1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Cash or Card?

Discussion in 'Japan' started by streetdaddy, Nov 22, 2015.

1. streetdaddy

streetdaddy Early Days

Would love to hear any advice from anyone from seasonnaires or those who've done long-ish trips ... I'm around Niseko and Nozawaonsen for a few months, and after reading many wildly contradictory and random opinions around the interwebs, I'm not sure if I should be carrying around a large wad of Yen, using a low-forex-rate credit card at ATMs (if there are any), or a mixture of both... Its seems as though I'll get much more useful insights from folks on here! Thanks in advance...

2. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Carrying a lot of cash is pretty normal in Japan. You can usually only get a reliable supply of cash from ATMs in Post Offices (usually 9am-5pm) and 7-11 (not other convenience stores, just 7-11)
    At Nozawa Onsen, there is a post office, but no 7-11 (closest are two at Iiyama, about 15km away)

Not sure about ATMs at Niseko these days.

If you change cash from AUD to Yen, make sure you DON'T do it in Japan, as the rate will be worse.
    e.g. Current rate is around 89, you will get around 85-87 yen per AUD in Australia, but around 78-80 yen/AUD in Japan.

3. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

Citibank Plus account with a Visa debit card. No Citibank foreign transaction fees and an exchange rate very close to the market rate.

https://www.citibank.com.au/aus/banking/everyday_banking/citibank_plus.htm

Withdraw cash at the airport and then any 7-Eleven ATM or Post Office ATM. Use your visa card where you can but for restaurants/shops you'll mostly need cash. Also many lodges will only take cash so work out what you'll need and stock up on yen when you visit an ATM.

tonks, mrtonya and travelislife like this.
  4. streetdaddy

streetdaddy Early Days

Thanks for the advice so far, very helpful :) Especially since I already have a Citibank Plus card!

blowfin and Richard like this.
  5. Born2ski

On a little side note, those 7-Bank ATMs can also be found outside of 7-Eleven stores. For example Prince Naeba resort has a 7-Bank ATM in building 4 even though there is no 7-Eleven in the complex.

Here's a 7-bank ATM locator. http://pkg.navitime.co.jp/sevenbank/?lang=en

Richard and streetdaddy like this.
  6. Sandy

There's also an increasing number of JP Bank ATMs (which is Japan Post)
    Look like this:
    [​IMG]

7. skifree

skifree grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Cash

Hyst likes this.
  8. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

Products change from year to year but this appears to be about the best arrangement and pretty much applies to all main ski destinations with obvious local application variables.

Use online banking to balance the various transactions and you can avoid most fees and interest charges except some ATM fees. Carry a back up card such as a 28 degrees card and keep the limit low to avoid fraud related clean outs.

9. Musgrove

Musgrove Addicted

Cash is king.

Hyst and dr80 like this.
  10. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

Access to cash is king ....

dr80 and Musgrove like this.
  11. Crispy013

Crispy013 One of Us

Citibank card for withdrawing cash from atm and 28 degrees card for credit purchases where you can.

Vermillion and travelislife like this.
  12. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

There are more options now than there used to be years ago, especially in the main tourist areas, but I still always have a fair amount in cash.
    I still do a rough budget for trip, subtract what I have pre-paid and what I have confirmed can be paid by credit card and take the rest in cash.

skifree likes this.
  13. Sandy

Any Visa debit card will always work in 7-11, 7-Bank, Post Office or JP Bank ATMs.
    The same applies to Mastercard, except when 7-Bank has an agreement dispute with Mastercard, but will work at Post Office or JP Bank ATMs.
    However, they will invariably NOT work in typical Japanese ATMs. Period.

Some will work in Citbank ATMs (if you can find them, as there are not many.)

tonks likes this.
  14. sara777

sara777 A Local Ski Pass: Gold

That is really useful link BTS :thumbs:

15. Born2ski

16. skichanger

skichanger A Local Ski Pass: Gold

One thing to be aware of wrt the ATMs inside the post office is that the hours are limited. So business hours and Saturday mornings and they are closed at night, on Saturday afternoons, Sundays and public holidays.

And relatively recently they have reduced the amount you can withdraw each time to 100,000 yen. First time I used on the limit was 1 million yen. I was a bit shocked!

17. Sandy

18. sara777

How is it around Myoko? Some in 7/11 when I am looking at that link BTS provided..

19. JoeKing

JoeKing Old n' Thrusty Ski Pass: Gold

Just take cash.

20. Donza

Donza Pool Room

I only take 2000 yen or so to japan now.
    I just withdraw at Narita ....then 7/11 as I need it.
    Nothing like it used to be.

21. skichanger

There are 7/11s about every 5km down route 18. All the ones I have been in have ATMs. You go past one on the way up from the station.
    There is one in the post office at Akakura Onsen. Probably one in the post office at Myoko Kogen as well and the other post offices around. Not my local so have not been in them.

I got cash from a 7 holdings ATM at T3 this time. There was also an Aeon ATM but my card will not work in that.

It is actually harder and way more expensive to get cash before you go.

sara777 likes this.
  22. sara777

I always take a combination. My Qantas cash card is Mastercard, so presumably useless, but I normally used my Visa to withdraw some cash at Narita airport and will go from there.

23. skichanger

If you put cash on your Qantas card that is then converted to yen you will get a terrible exchange rate. The citibank Plus account with a Visa Debit card uses the Visa exchange rate at the time and charges no fees. You get something very close to the official exchange rate.

Some ATMs will let you use mastercard. I just know that the 7/11 and post office ones let you use Visa debit cards.

sara777 likes this.
  24. skichanger

So I just thought I would do a quick comparison on the Qantas card compared with the citibank plus card.
    Current exchange rates:
    Qantas Card: https://www.qantascash.com/why-qantas-cash/daily-rates/
    1 AUD = 80.6320 JPY
    1 JPY = 0.0124 AUD
    and there is a fee of either Au$1.95 or 160 yen.

Citibank Plus account Visa Debit card: https://www.visaeurope.com/making-payments/exchange-rates
    1 JAPANESE YEN = 0.0113520000- Or - AUSTRALIAN DOLLAR
    1 AUSTRALIAN DOLLAR = 88.0902043693 JAPANESE YEN

So roughly about a 10% difference.

mrtonya, streetdaddy and sara777 like this.
  25. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Niseko ATM in Shiki building is easy, reliable, not known it to run out of cash.

I take cash, keep cash, but use CC where possible.

When young one was a seasonaire in multinational backpackers accom I supplied him with a travel safe for spare CC, cash and passport. He would attach it to underside of bed and there were never any worries about losing wads of cash.

Other than that I've never had a concern carrying large sums in Japan.

sara777 likes this.
  26. sara777

Yes, won't be using Qantas card. I know about the Citibank Plus advantage, but is it worth it opening yet another account?

27. almontyrat

almontyrat One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I Know the Qantas card currently has a pretty poor exchange rate compared to Citibank but I am SOOOO glad I loaded it up before the dollar fell. I loaded it at 1 AUD = 93 JPY so definitely a bit better than the current Citibank rate. I take a wad of cash, loaded Qantas card and the Citibank card for extra cash if the wad gets thin. I thinks it called hedging ones bets.....

Ozgirl likes this.
  28. Hyst

Hyst Enjoyer Ski Pass: Gold

Years ago ATM only accepted japanese card, since I have always used cash.:(

Can you nowadays use foreign lets say VISA or MasterCard in japanese ATM's?

29. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

When I go over I usually take out enough cash first up that I think will cover all my expenses that probably cant be paid for by card. Most of the time I find more and more places accepting card and I end up with cash left over, which isnt that much of an issue. It's always good to have 2 forms of payment on you at all times just in case.

azzski and LMB like this.
  30. Crispy013

Crispy013 One of Us

Refer Sandy's post above. Generally I've found there is a good acceptance rate these days of using foreign cards in 7-11, 7-Bank, Post Office or JP Bank ATMs. Basically, I use the ATM's at the international airport when I arrive to withdraw a large amount for the trip, but can always drop into a 7-11 store (which are basically scattered everywhere along most state routes or in major cities) if I'm hovering too low mid-trip. I also try and put everything on my 28 degrees credit card where I can - lift tickets, accom, etc.

LMB, sara777 and Vermillion like this.
  31. Donza

Donza Pool Room

32. skichanger

Selected ATMs will accept foreign VISA and Mastercards.

The thing with the Citibank Plus account and the 28 degrees CC used as a debit card, is that the banks give a great exchange rate and there are no extra charges.

Probably the next best is the ING Orange card who only charge $2.50 per transaction. NAB gold card was god till the upped the fees a few years ago.

33. Crispy013

Crispy013 One of Us

Probably need to clarify - 28 degrees should only be used as credit card...and not for withdrawing cash from ATM's, otherwise it becomes a cash advance and attracts very steep interest rates.

I also use the ING direct card as my ATM withdrawal card and can vouch for it. Flat $2.50 rate and to my knowledge, a comparable exchange rate to the Citibank.

argento and Vermillion like this.
  34. skichanger

I think the people who use the 28 degrees card put it into credit and then use it as a debit card.

And yep the the orange ING direct card is the same rate as the others. The rate is set by visa not the individual bank.

35. azzski

azzski Should know better Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Just wondering, what exactly is an "etc" ATM on this map? i.e. at Furano resort, there is only an "etc" ATM on that map - should I take that to mean it's a non-Seven Bank atm and as such can't be relied upon with regular Australian accounts?

36. azzski

This was mitigated against back at the start of 2014. Any cash withdrawal is charged $4 or 3% of the amount, whichever is greater.
    http://www.28degreescard.com.au/faqs/cash-advance-fee.html

Vermillion likes this.
  37. Born2ski

The "etc" refers to its location, so it's not located in a 7-Eleven, shopping mall or airport. It will still be a 7-Bank ATM that accepts foreign cards. The one I used at Prince Naeba resort this year is marked as an "etc" ATM and I had no problems using it. The Furano one is also at a Prince resort.

azzski likes this.
  38. azzski

Sweet thanks very much - same goes for Hoshino at Tomamu. Just makes life less complicated :)

39. skichanger

Don't have one myself and was just passing on information gathered from others on here. It is good to have current information. I was considering getting one but may not bother now. Though being able to use it as a credit card and have no international transaction fee may be beneficial.

40. azzski

41. conradskis

conradskis One of Us

Yes, I have a 28 Degrees Card that I use exclusively for travel, and purchases online in foreign currencies.

Advantages:
    1) Better exchange rate than my other credit card and fewer fees
    2) If subject to fraud from overseas use, I can easily cancel it without affecting my various linked direct debits (has happened once).

For Japanese ATMs, there are some others aside from JP Bank and 7 Bank that will work, though they are few and far between. Usually they need to accept cards from the Cirrus network. Sometimes you can find ATMs badged as "International ATMs".

Note that in my experience 7 Bank only allows you to do cash withdrawals in multiples of Y10,000. JP Bank allows smaller withdrawals so is much more convenient - particularly when you just need a small amount at the end of a trip.

Re carrying around cash - my personal preference is to minimise trips to the bank and so I tend to take a fair amount of cash; also, Japan is a relatively safe country so I feel better about having large amounts of cash on me or locked up in my room than I would in (say) Europe or SE Asia. However what is best for each person tends to depend on their personal prefs, what type of accom they have, etc.

#41 conradskis, Nov 24, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  42. sara777

Ok, I applied for Citibank Plus debit card.

almontyrat and skichanger like this.
  43. skichanger

One thing to be aware of for repeated and long term use of the account, they de-activate the account if there is no activity for 6 months. If you have funds in there it is just a phone call to re-activate. If there are no funds they close it. Only takes moving a dollar in and out to keep it active. Just found out my mogul skier's account has been closed and he needs to go through the whole process to get another one. He leaves for Nth America on Saturday - :headbang: Sigh teenage boys!

sara777 likes this.
  44. Born2ski

Happened to me. Now I use the card to do internet purchases on Ebay to keep it active.
    https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/citibank-have-made-me-nervous.67868/#post-2433054

sara777 and skichanger like this.
  45. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah I do the same, it gives a much better rate than paypal and keeps the account open. 28deg/GE will also offer up deals for using the card, like $10-$20 credit into your account etc which is a nice bonus for something you essentially are using for a different purpose than just a credit card. When you add in the awesome exchange rate when purchasing in foreign currency + the odd bonus or 2, it makes sense to keep it activated. The cash advance thing really does suck though.

46. Ozgirl

Ozgirl A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Should have got the ING acct!

47. sara777

But this is just debit card, no other acc. I don't need to keep any money on it except for travel purposes, which is exactly what I will do. With the ING I would have to deposit my pay into it to keep the benefits.

48. silva

silva One of Us

Does anyone know if the ticket offices at Hakuba take international visa credit cards?

49. smackies

smackies A Local

50. Sandy

Not all....
    Tsugaike takes cash only.