Chains to Skituibe

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by J_busworth, Aug 18, 2018.

1. J_busworth

J_busworth Hard Yards

I am wondering what kind of conditions are required for chains to be needed down below the Skitube. I understand that Penderlea Gap is likely the main issue, but not sure what kind of conditions are needed for snow to that level.

*Not sure if its the right place. If it should be somewhere else happy for mods to move.*

2. rocketboy

rocketboy One of Us
    Ski Pass: Gold

I would expect chains will be required within an hour or so. Depends on how heavy it is low down in next hour. Tomorrow morning will be chains first thing - though should be clear once the traffic gets on it. Carpark will be another story. Keep an eye on live traffic at https://www.livetraffic.com/desktop.html#textview .

piolet likes this.
  3. rocketboy

rocketboy One of Us

All clear to skitube. No accumulation. Melting as it hits. Given the amount of traffic there will be it should be ok until early evening. But surely it will be chains up penderlea hill first thing Sunday morning. I plan to be on 332 down so will post an update before I leave skitube and if any issues on the hill over will update again

piolet, Ted Harper and The Fallen like this.
  4. rugbyskier

rugbyskier One of Us

The satnav in my car indicates that the elevation at the top of Penderlea Gap is around the same as Rangers Station but I have noticed that the microclimate of the Wollondibby Valley is drier than the Thredbo Valley, so snow down to Ngarigo or the Diggings doesn't necessarily mean that Penderlea Gap has enough snow to require chains.

oldgeezer and skiflat like this.
  5. chicski

chicski One of Us

I think the issue usually with Penderlea, and Snowline hills, is ice and steepness rather than snow

6. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum