Day to Day Central QLD weather

.RC.

One of Us
Oct 3, 2020
I think it unlikely it will go dry, but they might cease using it. I wonder if the mine pit water is so contaminated it can not be filtered and used. The water is used downstream.

Reactions: Flowin

Vinny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Yeppoon Queensland
Bit of a cold snap next weekend ... possibly

19 deg during the day and 3 at night in Rocky ... Wow that's pretty cold for Rocky if it happens, for Yeppoon it has 17 deg and 6 night.

OCF isn't going for as cold .

upload_2021-5-22_13-35-58.png

Reactions: Flowin and whether

.RC.

One of Us
Oct 3, 2020
Rockhampton looks like it will record it's driest May ever. On the back of a La Nina. Strange times for sure.

Rainbow Serpant

One of Us
Nov 5, 2020
Rockhampton / Gulmarrad NSW
Maybe it will end with big floods next summer.
When Rocky gets it's floods, it is seldom from rain that falls locally. It's always rains that fall elsewhere, like Emerald, West of Mackay or the Coal Fields etc. Which can be deceiving, and one might actually incorrectly assume that it had to rain to produce a flood, not so. And why a La Nina can cause floods in the Fitzroy, but sometimes little actual rainfall for the area.

RhysD

Hard Yards
Nov 25, 2020
Bom very good at their forecasting. A forecasted minimum of 13 in Yeppoon however it is already down to 14.3c at 7:10pm

Vinny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Yeppoon Queensland
Was actually a degree colder min temp in Yeppoon than Rocky this morning. Usually it's Rocky being colder and yep

Already 12.8 deg though back up to 13 with the westerly picking up.

The average temp for June for Rocky is 23.6 deg yet the predictons are for 27 -28 deg on Thursday and 25 deg in Yeppoon, which is above average for June... hope winter isn't warmer than average days. then late August and heat and dry .

MegaMatch

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
where
I've been active in other parts of the forum but not the weather section (have had it hidden for the past few months for my own sanity). Dropped the SEQ/NE NSW thread from my watch list as I simply don't care for their 100s of thunderstorms, ECLs, floods etc a season they tend to still get down there.

All I can say is that the green drought is raging on for our region. That means, it might look lush and green from the outside, but it's very very dry just under that top layer of soil. I've been watching live stormchasing streams from the US to keep me sane these past few weeks, it is just incredible how their storms (and weather in general) puts ours to complete shame. Everything is so green, even across states that are nowhere near the ocean, unlike ours where everything is usually just desert.

I really do fear for our region moving forward.

drought.png

2021020120210430.png

Rainbow Serpant

One of Us
Nov 5, 2020
Yup was about to say that RC before I spotted your comment! I mean may is a drier month but Yeah not even a quick shower at all this month.....

the dry continues
And it dries off further with Aug & September typically being the driest. I’m wondering if Rocky can do MJJAS with 0.0mm each month. Yet BOM are suggesting a greater chance of above average rain over winter. I’m not sure about you all, but I don’t believe anything the BOM produces.

MegaMatch

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
where
And it dries off further with Aug & September typically being the driest. I’m wondering if Rocky can do MJJAS with 0.0mm each month. Yet BOM are suggesting a greater chance of above average rain over winter. I’m not sure about you all, but I don’t believe anything the BOM produces.

After last year's failed predictions for our region, neither do I.

Rainbow Serpant

One of Us
Nov 5, 2020
Here’s what gets me about the BOM.
Rocky just recorded its driest May in history, 0.0mm.
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/202105/pdf/IDCJDW4102.202105.pdf

However, if you were to view their recent rainfall map for May you’d be led to believe Rocky got a few showers, perhaps even up to 10mm. So not only are their seasonal forecasts completely wrong, but they cannot get the very basics done like producing an accurate map based off recorded obs. Little wonder I hold an extremely low opinion of their products.

Attachments

• 9A8C659D-E04F-45FF-8C88-700E53496CF2.png
    9A8C659D-E04F-45FF-8C88-700E53496CF2.png
    39.3 KB · Views: 5

Flowin

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2019
Pinjarra Hills, QLD
Current extended (4 year) drought (second pic) now looking worse in extent of area impacted than the early 1900s federation drought (first pic).
For shorter periods of drought Wide Bay Burnett and central Qld remains the epicentre.
Dunno what will break the trend but it will need a lot to undo the long term rain deficiencies

B50DD3D6-04BD-4382-9BA9-BF6A4FA6F902.png
0A167653-DDFC-40EB-9492-56CBEDA3AC36.png

MegaMatch

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
where
Current extended (4 year) drought (second pic) now looking worse in extent of area impacted than the early 1900s federation drought (first pic).
For shorter periods of drought Wide Bay Burnett and central Qld remains the epicentre.
Dunno what will break the trend but it will need a lot to undo the long term rain deficiencies

B50DD3D6-04BD-4382-9BA9-BF6A4FA6F902.png
0A167653-DDFC-40EB-9492-56CBEDA3AC36.png

Yeah it's pretty incredible just how quickly many of the recent rain events have tapered off to nearly nothing in a line from about Rainbow Beach southwards, just inland of the coastline, over and over again, like clockwork, as shown by that chart. Meanwhile the coastal strip between the Sunshine Coast down to southern NSW has been doing just fine. It's almost like there's a forcefield in play of some sorts. Frustrating, but hoping there's a bit of relief soon.

Dipole

Hard Yards
Jan 22, 2021
Yeah it's pretty incredible just how quickly many of the recent rain events have tapered off to nearly nothing in a line from about Rainbow Beach southwards, just inland of the coastline, over and over again, like clockwork, as shown by that chart. Meanwhile the coastal strip between the Sunshine Coast down to southern NSW has been doing just fine. It's almost like there's a forcefield in play of some sorts. Frustrating, but hoping there's a bit of relief soon.
Pre sunrise Hervey Bay
20210603_062014.jpg

RhysD

Hard Yards
Nov 25, 2020
Quite surprised to be woken up at about 4 this morning to rather heavy rain. Only ended up with 3mm but heaviest I’ve seen it in a long while. Rogue shower from the passing trough.
cool and cloudy today still only sitting on 20c

Vinny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Yeppoon Queensland
Yep forecast for Rocky today is 26 deg and it has only got to about 21 deg, wrong again BOM !

Unless suddenly in the next hour or so the cloud clears , sun comes out and temp rises 5 deg...

RhysD

Hard Yards
Nov 25, 2020
Lol I doubt it vinny. May stop the temps getting too low overnight though if it doesn’t clear.

Rainbow Serpant

One of Us
Nov 5, 2020
This drought just marches on and on.
Yeah it would seem that way. I was trying to imagine when the next significant rain would fall, namely in these amounts.
The next 50mm+ day, and the next 100mm+ day for Rockhampton.

Well here is my estimate/guess.
The next 50mm+ day............March 2029, probably after a cyclone moves out of the gulf through western Qld.
The next 100mm+.................. Never ever again, these days are gone.

Dipole

Hard Yards
Jan 22, 2021
Hervey Bay airport got down to 2.6 about 6 this morning, Canberra, at the same time was 3.4.....crazy, must be that crystal clear night.
Fraser Is was cloud free this morning at dawn, very rare.

MegaMatch

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
where
North QLD - tropical downpours, monsoon, cyclones
SEQ -> central NSW - regular spring/summer storms, ECLs, floods, snow in far SW
South NSW / Vic - severe storms, snow, floods, ECLs
Central QLD - Literally a dead-zone. You'll get the odd day of severe storms in the summer (which rarely reach the coast anyway), the odd convergence zone that'll produce 100mm+ usually in isolated spots, but other than that, literally nothing but blue sky and sunshine every day, whilst regularly watching storms decay as they approach our region during warm summer nights.

Flowin

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2019
Pinjarra Hills, QLD
North QLD - tropical downpours, monsoon, cyclones
SEQ -> central NSW - regular spring/summer storms, ECLs, floods, snow in far SW
South NSW / Vic - severe storms, snow, floods, ECLs
Central QLD - Literally a dead-zone. You'll get the odd day of severe storms in the summer (which rarely reach the coast anyway), the odd convergence zone that'll produce 100mm+ usually in isolated spots, but other than that, literally nothing but blue sky and sunshine every day, whilst regularly watching storms decay as they approach our region during warm summer nights.
I do wonder how much topography has an influence?
WBB - CQ up to southern parts of NQ is where the great dividing range is the furthermost distance from the coast

MegaMatch

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
where
I do wonder how much topography has an influence?
WBB - CQ up to southern parts of NQ is where the great dividing range is the furthermost distance from the coast
For storms, it's definitely a factor, but doesn't explain why storms used to make it off the ranges years ago but often fall apart nowadays. Rain events have become so scarce also because every upper system that moves into eastern QLD/NSW often cuts off into a bombing upper low, sucking everything southward. This explains all the recent flood events over SEQ/NSW in recent years, and drought everywhere to the north. Very rarely now do you see a good upper system move into these areas whilst remaining slow-moving without overamplifying.

Today was miserable - well, the morning was OK, then high cloud rolled in and now it's freezing again - 17C. This kind of weather reminds me of why I hate winter so much - I hate short days, and I hate the cold!! It's just a shame that the summers have often been too dry and boring to make up for it.

Reactions: PeteJ and Flowin

RhysD

Hard Yards
Nov 25, 2020
I have just checked back through records, this morning was the coldest it’s gotten overnight since 1st August 2003 where it also reached 1.8c
Sure was a cold morning but I love when we can say ‘it’s been 18 years since it’s reached this temperature’. I was only 11 at the time lol.
It isn’t rain but it’s something to excite the weather nerd in me.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass