Central Hokkaido 20/21 season

telenomore

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2010
Day 53 season 20/21 and that's it folks. Well I managed nearly 3 pages with some help from some contributors but I think this may be the first time the central Hokkaido thread was a solo effort. Hopefully next season I'll have to share the powder (oh hang on.......!!). Perfect spring snow today here in Tomamu so I got the old Peltonen no-wax classics out of mothballs and skied (and walked a little) from our place to the resort and back. Spring ski touring at its best and the bonus was no bears! We signed up for the repatriation lottery months ago as due to Covid 19, our business has ground to a halt. We have had our flights cancelled and rescheduled once so far, but Cathay saying all the right things at the moment for our flights Thursday the 1st of April (yes, April fools day, deliberately chosen to confuse the gods of fortune). Plenty of Aussies have been bumped at the airport due to the arrival caps so we wait and see, possibly packed with nowhere to go.

River and skis.jpeg
skis and resort.jpeg
XC ski Tomamu 2.jpeg
karifure dake.jpeg

expatgm

One of Us
Aug 4, 2014
Queenstown
Hi @telenomore whats the situation with the twin towers over there in Tomamu. Have they gone belly up or in hibernation and trying to ride it out?? Not that I have any intention of staying there. Sorry to hear about your situation but from what I’ve read Japans vaccination program is progressing at a snails pace. Unfortunately now I’m having doubts about 2022.

Reactions: skifree

telenomore

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2010
Hi @telenomore whats the situation with the twin towers over there in Tomamu. Have they gone belly up or in hibernation and trying to ride it out?? Not that I have any intention of staying there. Sorry to hear about your situation but from what I’ve read Japans vaccination program is progressing at a snails pace. Unfortunately now I’m having doubts about 2022.
Hi @expatgm and @skifree Tomamu hasn't gone belly up but operating at reduced levels but still operating. We really expected Furano not to last the season as on most days, looking up the hill, you could count the skiers on one hand. Tomamu and Furano both got through the season. Furano is mostly closed now and Tomamu closing for their usual spring closure next week. Some of our neighbours here work at Club Med and many of them have been laid off, so Im guessing Tomamu resort/towers/club med etc are just trying to save the furniture and coast along at basic levels until (and if!) things improve. For the life of me I can't see how these major tourist destinations can survive another 12 months. We are pulling the plug here until there is some certainty. I'm a bit over trying to crystal ball my way through this, so we are putting everything into moth balls till the planes do start flying again, but just between you and me, I can't see tourism resuming in time for next winter. Apropos of nothing, apart from all of the variables in regard to the virus, my gut feeling is most northern hemisphere countries will not want to risk another major wave of infections during the coming autumn and winter. I'd be guessing/hoping April 2022 for some sort of start up. All IMO, just reading the tea leaves and hope Im wrong.

Hyst

Enjoyer
Ski Pass
Nov 23, 2014
Copenhagen
www.ahmadjoudeh.com
Hi @expatgm and @skifree Tomamu hasn't gone belly up but operating at reduced levels but still operating. We really expected Furano not to last the season as on most days, looking up the hill, you could count the skiers on one hand. Tomamu and Furano both got through the season. Furano is mostly closed now and Tomamu closing for their usual spring closure next week. Some of our neighbours here work at Club Med and many of them have been laid off, so Im guessing Tomamu resort/towers/club med etc are just trying to save the furniture and coast along at basic levels until (and if!) things improve. For the life of me I can't see how these major tourist destinations can survive another 12 months. We are pulling the plug here until there is some certainty. I'm a bit over trying to crystal ball my way through this, so we are putting everything into moth balls till the planes do start flying again, but just between you and me, I can't see tourism resuming in time for next winter. Apropos of nothing, apart from all of the variables in regard to the virus, my gut feeling is most northern hemisphere countries will not want to risk another major wave of infections during the coming autumn and winter. I'd be guessing/hoping April 2022 for some sort of start up. All IMO, just reading the tea leaves and hope Im wrong.

You might be right - things are moving slowly:
https://www.timeout.com/tokyo/news/...-japans-covid-19-vaccination-programme-012021

Thank very much you for reporting 20/21 - best wished for the green season!

Reactions: telenomore
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Jonkl

Hard Yards
Sep 16, 2019
Brisbane
Yes I live in Furano, moved here in 2015 with family after years of commuting back and forth.
Awesome posts, we are only new to snowsports but can't wait to go back to Hokkaido for some nice powder, and also some nice sightseeing in the warmer months. May I ask what kind of shop do you run in Furano, and do you permanently reside there or just on a business visa? Our family have been contemplating moving to Hokkaido in the future..

telenomore

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2010
Awesome posts, we are only new to snowsports but can't wait to go back to Hokkaido for some nice powder, and also some nice sightseeing in the warmer months. May I ask what kind of shop do you run in Furano, and do you permanently reside there or just on a business visa? Our family have been contemplating moving to Hokkaido in the future..
Hi @Jonkl I set up a company some year ago and we have our visas through that. Japan equivalent of a Pty/Ltd structure. We have resided in Furano permanently for the last 6 years and on and off prior to that. Our shop was Kitanomine but currently closed due to covid so will be different location when tourism resumes. Good luck with your plans. If you can manage it is a great experience.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass