Cat Skiing in Japan or what I've been up to the last 2 winters

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Idris, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Idris

Idris First Runs

(Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I've also posted it in the Snow Talk section, please let me know which is appropriate)

I've spent the last 2 winters guiding in a Cat skiing operation near Neaba, Niigata Japan.

When I say guiding, I mean I turned up expecting to work along side other guides in an existing operation.

BUT when I arrived I was presented with this (instructions not included)

[​IMG]

Which in the first season, I taught myself to drive an maintain the beast, surveyed the ski area that hadn't turned a lift in a decade and ended up with this

[​IMG]

I think we had 10 days worth of customers the first season. Starting from Scratch I think the boss was happy.

In the autumn I returned gave the cat an overhaul, built a new cabin, better seats, heating etc.

Season 2

[​IMG]

The cat skiing area is an abandoned side area of Naeba, about 2 hours out of Tokyo.

We are 4km up an old access road, that keeps us very very quiet (less than 10 ski rando per year). While not as light as Hokkido we do get a lot of snow - last year was officially low tide, we got 12m in 2 months!

Typical skiing

[​IMG]

and snowboarding

[​IMG]

I've thrown together a new website (should be at www.mikuni-cat.com url and server screw ups at them moment) at www.alpinehike.com

Anyway if anyone's interested it's ¥35,000 (€275/£240) per person , minimum 3 people
    Group rate/Private cat is ¥140,00 (€1100/£995) max 10 people

Avie gear and guiding is included, bring your own bento box for lunch ;)

If there are any omissions or suggestions for the website please let me know, I'm not much of a keyboard warrior tks.

Forum mods , if this is too much spam, please let me know and I'll tone it dow

2. crackson

crackson A Local
    Gold Bruce

Top work.

3. fennekeg

fennekeg Early Days

Found a typo: "If you’re an expect looking to launch off cliffs,"

4. Tonester

Tonester One of Us
    Gold Bruce

If I was in the area I’d def look you up. Sadly (well, not really) I’ll be a bit further north-east

5. zarik

zarik Early Days

Looks awesome, great job. So it is 140000 yen for private cat right? I think you are missing a zero

6. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete Addicted

Awesome. Love to see people making a go of it! Looks like fun terrain. Hopefully get to pop down next season.

7. Gimped

Gimped Hard Yards

Love it!
    Hmmm, how good a skier do you need to be to go cat skiing?

8. dan72

dan72 Hard Yards

That group rate is pretty good at 140000 yen

Lucky Pete likes this.
  9. Idris

Idris First Runs

Nope, should work out to be $1300USD same price as 4 at full price?

10. Idris

Idris First Runs

At our place, confident on a red (single black diamond) run. Or happy to crash a lot. So "not very" is a straight up answer.
    Almost all the non tree runs are old Red and Blue runs. Snow can be anywhere from spring corn of 5cm soft to stormday 1m fresh on 3m of unconsolidated.