Day to Day Central QLD weather

RhysD

Hard Yards
Nov 25, 2020
All north and south today nothing of significance.
Move along and let the cooler weather, over this hot humid crap with no rain

Reactions: Flowin

MegaMatch

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
where
Isn't it incredible that it took until late March for any sort of significant rain event to reach coastal parts of Central QLD? And even then, many areas up there have still missed out, and those that did see some rain still need a hell of a lot more after what's been a horribly dry past few years. So now with winter knocking on our door, who knows when the next big rain event is going to be?

RhysD

Hard Yards
Nov 25, 2020
34C tomorrow, then 32 and 33's for the future. And no rain.
The lack of humidity should hopefully help to make it feel less warm. Really peed off we didn’t get any of these storms overnight or today.

Vinny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Yeppoon Queensland
I look forward to a slight drop in humidity towards the end of the week. Damn lawn needed mowing 4 days after i mowed it maybe i need to stop mulch mowing , must be making it grow more.

I saw this on Facebook
1f388.png
1f329.png
Rockhampton's weather station will be automated
1f329.png
1f388.png

The Bureau of Meteorology's Rockhampton Field Station will be the latest to be equipped with new technology that will automatically fill and release weather balloons.

BOM expects to automate observation and data collection at 24 field stations – opting to establish eight larger operating hubs in capital cities and Cairns.

The Weather Bureau said the technology will provide more accurate data and observations under a plan to automate regional operations.

The Rockhampton field station is expected to close its doors by December, and permanent staff will be relocated to a larger hub in Cairns.

BOM's Peter Stone said the technology will make forecasts more accurate and staff will be dispatched quickly if there's a problem with automation.

Dipole

Hard Yards
Jan 22, 2021
Great images RhysD,

You know it is humid in Hervey Bay when you come out of an A/C shop and your glasses fog up.
What I did not expect to see was a rainbow over the Island in a clear cloudless sky.

Humiditybow ?

RH 93% at 1pm, 83% at 4pm.

.RC.

One of Us
Oct 3, 2020
Had a ripper of a storm this afternoon. First real storm since for a long long time. Although it did not last long we got at least 25mm out of it but the gauge got the top blown off and it was sideways as well.

Vinny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Yeppoon Queensland
That humidity last night and yesterday was awful, from 7.30 to 9pm Yeppoon had a dew point of 27 deg and 97 percent humidity.

I mowed the lawn yesterday and despite drinking a heap of water got a pounding headache.

Hopefully that's the end of that type of humidity for several months.

MegaMatch

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
where

I wouldn't expect that grass to remain green for very long. Even after the couple hundred milimetres here, there are still patches where the grass hasn't grown back because of how dry it had been leading up to it. And since it appears our regions are immune to broader-scale pattern changes that are clearly affecting southern QLD and the rest of eastern Australia, you'd probably expect more of the same around here until next Feb-Mar rolls around.

Michael Hauber

One of Us
Jul 4, 2019
I wouldn't expect that grass to remain green for very long. Even after the couple hundred milimetres here, there are still patches where the grass hasn't grown back because of how dry it had been leading up to it. And since it appears our regions are immune to broader-scale pattern changes that are clearly affecting southern QLD and the rest of eastern Australia, you'd probably expect more of the same around here until next Feb-Mar rolls around.

I'd say two patterns have been messing up Qld rainfall, with strong effects up your way, but weak effects for my region on Sunshine Coast. First the tendency for troughs to peak over NSW with Qld being on the poorer northern side. Second that there has been frequent trough/low in SW Pacific resulting in interrupted moisture flow in general along the northern edge of the SW Pacific ridge. Last week saw the 1st pattern continue, but there was an interruption to the 2nd pattern with some good long fetch easterlies stretching up as high as 700hp. I believe the result of this was accumulating much more moisture than in most other similar instances in similar years. So as the trough pushed through NSW, there was still enough moisture on the northern flank for some half decent falls.

That long high pressure could just be a fluke not to be repeated, but it seems to be back in the current forecasts, so maybe it is a pattern change. And even better there are hints of a decent system approaching the central coast, so even an interruption to that first pattern of troughs peaking over NSW.

Maybe Rainbow Serpent might say that things have improved for CQ because the La Nina ended. I'm curious about the change in the NE Pacific to a cooler pattern, whether that will continue, and whether that is helpful for us in Qld.

MegaMatch

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
where
That long high pressure could just be a fluke not to be repeated, but it seems to be back in the current forecasts, so maybe it is a pattern change. And even better there are hints of a decent system approaching the central coast, so even an interruption to that first pattern of troughs peaking over NSW.

gone. Never fall into the trap of trusting these incredibly inaccurate computer models anything more than a few days out let alone a week for this region. The only thing they get right for this region is when it's DRY, but when it's wet, it almost never comes off. I'm sure others up here can back me up on this that rain events often just get shifted south, north, east or west when events gets closer. How many times have we seen people post rainfall charts 9 days away of a major rain event over CQ only for it to be either gone completely or shifted down to the Gold Coast or out to sea? Happens endlessly.

The season is over, we had one decent month, and now it's back praying for more rain for the next 9 months while SEQ and NSW continues to be hammered by upper troughs and ECLs.

Michael Hauber

One of Us
Jul 4, 2019
gone. Never fall into the trap of trusting these incredibly inaccurate computer models anything more than a few days out let alone a week for this region. The only thing they get right for this region is when it's DRY, but when it's wet, it almost never comes off. I'm sure others up here can back me up on this that rain events often just get shifted south, north, east or west when events gets closer. How many times have we seen people post rainfall charts 9 days away of a major rain event over CQ only for it to be either gone completely or shifted down to the Gold Coast or out to sea? Happens endlessly.

The season is over, we had one decent month, and now it's back praying for more rain for the next 9 months while SEQ and NSW continues to be hammered by upper troughs and ECLs.

Yes another pattern is that EC keeps showing better stuff late in the model run and I get my hopes up as it appears a few runs in a row and then it goes again.

Vinny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Yeppoon Queensland
Well GEM is going for 300mm for Rockhampton in the next week.. :D

Divide by 100 to get the real accurate number ? lol

Seriously though would be good to get another decent drop before the dry season sets in.

The BOM 's Water and The Land has 50-100mm for the coast in the next 8 days 25-50mm for Rocky.

Reactions: Rainbow Serpant

MegaMatch

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
where
My opinion still stands that if it's not predicted to be a southern QLD/NSW event then it likely doesn't happen at all. Latest runs seem to be trending further and further offshore which isn't a surprise to me in the slightest.

MegaMatch

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
where
The UK/ACCESS-G combo develop a circulation waaaay offshore which causes anything along that entire trough to stay out there for the outlook period. GFS has a messy elongated trough coming ashore along the NQ & CQ coasts. The extremely poor resolution NAVGEM brings a sharp vertically tilted trough into CQ while CMC does the same only it extends that trough down to the WBB. As for the ensembles, GFS are mainly all well offshore, CMC & EC ensembles haven't updated yet. Really not much point getting excited given all the different potential scenarios being thrown up.

Reactions: PeteJ and Flowin

MegaMatch

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
where
EC Control has 600mm over Bundaberg, 200-300mm down to the Sunshine Coast. Sigh, if only.

edit: CMC ensembles are out, a mixed bag really. A large cluster of members cross a low along the Capricornia coast while a few others run it parallel (but very close) to the coast.

Reactions: PeteJ and Flowin

Vinny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Yeppoon Queensland
BOM sticking with the showers for the weekend, though a large range saying 10-30mm on Saturday , 15-60mm on Sunday, if that was actually correct we could get the April average in 2 days !

Nice to see a return to wind on the coast, last few nights have been as windless as when I've been in Rocky.

Flowin

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2019
Pinjarra Hills, QLD
Just dropping in to say that the potential for rain in coastal areas of WBB and CQ region over the next week is probably the best chance in a long time - albeit I appreciate still significant uncertainty on whether low pressure trough will stay off shore or get closer to the coast.
Either way enough interest - so started an event thread for it here: https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/e...possible-heavy-rainfall-2-9-april-2021.89332/

Reactions: PeteJ

Rainbow Serpant

One of Us
Nov 5, 2020
Rockhampton / Gulmarrad NSW
Just dropping in to say that the potential for rain in coastal areas of WBB and CQ region over the next week is probably the best chance in a long time - albeit I appreciate still significant uncertainty on whether low pressure trough will stay off shore or get closer to the coast.
Either way enough interest - so started an event thread for it here: https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/e...possible-heavy-rainfall-2-9-april-2021.89332/

Looks like its going to skip CQ/WBB like all the rest do.
Capture45458.PNG

MegaMatch

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2019
where
Looks like its going to skip CQ/WBB like all the rest do.
Capture45458.PNG

GFS has been REALLY bad so far, take it with a grain of salt. I'm actually seeing more positive signs from the rest at this stage, although it looks as though northern parts of the Capricornia *may* miss out again...

.RC.

One of Us
Oct 3, 2020
Does not look like this upcoming rain event is going to do much for the CQ region hope I am wrong. It looks to be more WBB orientated.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass