Catered Chalet companies

ShaunQuigley

Hard Yards
Aug 9, 2019
Hi all

We are originally from the UK and skied in Europe a good few times. Since moving here we have really missed the catered chalet experience, Aus/US/Japan/Canada just isn't the same. Covid has meant my wife not seeing her elderly parents for a lot longer than we would have liked (as I am sure is the same for many of you). As a result we are looking at booking a trip to Europe Jan 2022 with some time in London and min 1 week, ideally (for me) longer skiing.

Have been to La Plagne, 3V, Morzine/Avoriaz in France. Thinking we would go back to Meribel. Much more beautiful than the others in my memory. Really want the kids to have that magical experience you don't get in Canada/Japan.

Back home I would have booked through crystal or latterly through smaller chalets independently. I have used travelplan for canada before but they don't seem to have any catered chalet options.

For those who have done this before, any suggestions on good websites to book through from Aus? Booking through the UK might not be terrible (package convenience of flights given we will be in London) but the exchange is going to be a big issue.

Anyone use a travel agent for this? Are Aus TAs any good at navigating catered chalet options?

thanks
Shaun

Zeroz

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 8, 2002
Bouvet Island
www.banipal.co.uk
This has come up a few times. One of the great features of Euro skiing is the variety of accom options.

I've stayed at many different chalets. Book late - in January a week or so before we arrive. Good deals, but more importantly, waiting means you pick to ski on snow rather than rocks or grass.
Euro snow accom is predictable. 2nd and 3rd weeks of Jan are always wide open and 4th week and early Feb easy. Xmas, NY, and 2nd week of Feb onwards, are a very different story.

But looks like Brexit will do serious damage to the UK chalet business model. By 2022 it may not survive.

FT - Is the party over for the chalet holiday?

Guardian British-ski-workers-set-to-lose-seasonal-jobs-after-brexit

“In the future, if a British company wants to employ British chalet staff or bar staff, they would need to get a work permit in, say, France, proving a French person couldn’t do that job by advertising at an unemployment office for eight weeks to show no one wants to apply for it; then go through a minimum two- to three-month process to get a work permit; and then, once they’ve got that, the worker must apply for an immigration visa so they can enter the country – which means it’s not going to happen.”

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
This has come up a few times. One of the great features of Euro skiing is the variety of accom options.

I've stayed at many different chalets. Book late - in January a week or so before we arrive. Good deals, but more importantly, waiting means you pick to ski on snow rather than rocks or grass.
Euro snow accom is predictable. 2nd and 3rd weeks of Jan are always wide open and 4th week and early Feb easy. Xmas, NY, and 2nd week of Feb onwards, are a very different story.

But looks like Brexit will do serious damage to the UK chalet business model. By 2022 it may not survive.

FT - Is the party over for the chalet holiday?

Guardian British-ski-workers-set-to-lose-seasonal-jobs-after-brexit

“In the future, if a British company wants to employ British chalet staff or bar staff, they would need to get a work permit in, say, France, proving a French person couldn’t do that job by advertising at an unemployment office for eight weeks to show no one wants to apply for it; then go through a minimum two- to three-month process to get a work permit; and then, once they’ve got that, the worker must apply for an immigration visa so they can enter the country – which means it’s not going to happen.”
We just got our daughters their UK passports but I don’t think they are going to be able to use them like we hoped they would.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass