Admin Notice Changes to Culture Vulture, Uncertainty Principle & Bear Pit

Skichic2

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2017
If I may, perhaps, and I mean this in very good faith, given the changes to access on a user cost base which by its very nature of financial outlay requires a deliberate decision, would it be at all possible to remove the ignore functionality as an inclusion in the $3.50 premium and for a discount of $0.50 remove the ability to report posts from the areas covered by the $3.50 premium ?

As a random aside .... TGIF
Read that 3 times and still confused. Why would you want to remove the ignore? It is bliss. And anyway you could just not use it?

Reactions: fennekeg

Harper11

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 20, 2002
Brisbane
If I may, perhaps, and I mean this in very good faith, given the changes to access on a user cost base which by its very nature of financial outlay requires a deliberate decision, would it be at all possible to remove the ignore functionality as an inclusion in the $3.50 premium and for a discount of $0.50 remove the ability to report posts from the areas covered by the $3.50 premium ?

As a random aside .... TGIF
You want to make it not possible to put you on ignore?

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
What pisses me off is that there is nowhere for a sane political discussion. eg: I started a thread about the prospects for the 2020 Presidential elections (US). The idea was to discuss and monitor the various candidates for both parties to see where it led. Instead, it's turned into a bunfight between Joe, Dbski, Taipan and a few others against Legs against everyone else. It's become a barracking match for and against Trump. FFS, I rarely visit the thread even though I started it. Is there anyway a legitimate political discussion can be held?
(Maybe I should delete the thread :evil: That would upset a few. Hehehe)

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
I would like to see every fourth post mandated by executive order to be a happy post, dry and crisp, sharp as sickle in the hay and that spelling tragics just go fck it auto correct and move to post four.

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
What pisses me off is that there is nowhere for a sane political discussion. eg: I started a thread about the prospects for the 2020 Presidential elections (US). The idea was to discuss and monitor the various candidates for both parties to see where it led. Instead, it's turned into a bunfight between Joe, Dbski, Taipan and a few others against Legs against everyone else. It's become a barracking match for and against Trump. FFS, I rarely visit the thread even though I started it. Is there anyway a legitimate political discussion can be held?
Your summary of the thread is pretty much all there is to say about USA politics. There really just is no more to it.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
I am puzzled about this sense of ownership that folks feel about a thread they start.

It a thread, not a puppy. Let it be free to be whatever it wants to be.
It is frustrating not to be able to have sensible discussions. There are plenty of people here who i may disagree with but we can have civil discussions. I might even end up agreeing with some of their points. and then there are dickheads who have absolutely no idea about sensible discussion. Ignore is the only solution, other than total disengagement

TOFF

Triple premiership Pants man
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Wuhan
My skin is not thick enough for that arena!
Once you understand the demographic of them, they really aren't that scary.
Just more senior guys (can't call them old) who were too busy doping while the rest of their peers were becoming the richest generation in history and because they missed out, they want to destroy the system.

Last edited:

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
Once you understand the demographic of them, they really aren't that scary.
Just more senior guys who were too busy doping while the rest of their peers were becoming the richest generation in history and because they missed out, they want to destroy the system.
That sounds like a pretty good explanation to me! :p

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
I am puzzled about this sense of ownership that folks feel about a thread they start.

It a thread, not a puppy. Let it be free to be whatever it wants to be.
No sense of 'ownership'. But you normally start a thread because you want to discuss something. When that thread goes pear-shaped, you can no longer discuss the issue at hand. The purpose of the thread is destroyed.

Ultrasteez

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2016
Because it's not worth that.

I currently subscribe to NYT for $5 per month. That's a real publication. This joint aint worth $5 per month.

Also... Economically and for the health of the dynamic, I've better off with 1000 subs @ $33 than 500 @ $50

NYT isn’t worth $5 a month either..... total rag.

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
Isn't the US election at its heart a barracking match for and against Trump?

Reactions: teckel

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
Pavilion sounds like a pretty boring name for the new proposal though

Colleseum was a contender but too obvious.

Pavilions are where boxing matches are held (in Au).

The Garden I liked but anything with ‘The’ was too many characters for a navigation tab.

Seth

I am figure skating
Ski Pass
Jun 6, 2000
The Higher Ground
I was slow to put peope on ignore. But over time the number slowly increased. in the last 2 months it's skyrocketed. My tolerance for dickheads is much reduced at a time when dickheadedness is on the rise.
It’s the best feature of the forum. Greatly adds to the experience. Some people just don’t add any value so it makes it better to not see it at all.

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
I'm not a significant contributor to the bear pit so couldn't be bothered paying extra for the pleasure of it. Pavilion sounds like a pretty boring name for the new proposal though. How about the colesium or Thunderdome? Two men enter one man leavesLOL
br00-poster1b.jpg

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
It’s the best feature of the forum. Greatly adds to the experience. Some people just don’t add any value so it makes it better to not see it at all.
I’m quite conflicted as to whether I’ll pay the $3.50 - naturally I couldn’t give a flying fark about the infinitesimal cost, I reckon blissful ignorance might actually be more powerful than the ignore function, which I couldn’t agree with you more about and have used for many years, I still remember a butthurt HiLo thread about it when he found out I had ignored him.

But I do wonder whether curiosity will get the better of me and I just won’t be able to live knowing that it’s going on in a place that I’ve voluntarily opted out of.

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
But I do wonder whether curiosity will get the better of me and I just won’t be able to live knowing that it’s going on in a place that I’ve voluntarily opted out of.
But why do you need it in "Active Topics" to sate your curiosity?

Reactions: piolet

Budgiesmuggler

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 7, 2010
I do post in the bear pit. I have never had a post moderated and j don’t think anyone has me on ignore. So I’m pretty salty about changes being made just because others can’t have a civil discussion.

Can those that are being moderated pay?

Skichic2

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2017
I was slow to put peope on ignore. But over time the number slowly increased. in the last 2 months it's skyrocketed. My tolerance for dickheads is much reduced at a time when dickheadedness is on the rise.
Same. That and extra long posts of waffle.

Reactions: currawong

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
Given Seinfeld finished over 30yrs ago I am cool with whatever changes Steinbrenner wants to make to the playing rules.

After so many years of getting stalked around the forum by light weights without a conversation, man players in bad trousers, teachers pets and fisher wives waving stale baguette an extra $3.50 would just be an aged care entertainment supplement.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass