Wanted Chains

Aractus

One of Us
Sep 5, 2018
Canberra
After breaking a pair of diamond chains on Wed I'm down to only 1x pair of ladder snow chains (oh the humanity) + 1 pair of thick mud chains (also ladder) I can use as the emergency spares. Ideally V2 Traction or similar in my size: 185/65-14 (V2 size "60"). I'm in Canberra.

Reactions: crackson

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Jan 17, 2014
Coastal suburban boonies.
After breaking a pair of diamond chains on Wed I'm down to only 1x pair of ladder snow chains (oh the humanity) + 1 pair of thick mud chains (also ladder) I can use as the emergency spares. Ideally V2 Traction or similar in my size: 185/65-14 (V2 size "60"). I'm in Canberra.
I was worried. I'm glad you have fallbacks.

Aractus

One of Us
Sep 5, 2018
Canberra
I've acquired a set off-forum, but I can still do with another set sometime:

chains.jpg

There's the rusty old mud/snow chains in the back. The ladders are back to being the spares. :cool:

Aractus

One of Us
Sep 5, 2018
Canberra
Thanks but my car's pretty old as you'd guess from the tyre size I'm only after something cheap (but good quality) to use as spares or when I may need to chain all tyres instead of the hoop chains. Most people only take one set of chains as it is, I prefer to always have a spare pair on hand. The hoop chains may not look like much, but they helped a lot two weeks ago that's for sure, they're a quality chain although only ladder-pattern.

Despite some light surface rust those V2s have never even been used, obvious if you look at them in person. My bet is the previous owner just did a handful of ski trips per year or something. They will get used this year though haha, I didn't get them just to leave them in my car and ski on only sunny days!

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
Thanks but my car's pretty old as you'd guess from the tyre size I'm only after something cheap (but good quality) to use as spares or when I may need to chain all tyres instead of the hoop chains. Most people only take one set of chains as it is, I prefer to always have a spare pair on hand. The hoop chains may not look like much, but they helped a lot two weeks ago that's for sure, they're a quality chain although only ladder-pattern.

Despite some light surface rust those V2s have never even been used, obvious if you look at them in person. My bet is the previous owner just did a handful of ski trips per year or something. They will get used this year though haha, I didn't get them just to leave them in my car and ski on only sunny days!
Probably have some V2 Tractions in that size. New. Cheap. (How does $60 + postage sound?)

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
I have a spare set of v2 tractors 12mm size 103. They won’t fit your tyres though.

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
Snowy Mountains
Deliberately. It's called the aspect ratio and it's the sidewall height given as a percentage of the width.

235/40-R18 = 40% of 235.

But you knew that. I was just giving a vague reference to how big my wheels were and suggesting wtf is on that van.

Reactions: teckel

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
Taller sidewalls than me.

Aftermarket wheels?
nah, I think they are factory. My van is a 4motion so that might make a difference to the wheels?

The new tyres are 225 60? R17, so I had to get new chains hence the old ones are spare (obsolete)

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
I should add I think the the initial chains were wrong. Although the right size for wheels, I think the 12 mm were for 2wd. Not sure if it makes a difference. I only fitted them once and it was tight and I took them off once we got out of the campsite.

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic

In case you are still looking, I have a set of slightly smaller 185/60R14. If they are of any use let me know

Aractus

One of Us
Sep 5, 2018
Canberra
I'm good for the moment thanks, size 50 may fit as the link does up pretty tight at the bottom:

chain-fit.jpg

Ignore the fact the chain links aren't pulled through evenly there, I've already used them twice and yes the red clip with the "60" size on it should be (and is) sitting further up against the wall of the tyre when in use and fitted properly for driving.

Aractus

One of Us
Sep 5, 2018
Canberra
Well after breaking my damn car now I need size 80, but not permanently since I'll only be borrowing the car from family! Maybe somewhere in Jindy will let me exchange/trade-in my hoop chains for a rental pair for a reasonable price, they're the same quality European-made as all the rentals and in good condition?

Swiss

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 29, 2015
Canberra
Well after breaking my damn car now I need size 80, but not permanently since I'll only be borrowing the car from family! Maybe somewhere in Jindy will let me exchange/trade-in my hoop chains for a rental pair for a reasonable price, they're the same quality European-made as all the rentals and in good condition?
I have a set of brand new 080 Königs listed a few posts down on here. The photos seem to have dropped off the forum since the rebuild though.

I'm in Farrer.

Reactions: Aractus

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne

When I've looked at things in the past, buying the XS Winter chains new and selling them on once they're not needed is cheaper than hiring for a week, and far cheaper than hiring for a weekend.

If you can buy some good chains second hand, then it's even better - you can usually on-sell them for near enough to the same price down the line.

Reactions: Aractus

Aractus

One of Us
Sep 5, 2018
Canberra
I have a set of brand new 080 Königs listed a few posts down on here. The photos seem to have dropped off the forum since the rebuild though.

I'm in Farrer.

Thanks, but I've already sorted out chains now.

When I've looked at things in the past, buying the XS Winter chains new and selling them on once they're not needed is cheaper than hiring for a week, and far cheaper than hiring for a weekend.

The large 4WD chains (and then after that the ones of heavy vehicles/equipment) are when they can start getting expensive.

Reactions: Swiss
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass