Day to Day Central QLD weather

MegaMatch

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
where
Gee I hope you guys in Rocky get something tonight. Shear is awesome so I wouldn't rule out something reaching the coast up there later on.

Reactions: Flowin

Rainbow Serpant

One of Us
Nov 5, 2020
Rockhampton / Gulmarrad NSW
The storms tried to get to Rockhampton but, nah. Once again. Nuthin.

D685544E-F0D5-4776-B2CE-3D28D8F840BF.png

Vinny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Yeppoon Queensland
Think to the SE or S there is this massive cloud constantly lighting up amazing near Mt Larcom?... must be i worked out about 120km from me but seems like it's so close... isn't coming this way though.

RhysD

Hard Yards
Nov 25, 2020
With all the ‘hype’ I’d really hoped for something this afternoon or evening. Anything that developed was very isolated. How very depressing. The rain we have received over the last few mornings/nights has been good although a bloody good storm would be so nice

Vinny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Yeppoon Queensland
RC how close are you say in kilometres to the weather station for Rockhampton or are you not even close to that area? as Rocky got next to nothing officially yesterday. Ok 5.6mm.... but was it one of those events where it was patchy/isolated and some places in Rocky got more?

Seems like the only thing guaranteed for Rocky in the next week is heat.

MegaMatch

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
where
RC how close are you say in kilometres to the weather station for Rockhampton or are you not even close to that area? as Rocky got next to nothing officially yesterday. Ok 5.6mm.... but was it one of those events where it was patchy/isolated and some places in Rocky got more?

Seems like the only thing guaranteed for Rocky in the next week is heat.
That 5.6mm at Rockhampton Aero occurred during the morning so it couldn't have been from that. I'd say he was under that cell which passed between Rocky/Gladstone last night - a good 30-40km from the official gauge.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Billy Bob

Addicted
Nov 23, 2020
Bungendore
Didn't realise Rocky's 1991-2020 average rainfall is only a tick over 700 mm, that's very dry for the eastern tropics (I know, it's barely in the tropics). That's only 100 mm more than Canberra, with much higher evaporation rates in Rocky. The alignment of the coastline (land to the SE, in the direction of the trades) and the blocking effects of the Berserker Range would be the main factors limiting Rocky's rainfall. Yeppoon doesn't have this latter factor and gets at least 200-250 mm more per annum.

So you shouldn't expect miracles. It undoubtedly has been dry in Central Queensland though, particularly over summer. Here's hoping a more normal 'less dry' season for you.

Reactions: Vinny and Flowin

Vinny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Yeppoon Queensland
that's very dry for the eastern tropics

Edited : If you pick all available climate statistics BOM it says : 815.1mm Rocky Airport from 1939-2021.. shouldn't that be the total ?

Also that total would sort of make it wetter than Perth Metro 1993-2021 with 730.9mm?

I thought being aligned to trade winds is good , SE winds don't bring much rain or do they?

Reactions: Rainbow Serpant

Rainbow Serpant

One of Us
Nov 5, 2020
Edited : If you pick all available climate statistics BOM it says : 815.1mm Rocky Airport from 1939-2021.. shouldn't that be the total ?

Also that total would sort of make it wetter than Perth Metro 1993-2021 with 730.9mm?

I thought being aligned to trade winds is good , SE winds don't bring much rain or do they?

SE winds hit Fraser Island first, then Curtis Island before the get to Rockhampton. That’s where the rain goes

Reactions: Flowin and Vinny

Vinny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Yeppoon Queensland
On that subject , I've noticed the SE winds have all but disappeared , every day on the coast it seems to be from the ENE/ or NE ... looking ahead no SE changes on the way ....

Vinny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Yeppoon Queensland
Our average is 50mm so a little lower than Brisbane but still the pattern seems to be it will rain most of the year in Brisbane and to the south in NSW but anywhere north of the Sunshine Coast? won't get anything substantial constantly?

Maybe this year into next will start off similar but we will get an Ex cyclone that will make up for it.

Rainbow Serpant

One of Us
Nov 5, 2020
Didn't realise Rocky's 1991-2020 average rainfall is only a tick over 700 mm, that's very dry for the eastern tropics (I know, it's barely in the tropics). That's only 100 mm more than Canberra, with much higher evaporation rates in Rocky. The alignment of the coastline (land to the SE, in the direction of the trades) and the blocking effects of the Berserker Range would be the main factors limiting Rocky's rainfall. Yeppoon doesn't have this latter factor and gets at least 200-250 mm more per annum.

So you shouldn't expect miracles. It undoubtedly has been dry in Central Queensland though, particularly over summer. Here's hoping a more normal 'less dry' season for you.
in 2004 the longterm (1991-2004) average rainfall for Rockhampton was 811mm. So the average has been dropping alot since then, and if it keeps at this rate of change it will take 42 years and Rockhampton will have a 0 zero rainfall average.

MegaMatch

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
where
We've had 32.8mm so far this month but it was over multiple days. I mean it's better than nothing but we need so, so much more. Meanwhile, you've probably noticed that areas south of the Sunshine Coast can regularly see upwards of 50mm in one single sitting..so lucky!

RhysD

Hard Yards
Nov 25, 2020
Well that was wild! There certainly was a lot of flash flooding around town, trees/branches down, a lot of businesses on Southside have had water up into them as gutters couldn’t handle it. Water was atleast a foot inside the Brunswick hotel.
One happy camper, hopefully not too much damage.

Vinny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Yeppoon Queensland
So on social media someone telling me Frenchville got hammered for 30mins but I assume the airport where they do the measuring is where the 0.2mm in Rocky is from.

We've gone from a dp of 23 deg down to 17 deg in just 2hrs here.

Michael Hauber

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Big beast to the east would be causing some sinking cool dry air in your area I suspect. Give it a bit longer to clear.

An arc of storms with clear air behind it, but a bit more cloud further west.

Capture.PNG

Rainbow Serpant

One of Us
Nov 5, 2020
So the BOM forecast 20-40mm for Rockhampton. I chuckle at that and say “nah it will go around”, people get upset about it, and it does, not once but twice.
The airport gets 13mm mm I get 4mm in my gauge. BOM fails yet again. Little wonder I have NO faith in BOM rainfall forecast for this area, and nothing but ridicule for their seasonal forecasts.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass