Cat Skiing in Japan or what I've been up to the last 2 winters

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Idris, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Idris

Idris Early Days

(Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I've also posted it in the Snow Talk section, please let me know which is appropriate)

I've spent the last 2 winters guiding in a Cat skiing operation near Neaba, Niigata Japan.

When I say guiding, I mean I turned up expecting to work along side other guides in an existing operation.

BUT when I arrived I was presented with this (instructions not included)

[​IMG]

Which in the first season, I taught myself to drive an maintain the beast, surveyed the ski area that hadn't turned a lift in a decade and ended up with this

[​IMG]

I think we had 10 days worth of customers the first season. Starting from Scratch I think the boss was happy.

In the autumn I returned gave the cat an overhaul, built a new cabin, better seats, heating etc.

Season 2

[​IMG]

The cat skiing area is an abandoned side area of Naeba, about 2 hours out of Tokyo.

We are 4km up an old access road, that keeps us very very quiet (less than 10 ski rando per year). While not as light as Hokkido we do get a lot of snow - last year was officially low tide, we got 12m in 2 months!

Typical skiing

[​IMG]

and snowboarding

[​IMG]

I've thrown together a new website (should be at www.mikuni-cat.com url and server screw ups at them moment) at www.alpinehike.com

Anyway if anyone's interested it's ¥35,000 (€275/£240) per person , minimum 3 people
    Group rate/Private cat is ¥140,00 (€1100/£995) max 10 people

Avie gear and guiding is included, bring your own bento box for lunch ;)

If there are any omissions or suggestions for the website please let me know, I'm not much of a keyboard warrior tks.

Forum mods , if this is too much spam, please let me know and I'll tone it dow

2. crackson

crackson A Local
    Ski Pass: Gold

Top work.

3. fennekeg

fennekeg Early Days

Found a typo: "If you’re an expect looking to launch off cliffs,"

4. Tonester

Tonester One of Us

If I was in the area I’d def look you up. Sadly (well, not really) I’ll be a bit further north-east

5. zarik

zarik Hard Yards

Looks awesome, great job. So it is 140000 yen for private cat right? I think you are missing a zero

6. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Awesome. Love to see people making a go of it! Looks like fun terrain. Hopefully get to pop down next season.

7. Gimped

Gimped One of Us

Love it!
    Hmmm, how good a skier do you need to be to go cat skiing?

8. dan72

dan72 Hard Yards

That group rate is pretty good at 140000 yen

Lucky Pete likes this.
  9. Idris

Idris Early Days

Nope, should work out to be $1300USD same price as 4 at full price?

10. Idris

Idris Early Days

At our place, confident on a red (single black diamond) run. Or happy to crash a lot. So "not very" is a straight up answer.
    Almost all the non tree runs are old Red and Blue runs. Snow can be anywhere from spring corn of 5cm soft to stormday 1m fresh on 3m of unconsolidated.

11. Idris

Idris Early Days

Finally got back to the Cat

It had been sleeping since March

[​IMG]

A few hours work later

[​IMG]

12. Tonester

Tonester One of Us

I'm curious what your skill background is, that enabled you to build the cabin. Or when you say you built the cabin you really mean you got some local coachbuilder outfit or something?
    Good job btw.

13. Idris

Idris Early Days

My background (or rather schooling) is in engineering. The rest of the year I guide the "Tour du Mont Blanc" and build skis (www.idriskis.com).
    Over the years I've done things like buy 2 busted cars and made one nice one (with no workshop and minimal tools), built and renovated a couple of houses with friends.
    The cabin on the cat is a frame and seating made out of scaffold poles, wrapped in plywood and plexiglass. Not the most elegant solution, but with a set of Ryobi power tools a hammer and a field it's what I came up with ;). It keeps you warm (I fitted a coolant powered heater)and dry. And it will survive if I park the cat shiny side down (has seat belts too)
    The first cabin was just a plywood box and a few bits of plexi, but it was thrown together in a day. Biggest challenge is Japanese hardware stores don't apply to international norms concerning sizes. All the plywood is 180x90 (3ft by 6ft). Really throws off designing things off the top of your head.

14. Tonester

Tonester One of Us

nice work!

15. zarik

zarik Hard Yards

That is awesome. You could probably bring few pairs of those skis and demo/rent them to clients here in Japan. Probably could start building "brand awareness" ;) maybe spend few bucks cleanup that site and have it translated to Japanese.

On that note the hihongo link is broken and the http://www.mikuni-cat.com is still broken. Maybe make a video and plaster it centre of the page. Ask your boss to spend some money and get that site setup properly. If you can at least fix the nihongo page I want to share it on my company ski club chat(Tokyo company) maybe get you some customers.

16. Mark*V

Mark*V Hard Yards
    Ski Pass: Silver

I'd buy a pair of those skis

Idris likes this.
  17. Idris

Idris Early Days

Oh I would love to get my boss to get the website fixed properly. I finally have access to www.mikunicat.com (www.mikuni-cat.com will become a redirect). I will be fixing it over the next week and my wife will be doing the Japanese.

A couple of days ago I got the cat up to the top of the area.

We've had some snow since, and I didn't catch all of the area (I'm still learning the drone thing). But you will get the idea

hatto, zarik and Ramenman like this.
  18. Idris

Idris Early Days

Yesterday 8 Jan 2019

[​IMG]

This morning 9 Jan 2019

[​IMG]

Up at cat skiing

[​IMG]

At work

[​IMG]

CarveMan, Tanuki, Dumphfish and 3 others like this.
  19. Idris

Idris Early Days

An updated aerial view, yes I know the editing needs work

And two videos from Clients, same day

elSpike, Ramenman and Slowpony like this.
  20. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

@Idris Whats the go with access up there?? Ive done most of the abandoned skijo in the area and was planning to do a bit of touring up there next time i get back, do you guys own the rights to the land or is it a free for all?? not into poaching stuff if you had clients there but more accessing stuff in the area.

Dave6 likes this.
  21. Olgreg

Olgreg One of Us

Great thread. Just caught up with it. Question: if it doesn’t snow for, say, four days can you still get untracked ?

22. Idris

Idris Early Days

Apart from the local snowmobile club (who strictly speaking aren't allowed there but trash the place on a sunday) the 4km access road keeps most back country skiers at bay. But anyone human powered doesn't bother us, they only ever do one lap.
    Its Forestry land so you can walk.ski on it without permission, but you need permission to use an engine.

23. Idris

Idris Early Days

If we know in advance that we have a few days of no snow AND people wanting to ride all of those days we have a lot of tree runs. So i will do one run in the open to begin with and then depending on their level take them to the appropriate areas for the next couple of runs.
    Just doing runs in the open we are probably good for 12 - 14 laps so 2 days. In the trees you could add another 2-4 days depending on ability. Assuming 8 runs per day (only ever had one group do 9, average is 6 before legs give up).
    This winter we are only running Jan and Feb, the longest between significant snowfalls so far is 2 1/2 days which is normal for this place at this time of year.
    I won't run the cat if I can't give people a fair amount of fresh tracks.

Olgreg likes this.
  24. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

4km? is that all? The track up behind my place is about 9km and 1000m vert before i hit snowline, sounds like a nice stroll :)

Telemark Phat likes this.
  25. Dave6

Dave6 One of Us

Had a great day out with @Idris last Saturday. Untracked runs, top to bottom, all day. Doesn't get much better than that. Terrain was fairly cruisy, but awesome not having to compete with the masses for the fresh stuff.

blowfin likes this.
  26. Dave6

Dave6 One of Us

Ok some pics.

27. Idris

Idris Early Days

Glad you enjoyed your day with us ;)

Ramenman and Dave6 like this.
  28. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

Ahh yes the honshu bush bash!

29. Idris

Idris Early Days

A few updates

Attached Files:

zarik, Ramenman, Dave6 and 2 others like this.