Day to Day Central QLD weather

Vinny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Yeppoon Queensland
Yeah it was consistent the last event too wasn't it?

Must be going to be a lot of cloud GFS has 31 deg then only 18 deg on Friday in Rocky.

https://www.weatherzone.com.au/news...nt-morgan-where-water-tastes-like-dirt/533937

Drought-addled mining town Mount Morgan, where water tastes like dirt
Saturday April 17, 2021 - 23:30 EST

newsfile

La-Toya Grahame says the tap water in Mount Morgan tastes and smells like dirt. - ABC

As parts of Queensland revel in the liquid gold brought by La Niña, a mother in a former mining town pours water left in a glass back into a plastic bottle.

In the late 1800s, Mount Morgan was a river of gold ? its mines yielding fortunes that spawned BP ? but now Rockhampton council is paying up to $10,000 a day to truck water to the town.

Its water supply ? No 7 dam ? sits at just over 8 per cent, with the town currently at level 6 restrictions.

Locals say the tap water they do have tastes like "dirt".

They say they don't want to drink it, parents say their children don't want to bathe in it, a coffee shop plumbs 15 litres of bottled water into their machine just to avoid complaints.

It's a water crisis a local development group fears could be hampering industry.

Not good enough for coffee

Tracy Ehlers co-owns a café in town and said despite council deeming tap water safe for drinking she had received a slew of customer complaints.

"People saying that our coffee machine was starting to taste funky with the water the way it is so we don't actually have it plumbed into the system," she said.

"So we've actually resorted to buying big buckets, big gallons of water ? every day so they're getting filtered, fresh, clean water so they're not having that nasty dirty taste.

"It might only be $10 for a 20L, 15L bottle of water but you want your sales to stay. You've got to do what you've got to do," she said.

"I won't put my prices or anything up, I think that's disrespectful to our community to start charging more for a commodity that we should be getting anyway.

"The council can say, 'Yes, it's safe to drink', but if you look at a glass of water that's got floaties in it you're not going to want to drink it."

A family struggles

Tattooed on La-Toya Grahame's arm are the words: love, hope and faith.

She said the Mount Morgan's water crisis was putting the latter to the test.

"If it's not fixed for a long-term solution, I'll have to [move away] because you can't wash your kids in green algae, you can't wash them in dirt," she said.

Ms Grahame has been buying 10L bottles of water for her family to drink.

Her children don't even want to shower in the tap water.

"They're complaining about the smell because a bathroom or shower is a bit closed-in so the smell is putrid as soon as they go for a shower," she said.

"What you smell is what you're going to taste. It's like dirt."

Limiting growth

Mount Morgan Promotion and Development Inc president John Steinberger said the town's water crisis had been going on for at least 38 years.

"It restricts development; it restricts industry growth," he said.

"We're pretty resilient up here but it's still not good to be pushed to the limit where we're constantly trying to conserve water.

"You walk along Quay street [in Rockhampton] and you see all of those magnificent buildings that were built on Mount Morgan's gold.

"We are part of Rockhampton regional [council] and all we want I suppose is ? a permanent water supply."

No timeline for solution

Rockhampton Councillor Donna Kirkland said council had earmarked long-term action plans, including repurposing raw water and a pipeline from nearby Gracemere.

But there was no definite timeline for a solution.

"We need to do feasibility studies and peer test all of those taking on board the sentiment of the community," she said.

Cr Kirkland said council was in talks with the state government to fund water trucking ? with deliveries set to increase to 20 trucks each day from Monday.

"There has, of course, been that precedence set by the state supporting trucking water to Stanthorpe for 18 months or so," she said.

"They were trucking 25 to 30 trucks a day so where we are positioned right now, given that precedent, would set us in good stead hopefully to secure the same."

Vinny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Yeppoon Queensland
https://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/soggy-week-ahead-for-parts-of-qld/533939

A moisture laden trough will linger across northern and eastern Queensland through the week to come, resulting in large rainfall accumulations.

Z_RN_QLD_tn.PNG

Image: forecast rainfall during the week to come according to ECMWF

Most models display the highest forecast weekly rainfall totals in the Herbert and Lower Burdekin and North Tropical Coast and Tablelands districts.

These two districts could collect in excess of 150mm by the end of the week, most likely over coastal and adjacent inland areas between Ayr and Cooktown.

Rainfall will become more widespread from Wednesday, as the trough deepens and shifts further south and west.

Z_RN_QLD.PNG

Image: Forecast 24 hours rainfall accumulation to 10pm AEST Friday according to GFS (left) and ECMWF (right), with a potential tropical low strengthening in the Gulf of Carpentaira according to GFS.

There is some uncertainty regarding heavy rainfall developing further inland on Thursday and Friday, as a potential tropical low in the Gulf of Carpentaria migrates southeast into Queensland's interior.

Flooding may occur in some river catchments during the week to come, with localised flash flooding also a distinct possibility.

.RC.

One of Us
Oct 3, 2020
Well looks like we will get little to nothing now. Looking like the extreme dry of the past few years is not letting up it's stranglehold.

Reactions: Rainbow Serpant

Vinny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Yeppoon Queensland
Rocky should be on around 418mm by now and is on a pathetic 188mm.
230mm short.

Yeppoon is only 80mm short of the Jan - April average.

I was looking at last year for minimums and it was warmer than average mins, that is why it feels "cold" , this is more normal for this time of year but we haven't had it like this for a while.

Rocky last year April averaged 19.9 min and 30.8 max
18.8min so far 29.3 max so far 2021

Interesting last year Yepooon 27.8 max April 27.0 this year
21.3 min last year 20.2 2021

So yes cooler nights and days this April so far..not quite sure the reason, i'm thinking due to the continual SE winds and low humidity? It's not due to cloud as there is bugger all around.

Quite weird to see Rocky with temps predicted of only 28 on Thursday and 25-27 deg from Friday to Monday. Tuesday and Wednesday around 27 deg according to OCF.

Though the average is 28.8, perhaps there has been a lot of hot April's the past few years.

---

I have a linen sheet but have a light extra bamboo blanket on, notice a coolness just after midnight. Like right now it still feels not cool or too hot but sometime around after 1pm this air starts coming in.

Reactions: whether

Rainbow Serpant

One of Us
Nov 5, 2020
Rockhampton / Gulmarrad NSW
The past week of rainfall has reinforced the pattern we've been cursed with all wet season and for at least the last 4 years now. Rain in the north, rain in the south. Not much in between.

I think it's going to be a tough remainder of 2021 as CQ/WBB dries out even more. I hope people on the land, farmers and graziers can pull through and not have to sell up etc, but I think it's genuinely inevitable that this will happen.

2021041520210421.gif

Attachments

• 2020110120210331.png
    2020110120210331.png
    37.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20170401202103318.png
    20170401202103318.png
    49.7 KB · Views: 1

Rainbow Serpant

One of Us
Nov 5, 2020
Last big weather event I remember was Debbie from memory that happened overnight in 2017?

Was 2015 - Marcia 2017- Debbie neutral years?

2015 become one of the strongest La Ninas in recent times, off the chart !.
https://ggweather.com/enso/oni.htm
As for Debbie, I think that dropped very little rain for Rockhampton. It just rolled past out west, we got some thunder that night i recall.

And Vinny, this is a list of recent biggest yearly rainfall days for Rocky.
Notice the 2011/2012 small figures when looking at the Nina for those years on that link above. Keep looking and you'll find many examples of dry Ninas for Rocky.

March 17, 2021, 43.2 mm
February 9 2020, 55.1 mm
2019 No Data,
December 23, 2018, 52.3 mm
October 18, 2017, 102.1 mm
July 17, 2016, 135.9mm
February 20, 2015, 109.0 mm
February 1, 2014, 142.0 mm
January 25, 2013, 348.0 mm
January 30, 2012, 56.1 mm
August 28, 2011, 57.9 mm
December 26, 2010, 140.5mm

Reactions: whether and Flowin

Vinny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Yeppoon Queensland
Been quite cool and overcast the past few days , yesterday only 23.5 deg and Rocky 24.8 !

Yet again another overcast day, reminds me of a winters day in Perth, not cold though.

If all goes well a clear sky tomorrow !

But for how long....

.RC.

One of Us
Oct 3, 2020
Bad weather for renewable energy. No wind and cloudy. Although no wind is typical in April and May. My family has been running renewable wind energy since probably the 1900's or before, we are well versed on typical windless April and May.

.RC.

One of Us
Oct 3, 2020
33.5mm for the month. Average is around 50mm for here.

No let up on the dry period yet.

Reactions: Flowin

Vinny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Yeppoon Queensland
Despite Yeppoon apparently having 8mm one day 7mm the next in my gauge there is the grand total of 0mm.

Just noticed Samuel Hill has managed 57mm today.

Glad the BOM finally changed it to shower or two, because that's all it is . I've still managed to get the washing dry.

Rainbow Serpant

One of Us
Nov 5, 2020
Well that was a truly hopeless wet season, and adds to the 4 years of well below average rainfall now for the region. Actually I'd like to have the name wet season changed, as we clearly don't have them anymore. Maybe change from Wet & Dry season to. Hot & Cool seasons with no mention of wet or dry as its misleading and is irrelevant in this part or Qld.

Attachments

• 2017050120210430.png
    2017050120210430.png
    42 KB · Views: 2
  • 2020110120210331.png
    2020110120210331.png
    37.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 2020120120210430 (1).png
    2020120120210430 (1).png
    50.6 KB · Views: 1

Vinny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Yeppoon Queensland
So humid , 90 percent dew point 21 deg, and it's May friggin ridiculous ... only good thing is it will be 18 deg overnight.

I'm sure sometime last year in May we had a NW cloudband and had 12 deg as a day temp. I guess Facebook memories will remind me soon.

Reactions: Flowin and whether

.RC.

One of Us
Oct 3, 2020
Bom are back to predicting good chance of better then average rainfall for the next months. It is groundhog day, they said the same last year. Wait and see if their predictions are better this time around.

Reactions: whether

Dipole

Hard Yards
Jan 22, 2021
These storms seem to be delayed until Wednesday. Might be interesting at Hervey Bay. Storms are forming over the Island now, but the bay has missed rain so far. Humidity very high at 85%, feels uncomfortable and pre-monsoonal.
bomqldsevere.jpeg

Reactions: Flowin and Vinny

Vinny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Yeppoon Queensland
Yeah can this humidity go away? I'm mowing the lawn weekly still and was breaking out in sweat mowing it at 3pm this afternoon..crazy for May.. Darwin Airport had lower humidity today.

All this humidity today and nothing. I swear I saw a small cell near Rocky but nothing recorded.

I don't think Yeppoon or Rocky will get anything tomorrow, BOM puts it in the forecast just in case.

Reactions: Flowin and whether

Rainbow Serpant

One of Us
Nov 5, 2020
Bom are back to predicting good chance of better then average rainfall for the next months. It is groundhog day, they said the same last year. Wait and see if their predictions are better this time around.

I would not believe a word of it. Infact, I think if you went the opposite of what the BOM say you will me more on the money.

Dipole

Hard Yards
Jan 22, 2021
BOM have issued an update to their coastal warning (10am), I won't put another graphic up as it just a shrinking version of yesterdays.
This time the red " Severe thunderstorms likely" has contracted South and likely to miss Hervey Bay.

Vinny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Yeppoon Queensland
My heatrash between my arm and elbow is back again always flares up when the humidity goes high. It was fine yesterday which was worse humidity.. was outside around midday and was just sweating and sweating.

I can't think of their name on here but there's a storm possibly coming to Maryborough?

Vinny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Yeppoon Queensland
Hard to believe the average for May for Rocky is 26 deg every day bar one has been above that. It appears to be going back to those temps in the next few days.

Reactions: RhysD

RhysD

Hard Yards
Nov 25, 2020
Yes mega match from Maryborough vinny he has taken a leave from the forums due to lack of weather. Looks as though it missed town though unfortunately for them.
Temps go back up after this cool event however looks to be a big arctic blast in last few days of the month. Always get one some time in May.

RhysD

Hard Yards
Nov 25, 2020
Still lightning out to the west, some tiny storms developing, will have to wait and see if any of it reaches the coast however it should in some form as the trough moves offshore overnight/morning

Rainbow Serpant

One of Us
Nov 5, 2020
Another storm in Brisbane. Rocky gets nothing. I think the last proper storm we had here was about 13 months ago, before that was about 2004.
Yet my insurance company keeps putting my insurance up despite rockhampton having the most stable and benign weather in all of Australia. When I questioned the insurance mob they said rockhampton was prone to extreme weather including storms and cyclones. My response was “ that is 100% bullcr.p” and I even offered proof of declining weather events in this region. But they claim to know better. So I canceled all my insurance,

Vinny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Yeppoon Queensland
I thought you had moved to NSW?

My dad pays 176 dollars a month home and contents with Vero is that a lot ?

I had a question maybe some of you might know the answer to (can't recall if i asked on here or not)? Back when Yeppoon had 12 deg earlier this month , Rosslyn Bay was much warmer on 17 deg. My question is, both weather stations I assume are right near water so why is Rosslyn Bay harbour so much warmer, is it because it is sheltered with the bays? Then again I don't know where the weather station is it could be right out on the edge near water .

Yeah I think we're going into a no rain no showers nothing spell for a while now .

Strange year when Brisbane has had more rain than Yeppoon . I think Rocky was wetter last year but 2019 was similar to this year , Bundy was dry last year but not as bad as this year.

Rainbow Serpant

One of Us
Nov 5, 2020
I have purchased a house in NSW, which I’m slowly moving into with trailer loads of items every couple weeks. But still trying to sell the property here, but because it’s so dry and the market for rural land is so depressed due to the drought and climate change I’m also renovating the house and shed to make it more appealing to buyers etc.

Reactions: whether and Flowin

Vinny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Yeppoon Queensland
100 percent humidity no breeze not even raining, i'll wake up tomorrow and the air will be dryer.

Here's the Meteye forecast for tomorrow in Rocky, humidity as low as 20 percent and a dew point of 3 deg !

upload_2021-5-13_20-47-9.png

Vinny

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2019
Yeppoon Queensland
GFS has the min temps warming up for Yeppoon to 19-20 deg next week with the SE winds and small amounts of rain. Given it has said rain the last two times and we've had nothing, i'm gonna ignore it.

OCF has night mins on average and no rain as does ADFD.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass