Chair Lift Etiquette

SMSkier

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 4, 2016
Just wondering what the views are on chairlift courtesy..... If a skier has the skis pointing straight forward (up the hill) and the boarder angles the snowboard across the chair.......is it reasonable for the boarder to use the skis (typically the folks won't know one another) as a snowboard resting point for the duration of the chairlift ride?

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
As a boarder of 20yrs I'd say no. I don't want to suffer the opprobrium of some insufferable Volvo driving skier. But seriously, no definitely not, unless they're my wife's skis. I've always been afraid of knocking the ski off

Reactions: qwill

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
Just wondering what the views are on chairlift courtesy..... If a skier has the skis pointing straight forward (up the hill) and the boarder angles the snowboard across the chair.......is it reasonable for the boarder to use the skis (typically the folks won't know one another) as a snowboard resting point for the duration of the chairlift ride?
Would you like someone to rest their snowboard on the bonnet of your sports car, whilst they pack their boot?

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
No but it is harder for a snowboarder to keep their board straight on a chair.

Kieran

A Local
Jan 1, 1970
Looking over your shoulder
Hell no.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Astro66

Still looking for a park in Thredbo
Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2009
Eastern Subs Syd
Meh ...... As a skier. Doesn't worry me.

The V8 at Perisher means that you cannot put all snowboarders on the outside. I've noticed all the snowboarders sitting sideways to keep the board straight. Must be uncomfortable doing it all day.

In a perfect world, they should ask before placing the board on my skis. But there are more important courtesies that I would prefer resolved. Like riding 1 up on T-Bars when there is a 20 mins queue. Now that shits me.

Froff Life

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 2, 2014
Melbourne
I wouldn't want a snowboarder potentially scratching my skis with their board. I usually try to let boarders go on the outside seats of the lift so they have more room to rest.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
I have honestly never had any problem with clashing boards/skis on lifts. To actually rest them on someone elses? Wouldnt that be like just kissing any chick(or guy) you share a chair with?

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
No. Way.

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
I have a boarder pushing on my skis so that it was uncomfortable. I ask them to move it. But I know that it is harder for them and give them some leeway (a bit like being patient with learner drivers ;)). And I'm not too precious about my skis, they are there to be used.

xuěboarder

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2016
I'm a snowboarder and I didn't even realise this was a thing. Cant say id even consider doing it hahaha
I think we should be more worried about both skiers and boarders who seem to have no spacial awareness in a busy line and continually smash their equipment into your edges..

Scooter

One of Us
Mar 1, 2001
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Likewise - I'm a boarder and a pretty unco inflexible one at that :D and I have never rested my board on any body else's gear (and that includes the family!!). Sure some times it can get a bit tricky what with skiers being all shapes and sizes (and their gear ;)) and same for boarders and then you have to throw natural and goofy stances into the mix but it always seems to work out with everybody's "stuff" over or under or worst case I will need to sit with more twist (this is where that inflexibility becomes an issue) but at the end of the day its only for a short time so not that hard.

Reactions: Froff Life

Crystal

Sand skier extraordinaire
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Far far away Aussie expat
Absolutely not..... skiers feet and legs hurt just as much as a snowboarders if not more with harder boots, they need a rest too.

Reactions: Apresski

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
.....But there are more important courtesies that I would prefer resolved. Like riding 1 up on T-Bars when there is a 20 mins queue. Now that shits me.

Moving along from that car wreck of thread......to my other pet hate: chairlift courtesy, or lack thereof.

First, to answer the OP.....NO, not ever.

To just chime in with my 2 cents worth. The only time that it is acceptable to ride up a t-bar or chair with an empty space or three is when there is no queue, or the queue is only a couple rows deep. More than that it can slow things right down.
The lifties, sadly, are between a rock and a hard place. They're often too busy bumping chairs to herd people but all too often if falls on them as there is no one else around. Perisher has improved in the last few years with marshalls. Some, though, are better than others.

I find some beginners are reluctant to form a pair up a t-bar as they mistakingly think they'll cause, not only themselves but also the unlucky punter to fall as well. I always try and do my civic duty and insist they come up with me. I assure them that they will be OK. Funnily enough...they don't fall over. They're often thankful and surprised once they get to the top and tell me they're glad that I had insisted that we go up together.

And how do people feel about calling out "single" if your towards the back of the queue? I often get dirty looks when I do that. I'm just filling up and otherwise empty spot.

Over to you...

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
As a boarder of 20yrs I'd say no. I don't want to suffer the opprobrium of some insufferable Volvo driving skier. But seriously, no definitely not, unless they're my wife's skis. I've always been afraid of knocking the ski off
Wait. You're a boarder and you know a big word like "opprobrium"?????
:out:

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Boarders should stand aside and clear a path for me to the chair, throwing rose petals before me.

When I alight from the lifts any boarders in the vicinity should offer me an honour guard...perhaps fireworks and a full military band.

Bluebird

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 16, 2013
Melbourne
I'm going to add to the 'no' chorus. I have 4.5kg attached to each leg with skis and boots. I don't want an extra few kilos of pressure from someone's snowboard.

I always let snowboarders sit on the outside of chairlifts and for complete self-centred reasons:
1. They're less likely to crash into me getting off the chair if they don't know what they're doing.
2. They make a nice wind-block on the chairlift ride.

parkmonkey

Pool Room
Ski Pass
May 20, 2005
On a wave or mountain face near you.
This punk carried my skis for me
mfm26_hauc.jpg

robbo mcs

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
Would you like someone to rest their snowboard on the bonnet of your sports car, whilst they pack their boot?

Hi,

Have you seen what my car looks like after a season in the perisher car park? Basically looks like everyone has rested their skis and boards on every panel of the car. Actually the sides look like people have used it as a spot to test how sharp there edges are :eek: Good job I'm not precious about my cars ;)

Reactions: SkiMountaineer

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
I am with annabuzzy as long as the boarders pick up the rose petals after I have passed ....

but in answer to the question ... would you park in a disabled spot ?

Reactions: Rimey and Annabuzzy

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Sorry, if you can't control your equipment, get a new sport. Lack of ability on your part, should never impinge on what I do.
I'm not a snowboarder, but I'm happy to cut them some slack, given that all the infrastructure out there was designed with skiers in mind.

Reactions: xuěboarder

Kieran

A Local
Jan 1, 1970
Looking over your shoulder
I'm not a snowboarder, but I'm happy to cut them some slack, given that all the infrastructure out there was designed with skiers in mind.
And this is where this thread crosses over with the thread about why people choose skis or snowboads. Why would you purposefully choose a device that's ill-fitted to the infrastructure, then complain about it.

If only there was some snowboard-like device but where your bindings were mounted facing forwards, so that it was easier to use chairlifts... Oh, wait a minute...

book_snow_monoski_lemonoski.jpg

NightSky

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2015
Omega Centauri
I'm not picking on snowboarders in particular. My 12 yo daughter had to carried off the mountain in 2015 because someone in front of her couldn't get off the chairlift properly, because they couldn't control their equipment. Fell into her pushing her over, she slammed down hard on the snow ramp and bruised her tailbone.

While it might appear to have been an "accident", it was carelessness and inattention and lack of control on their part. Didn't even say sorry, just picked up their gear and scooted off.

Reactions: ladycamper

Bluebird

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 16, 2013
Melbourne
I'm not picking on snowboarders in particular. My 12 yo daughter had to carried off the mountain in 2015 because someone in front of her couldn't get off the chairlift properly, because they couldn't control their equipment. Fell into her pushing her over, she slammed down hard on the snow ramp and bruised her tailbone.

While it might appear to have been an "accident", it was carelessness and inattention and lack of control on their part. Didn't even say sorry, just picked up their gear and scooted off.
Ouch, your poor daughter! That must have hurt. Also who knocks over a kid and keeps going?!

I saw a lady have her leg broken in the middle of Falls Creek village. She was quietly skiing along when a snowboarder came tearing along behind her, clipped the back of both skis and sent her over sideways. Snowboarder kept going even though they saw and heard what they did. I've never heard a scream of pain like it, it was awful.

Reactions: ladycamper
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass