Admin Notice Changes to Forum Global Navigation* -- they are a comin'

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
* Not the GPS satellites

Global navigation of these forums will be changed within the next two weeks to enable a consistent experience across the entire site.

At the moment, ski.com.au homepage and all the snowcams (and other miscellaneous web pages) live on a Content Management System (CMS) - and the forums are on a separate platform (called Xenforo). The upgrade to Xenforo 2 last year threw out all the template hacks I had in place to create consistency across the two platforms - this time I'm taking a slightly different approach that requires waaaaaaay less hacks.

The changes will be;

Global (top row)
Snow Cams Forum Active Topics

Sub Navigation (2nd row)
Weather Snow Resorts Travel Apres Pavilion Help

Some of you may have noted the changes on the CMS system already, and today I have added Snow Cams to the forum menu and moved Active Topics to the #3 position (this will no doubt cause some muscle-memory twitches for many people, myself included)

So.. in a nutshell, I'm getting a few of the chess pieces in place prior to the 'smash cut' that will happen soon.

As per usual, ask questions below and, depending on my mood, you may or may not be ignored ;)

For the curious, I'm playing around over on dev.ski.com.au (U: forum PW: friend) - but it does not map exactly to what I intend to do, it's just a playground for the process.

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
Global navigation of these forums will be changed within the next two weeks to enable a consistent experience across the entire site.

At the moment, ski.com.au homepage and all the snowcams (and other miscellaneous web pages) live on a Content Management System (CMS) - and the forums are on a separate platform (called Xenforo). The upgrade to Xenforo 2 last year threw out all the template hacks I had in place to create consistency across the two platforms - this time I'm taking a slightly different approach that requires waaaaaaay less hacks.

The changes will be;

Global (top row)
Snow Cams Forums Active Topics

Sub Navigation (2nd row)

Some of you may have noted the changes on the CMS system already, and today I have added Snow Cams to the forum menu and moved Active Topics to the #3 position (this will no doubt cause some muscle-memory twitches for many people, myself included)

So.. in a nutshell, I'm getting a few of the chess pieces in place prior to the 'smash cut' that will happen soon.

As per usual, ask questions below and, depending on my mood, you may or may not be ignored ;)

For the curious, I'm playing around over on dev.ski.com.au (U: forum PW: friend) - but it does not map exactly to what I intend to do, it's just a playground for the process.
I just thought I was losing my mind when my mouse went right and had to move left to find "Active Topics". :D

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

scottski

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2004
Homebush NSW
I blame Russia for interfering in the Geo Satellites that run the GPS System.
I knew something was going on.
Today it took me an hour to find my car in the carpark at Chatswood Chase. The “Your Car Parked Here “ feature on my iPhone was 500 metres out.
I’m glad your fixing it Richard.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
I blame Russia for interfering in the Geo Satellites that run the GPS System.
I knew something was going on.
Today it took me an hour to find my car in the carpark at Chatswood Chase. The “Your Car Parked Here “ feature on my iPhone was 500 metres out.
I’m glad your fixing it Richard.
Your welcome.

(so.much.value.for.just.$33)

Doonks

Let's cook!
Ski Pass
Jul 17, 2000
Mulgrave, VICTORIA
200.gif

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
My poor addled brain is not adapting very quickly to active topics on the left. It's a better place, but so hard to adapt to. Esp when you still go right to the lightning bolt on mobile. I guess in a few days it will seem like it's always been this way

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

TOFF

Your face is my case
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
* Not the GPS satellites

The changes will be;

Global (top row)
Snow Cams Forum Active Topics

Sub Navigation (2nd row)

This change sucks mate, I keep ending up in Pavillion before adjusting.
I dont need to be this physically and mentally challenged when I make a major contribution of $33 per year......that's every year not a one off purchase price.
If you are going to put dodgy links for me to follow, at least make them interesting like Brazzers or to fill my fetish tastes, Snowatch.

TOFF

Your face is my case
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
IKR!

same here.

I knew it would cause grief. Which is why I thought I should make the change two steps.

But I'm beginning to suspect it may actually have just been easier to go straight to this;.

Screenshot 2022-05-27 160426.png
We are merely puppets in your live experiment.
Lucky we are so patient with you ;)

Reactions: Richard

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Yeah swap active for pavilion.

My fingers are too short to get to active otherwise,

Reactions: Chaeron

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
I really don't like the fact that the blue on the cams page is a different shade to the blue on the forum page. Its kinda messing with my CDO..... :D :D :D

Yep

Patience young grasshopper

Does the current masthead mapping between forums and snowcams satisfy your CDO tendencies?

(it nearly satisfies mine.. still not an exact and seamless mapping - but at least the black is gone)

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using