Question Cathay Pacific - Too risky?

Chux-sw

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 7, 2018
Where's My Jumper
We are finding flights to Europe for the Northern summer are either completely full or damn expensive.
We're seeing economy prices of $4000 to $5500 rtn for the "5 star airlines" with one stop and sub 28 hour flight times.
Less salubrious airlines with multiple stops or extended layovers are above $3500.

Which brings me to Cathay Pacific, in the last day we are seeing return flights on Cathay Pacific for $2500 to $3000 with reasonable layovers in HK.

I've seen reports that CP is on the brink of financial ruin due to China's zero COVID policy.

Is Cathay too risky to book with at the moment due financials or the possibility of HK airport suddenly restricting passengers again?

sn0wbunny29

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 11, 2015
Sydney
I don't know about Cathay but I'm looking at JAL for my flight back to UK in September and have found a reasonable ticket via Tokyo and Helsinki.

Reactions: Chux-sw
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Chux-sw

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 7, 2018
Where's My Jumper
We decided against Cathay mainly on worries of sudden restrictions from the Chinese government re COVID.

Coincidentally checking flights today revealed good direct flights for under $2600. Locked and loaded.

robbo mcs

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
A couple of months ago, Cathay had lots of availability for business class flights on QFF, in 2023. However, they all now seem to have completely disappeared. Not exactly sure what that means. However, the fact they were so readily available I guess means nobody was booking them, normally those kind of flights appear and disappear very quickly. The fact they are now not there are all? I suspect either Qantas or Cathay has pulled them.

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

but a dream within a dream
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaldtown
A couple of months ago, Cathay had lots of availability for business class flights on QFF, in 2023. However, they all now seem to have completely disappeared. Not exactly sure what that means. However, the fact they were so readily available I guess means nobody was booking them, normally those kind of flights appear and disappear very quickly. The fact they are now not there are all? I suspect either Qantas or Cathay has pulled them.
there was a report recently about difficulties booking other Oneworld airlines’ flights via Qantas
maybe not just Cathay eg I booked with JAL for next year because their flights weren’t visible on Qantas

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Kash

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2007
Sydney
We are finding flights to Europe for the Northern summer are either completely full or damn expensive.
We're seeing economy prices of $4000 to $5500 rtn for the "5 star airlines" with one stop and sub 28 hour flight times.
Less salubrious airlines with multiple stops or extended layovers are above $3500.

Which brings me to Cathay Pacific, in the last day we are seeing return flights on Cathay Pacific for $2500 to $3000 with reasonable layovers in HK.

I've seen reports that CP is on the brink of financial ruin due to China's zero COVID policy.

Is Cathay too risky to book with at the moment due financials or the possibility of HK airport suddenly restricting passengers again?

I saw quiet a few flights in June on Thai and Vietnam airlines for 2k which should be better options? Maybe check again as these seem to be recent specials.

Singapore and Qantas both have options leaving end Aug returning mid Sept for <$2k right now (i'm literally on kayak searching the same thing). Assume you arent looking for aus school hols, because then you are up for a fortune. Not looking forward to only travleling in school hols...

A little known hack is to search J class from SIN, KUL or BKK to europe if you want to get a cheap bed for your flights without the aussie $ premium. Then just an economy seat to asia. There were 2k flights via etihad a few weeks ago but they'll be gone now, but someone i knew flew Syd to FRA for 2900 economy to Singapre, business from there to FRA).

I probably wouldnt be using Cathay at the moment until the Chinese govt sort their $hit out, but I really doubt they will go under. Too much govt backing.

Reactions: skifree
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using