Catered Chalets in Canada or US ?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by 'H' Jones, Apr 8, 2019.

1. 'H' Jones

'H' Jones One of Us
    Ski Pass: Gold

Hi Guys,

Last few years 10 or 12 of us have done a week at a catered chalet in Europe, all others live in the UK. But, this year we are thinking of Canada or maybe USA.

Trouble is, I don't recall many options for that , ie 12 people in a big catered chalet at a reasonable price. Most I know of are horribly expensive, Beaver Creek style in USA for eg.
    But in Europe it can be really cheap. La Tania cost us about AUD1k for the week.

Anyone know of reasonable options in Canada, resort is not critical, but mix skiers from near beginners to strong skiers but not extreme. Any thoughts on where to narrow my search ?
    If not catered, I'll just try and find a nice large home or lodge close to the snow and we eat out.

Cheers

2. sly_karma

sly_karma Part of the Furniture

I've not seen an equivalent to the Euro style catered chalet in Canada. Not hard to rent a chalet type property, but there won't be anyone provided to cook for you. Everything in nth America is based around cars, the assumption is you'll be able to pick up your own food and booze en route. On the plus side, these places are usually quite luxurious, and great mountain views from the outdoor hot tub is more or less standard.

'H' Jones likes this.
  3. 'H' Jones

'H' Jones One of Us

Yes, thanks Sly, that is my thought too. Some nice AirBnb places in the larger resorts, Whistler for eg. Fab luxury one in Revelstoke, catered, suspect I'll need sell a kidney or more to afford it tho as price on application haha

4. sly_karma

sly_karma Part of the Furniture

So hard to find seasonal labour in western Canada at present, crazy low unemployment. Resorts struggling to get staff, some places unable to open all of their facilities because of lack of personnel. Anyone considering offering catered accoms will have similar problems, most will not bother. Just getting units cleaned between groups is hard enough. If they persist, the price will be stratospheric as you guessed.

5. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room

$12k would easily get you a large ski in/out chalet in Sun Peaks butno catering.

However with a bit of effort I bet you arrange to for a local to come and cater for a week

6. Scooter

Scooter One of Us

Hey @'H' Jones - I think the problem is going to "reasonable price" :D

Years ago when enquiring about properties I must have been added to a mailing list that included this high end place

http://www.steamboatluxechalet.com/

Its catered (or can be and and looks bloody nice) but I suspect you might need to sell both Kidneys ;) (I still get the emails and haven't unsubscribed because I keep hoping one day.....)

If CO and Steamboat are a possible option you could check out https://www.movingmountains.com/ - They have a mix of properties and do offer a catered service as per https://www.movingmountains.com/vip-catered-chalets

I know somebody that started work with them last season and he really rates the company and the owners etc. I know you can organise someone to cook what you want if that was something that appeals. Years prior I hooked up a couple of times with two family groups (my daughter went to school with one of their daughters) that had rented one of their properties and it was pretty sweet setup - too rich for me but depending on how you split the cost could be an option.

Anyway, good luck :)

7. Ozgirl

Ozgirl A Local

The other thing is that meal boxes are a thing in the US too (ie Hello fresh) So there is that option or similar.

8. 'H' Jones

'H' Jones One of Us

thank you all, I appreciate the input largely confirming my fears. I will feed back what I find in case it helps others in the future.
    Cheers

9. craighelo

craighelo One of Us

10. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room

Attached Files:

11. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty

I know of a group that went to Breck in a catered place. See if I can track it down.

12. Ozgirl

Ozgirl A Local

TBH i am sure i have heard of catered lodges.

What about Snowbird?? Isn't the lodges their catered?

13. 'H' Jones

'H' Jones One of Us

Preliminary enquiries confirm all that has been said. Either suuuuuuuper expensive or not doable. Will discuss with the group a self cater (eat out) option as some nice houses about on AirBNB for others considering the same :)

Thanks all.

14. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty

Alta.

But these dudes are wanting a whole ‘chalet’ or house to themselves.

15. Ozgirl

Ozgirl A Local

Good point!