red_switch

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2006
Dunedin, NZ
One of the big reasons they wanted Soho is because it's a south facing slope- (I'm trying to think of another one in Otago @Red_switch ?)
To say Pringles holds snow well is a bit odd
I suspect what they mean is it holds snow "better" because it's more Easterly facing and has a lot of rock features and gullies that act as natural snow fences but at the end of the day anything below Captains's and the return trail is subject to variable conditions
All of Coronet Peak (more or less).

Doolans.

Doolans is probably the best "accessible" basin in the Southern Lakes for skiing.

Dumphfish

Addicted
Oct 9, 2017
Heard someone in the queue at Cardies talking about a 'new' lift going into Willow Basin next year. Anyone else know more about this?

Reactions: snowgum

expatgm

One of Us
Aug 4, 2014
Queenstown
There goes the neighbourhood , I wish they would leave places like this in their natural state for people who make the effort to be there. ( ie skitourers) This of course will fall on deaf ears to those who are behind the project.

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
There goes the neighbourhood , I wish they would leave places like this in their natural state for people who make the effort to be there. ( ie skitourers) This of course will fall on deaf ears to those who are behind the project.
@expatgm ski tourers weren't allowed in there anyway. There's plenty more out there.

Reactions: nezumi

TOFF

Triple premiership Pants man
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Wuhan
Should be able to drop in straight from main base area?

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
I’ve never been denied access to any Cardrona BC so not sure what that means.
I was told touring in Soho Basin had been restricted once the Cat Skiing operation started. They didn't want folks messing it up for their paying guests.

teleroo

<\unencrypted>
Ski Pass
Jun 19, 2019
Illawarra
Nice range of season pass offerings from Cardrona. Quite flexible with some OS options too. Good value I would imagine, especially if you snagged an OS trip to Japan or Panorama.

Red_switch

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2006
Dunedin, NZ
In the scheme of things, it's a pretty small area of leasehold land, at the top of a ski field access road. With a little more effort there is a shitload of snow and terrain out there in the lower South Island, and I never see anyone else on any of it.

It's well known that Cardrona are not totally welcoming of ski-tourers, and given the land tenure situation up there, what they say goes.

What I can say, for sure, is that Wayfarer/Real Journeys seems to be moving away from their long held company values, and that was seemingly pretty evident through the pandemic last year.

N0frilz

Addicted
Jul 13, 2015
Anyway, anything to suck more punters away from the other Southern Lakes hills and concentrate them at Cardrona is a good thing in my book.

At least they are developing the resort, be interesting what there plan is for the road next.......

Red_switch

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2006
Dunedin, NZ
At least they are developing the resort, be interesting what there plan is for the road next.......
The fact that they occupy freehold (Cardrona) and leasehold (Soho) land makes it much easier for them to develop. Remarkables, Coronet Peak and Treble Cone are all on conservation land which increases the planning/permissions burden substantially (not in itself a bad thing, tbh).

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass