Cathay changed my fligh andi don't like it!

tr+h

One of Us
Jun 19, 2008
Perth,wa
I booked economy flights, Perth to New York, on Cathay. We were booked to arrive 725am in Hing Kong and then onto the 930am flight back out, which saw us arriving at 12.10pm that way, we had a short layover in Hong Kong and got the afternoon in New York to have a walk around and check the place out.

We have now received an email saying that our flight has been changed, and I assume the code that was in the email, indicates too short a layover. The flights they have now been given are the same as the economy-saver flight option which I didn't take up at the time! And, to make it worse, they have us across the back row of the plane, in the centre 4 seats, which won't recline!!,!

i Have been back onto their website and I can still book the flights that I wanted. I have been on the virtual chat and have been told to call customer service, which won't be open now till Monday!

Hs anyone had success in changing flights back in this instance?

Reactions: ladycamper

Born2ski

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane
I've also moved flights around after Virgin cancelled our original flights to the USA, but nothing with Cathay.

Reactions: Snow Dog

craighelo

One of Us
Sep 26, 2012
Tarras
I also got virgin flights changed after they changed my flight so I had an unplanned overnight in Brisbane, were able to change to transiting in Melbourne (which was a $200 more expensive when I booked)

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

but a dream within a dream
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaltown
happened to us with Thai going to Europe a few months ago
I think they reduced the number of daytime flights out of Sydney
worst thing was, spouse and I got moved to flights a day apart
we use different surnames, which might have been part of the problem
the only solution they offered was us both going on her flight, a day after the original booking
we already had an apartment booked in Paris so we lost a day on that
on the way back, a similar problem - a 13-hour layover in BKK
we went to town and got to hang out near the Erawan shrine so now we can say we just missed being blown up

ausi ski bum

A Local
Jan 1, 1970
Near Cootamundra NSW
Generally when the airline changes the flight you have room to negotiate what you want and even if this costs a bit more, they generally agree. You have no obligation to accept the changed flight in most cases.

tr+h

One of Us
Jun 19, 2008
Perth,wa
I find it interesting that I can still book my original flight. I think they are bumping people off the more popular flight, and onto the less popular flight. And to top it off, we paid an extra $250 per person for the 5 of us to get those flights!

There will be words said tomorrow! For all they know, I have booked tickets to Lion king that night!

tr+h

One of Us
Jun 19, 2008
Perth,wa
So. The flight we were originally booked on has now been cancelled and has dropped off the flight menu. Cathay have agreed to put us into a hotel for the 8 hours and arrange all our transfers.

And today, Air Canada have changed our New York to Kamloops flights. But, because I am flying under a different booking to the family, they didn't seat me with the family, as per my original bookings. Went on line to change my seating, and despite having paid extra for my preferred seats when I booked, they wanted me to pay for my new seats. WTF! So on the phone and changed seating without any further charges.

Reactions: skifree and LMB
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
I'm glad you got the help you needed, but how frustrating that you had to call.

I have a friend who married her partner and took his name for this kind of thing... They did some 3rd world medical volunteering so a bit more to it, but they were more than happy to just continue to be cohabiting partners - having his name and being legally married just meant 'stuff' was easier...flights, evacs etc

tr+h

One of Us
Jun 19, 2008
Perth,wa
We have the same surname. I just made an error when booking with air canada as I tried to beat their dubious pricing schedule!

If you book one ticket, the quote might be $540, but if you book 5 tickets, they quote you $690 per seat. I attempted to book 5 single tickets. But their system actually penalises the subsequent bookings from the same IP address. And that was using incognito Internet sessions! The practice is illegal in most countries, but in Canada, they can do it!!,!

Born2ski

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane
So. The flight we were originally booked on has now been cancelled and has dropped off the flight menu. Cathay have agreed to put us into a hotel for the 8 hours and arrange all our transfers.
So Cathay fixed the problem at their cost, good to see. :thumbs:

melty68

One of Us
Jul 7, 2007
cronulla nsw
If you dont ask or complain hard you get nothing...i worked for qantas for a long time.if you fly economy always ask when you check in if we can be put up the front of the plane please we fly a lot.you would be surprised ..they do it.no harm in asking.

Reactions: Born2ski

tr+h

One of Us
Jun 19, 2008
Perth,wa
So now they have made another offer! They have offered to get us onto a United flight that departs at 1115 and gets us into Newark airport at 1350. That means a 3.5 hour layover in Hong Kong, but we get into New York 5.5 hours earlier and the afternoon isn't a complete waste.

My question is, has anyone flown United Internationally and how would they compare to Cathay? I have flown them domestically within the US and they are pretty much no-frills. And when it comes to United, all I ever think about is this.....

Crystal

Sand skier extraordinaire
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Far far away Aussie expat
We have flown United both domestic and International, International is better but again...they are like just riding a bus. No frills and I would take any flight over a United. Stick to Cathay in my view.....they run rings around United any day.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
I actually quite enjoy United - have done the SYD - SFO trip many many times.

I would do it if the early arrival time and less lay over works for you.

Mind you i have been exemplarmaryily (sp?? real word?) looked after by Cathay - so concur with Crystal.

Snorkler

Part of the Furniture
Jan 1, 1970
Melbourne, Vic
So now they have made another offer! They have offered to get us onto a United flight that departs at 1115 and gets us into Newark airport at 1350. That means a 3.5 hour layover in Hong Kong, but we get into New York 5.5 hours earlier and the afternoon isn't a complete waste.

My question is, has anyone flown United Internationally and how would they compare to Cathay? I have flown them domestically within the US and they are pretty much no-frills. And when it comes to United, all I ever think about is this.....

What metal are they flying on that route?

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
We have flown United both domestic and International, International is better but again...they are like just riding a bus. No frills and I would take any flight over a United. Stick to Cathay in my view.....they run rings around United any day.

Haven't used United for I don't know how long, but I'm a big fan of Cathay. Aircraft are good, service and food is good.
I'm flying Delta later this month from Japan to Seattle, then using Alaska Airlines to Arizona, so I'll tell you how they are.... ;)

travelislife

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 9, 2008
Melbourne
Just make sure they aren't flying the 747 on that route as it is horrible in economy (i.e. no seatback TV's etc.). The 777's are ok.

sara777

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney
Concur. Had a bad flight with United (also SYD-SFO, then domestic 2 flights); although admittedly a few years ago! No seat screens, terrible seats. Possibly wrong plane, was last minute booking. Flew with Cathay a few times, was always happy traveller.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
@Ozgirl can't disagree with that. It's usually the thing that I never get around to doing before I go away though!

Oh I plan my viewing pleasure around it!

It works well as I am usually too busy the week before a trip to wacth my usual shows so i save them for on the plane!

sara777

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney
I do have shows/movies on my iPad, but.. you know... I like to watch the flight path... Yes! :nerd:
I've had wifi on my last flight with Emirates: that was great!

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
who watches plane movies any more??
Oi!
That's like one of the few opportunities to catch up on my viewing!
LOL

Never have time to load stuff to iPad. No idea how!!! Ha!

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth

Don't take your guitars with you?

;)

Reactions: K_Bird

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
OMG who am I travelling with?!?! Weirdos! :p

Seriously though I get that United is older etc but I just think I value my time more (in this case) or more spending money, which is my usual reason for flying United.

I can do without the seat back TV screens.

I buy a bottle or 2 of the 200ml spirits at duty free for $6 vs the $6 50ml bottle on the plane.

Yeah the no alcohol for free bit might put even more of you off, but I would fly United over Jetstar anytime!!

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
who watches plane movies any more??
But the selection is shit house!

Load up the device (i don't use apple!) with what YOU what to watch...
The selection depends what airline you fly(I use Cathay often, and their entertainment is very good).... plus for me, of the first run for many western movies in Japan is often 3 months after world wide release, so I often see movies on an aircraft BEFORE it's released in Japan!!!!

The other point, watching a movies(or TV shows) on the plane makes the time go much faster.

Reactions: LMB

silva

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 1, 2006
NSW
We flew United Sydney - San Fran - Denver - Kalispell - SLC - San Fran - Sydney in Feb this year. The 777 planes are fine - decent everything really. Communication from United about time changes./ delays was excellent basically the international flights were on time but all the domestic flights moved around a bit and we had some delays but nothing that meant we missed a connection. I would fly with them again if price and route were favourable but wouldn't go out of my way to fly with them - hope that makes sense.

For my flying is the necessary drudge to get me to my holidays. I would choose price, route and timing over a nicer meal or better movie selection any day.

Reactions: Ozgirl

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Ha ha, more of us weirdos! :D:nerd:
Have to agree with the preference though: United over Jetstar most definitely
It would have to be insanely cheap for me to consider either. Though we did get a free first class upgrade for domestic United some years ago. The free food and drinks while the plane was being de-iced for a couple of hours was appreciated.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
The selection depends what airline you fly(I use Cathay often, and their entertainment is very good).... plus for me, of the first run for many western movies in Japan is often 3 months after world wide release, so I often see movies on an aircraft BEFORE it's released in Japan!!!!

The other point, watching a movies(or TV shows) on the plane makes the time go much faster.
For example, I've recently used Cathay, JAL & Jetstar. Forget Jetstar, but on JAL, they have a range of old and new movies, Japanese movies, a couple of Chinese movies and that's it. On Cathay, they have new and old movies, Chinese movies, a couple of Japanese movies, foreign language (European) movies and a huge selection of TV series, everything from Iron Chef, to BBC & Nat Geo docos, Mr Bean, Sit Coms, etc. So while on JAL you may not get to see the end of a movie, on Cathay you can watch a couple of TV shows before landing.

Reactions: LMB

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Some of the Doco's on Cathay have been really interesting. Wouldn't have watched them unless captured in a flying metal tube.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
I watch movies on the plane - just not the ones they provide!

Well here's the thing.... often I'll watch a movie I've never heard of, and find movies that are really good, that I otherwise would never have known about. If the movie is crap, you generally know about it in around 15 min... ;)

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
Yeah true Sandy - But i suppose @tr+h has to weigh all this up!

I wouldn't pay extra to maybe see a random movie i might love...

My holiday time is also more valuable!

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
Maybe its a bit of a mindset issue: If your flight is part of your holiday, pay for something better. If your flight is to get you to your holiday, save the time & money.

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Maybe its a bit of a mindset issue: If your flight is part of your holiday, pay for something better. If your flight is to get you to your holiday, save the time & money.
Bit of both. Individually needs weighing up.

Reactions: Ozgirl

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yeah true Sandy - But i suppose @tr+h has to weigh all this up!

I wouldn't pay extra to maybe see a random movie i might love...

My holiday time is also more valuable!
Well no, but when the experience is 5 times better, and you don't get "Jetstar-ed" (cancelling flights because they're not full, or paying for what you think are meals & entertainment for the trip, only to find out it's not on the domestic leg, etc) I'll pay a bit extra....

For example, I got Jetstar-ed once at Narita (too close to the curfew, had a few problems, and went past), back through immigration, hotel, back at 7am next morning, but the flight crew had to have a full 12 hour rest.... missed the connection in Cairns, had to stay the night there, ended up wasting a whole DAY of valuable holiday time)

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
But he is already losing time on his holiday..

Cathay is cutting into his holiday - and they wont jetstar-ed him but if something happens and flights are delayed....

With Untied if flights are delayed hopefully it wont be any longer than Cathay schedule timings...

Bluebird

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 16, 2013
Melbourne
Some of the Doco's on Cathay have been really interesting. Wouldn't have watched them unless captured in a flying metal tube.
I watched a cool doco once on Cathay about the process that went into designing road warning signs. Odd topic but strangely interesting! Would never have watched it if I wasn't already bored to death sitting on a plane waiting to get to London.

tr+h

One of Us
Jun 19, 2008
Perth,wa
So.....option 4.

We fly the day before on the original itinerary. The hotel can fit us in too.

Do we need 10 days instead of 9 in New York?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass