Day to Day Central QLD weather

MegaMatch

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
where
I don't think it's any coincidence that since the SAM has gone negative since the start of July (and is now strongly negative), that whatever rain we were getting during the very beginning of winter has suddenly stopped falling. The way it's looking, we could be looking at a following 2-3+ weeks of next to nothing as well. Very dry through the guts of the country too despite the -IOD.

Reactions: Vinny

Vinny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Yeppoon Queensland
I thought negative SAM was good meant rain could come up here?

Seems IOD and La Nina have not much effect up this way? The weather does its own thing?

Looking back at 2016 the last neg IOD, Rocky was really hot even Yeppoon had a week of mid 30 deg temps in November 2016 and apart from June and July rain looking more like summer totals , only September was above average if I'm reading it right . Data from BOM Climate data online..

MegaMatch

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
where
I thought negative SAM was good meant rain could come up here?

Seems IOD and La Nina have not much effect up this way? The weather does its own thing?

Looking back at 2016 the last neg IOD, Rocky was really hot even Yeppoon had a week of mid 30 deg temps in November 2016 and apart from June and July rain looking more like summer totals , only September was above average if I'm reading it right . Data from BOM Climate data online..
Nah other way around, negative SAM generally promotes colder and drier weather during winter up here, but wet and wooly conditions over southern parts of southern states. -IOD is a bit hit or miss up here but its influence greatly increases as you head further west and south towards the interior of the country (not even really seeing that yet though, outlook looks as dry as a bone out there so far). Haven't really been keeping tabs on La-Nina this year for obvious reasons but I believe its influence is supposed to increase moreso during summer months rather than winter up here, but last year would suggest otherwise.

Reactions: PeteJ and Vinny

Vinny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Yeppoon Queensland
I'm trying to think back in the last 10 years, the wettest years for say Rocky and Yeppoon what influences were we under with IOD or La Nina. It seemed quite wet from 2012-2015/16 ish but i am just going by what it felt like .. not actual data...

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass