System Update Changes to saved drafts whilst posting new message

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
I don't use the in built editor so those changes don't impact me, but just for a counter-point, I sometimes have draft posts in the works for a day or two, occasionally for up to a week while I check details or wait till I have enough time to edit it properly.

Anyway, I'm not supposed to be hanging around here for now so I'll waddle off again...

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
I don't use the in built editor so those changes don't impact me, but just for a counter-point, I sometimes have draft posts in the works for a day or two, occasionally for up to a week while I check details or wait till I have enough time to edit it properly.

Anyway, I'm not supposed to be hanging around here for now so I'll waddle off again...
But presumably you could use the save draft button to hold onto genuine wip. Or is that cleared too? I'll do a test draft.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
Draft is draft. It auto saves every 60 seconds making the manual save almost superfluous but either way it is going to clear after 2 hours (or whatever the current setting is)

Might be better back to 4 hours.

Using it like CW describes is what it was intended for.

What we have here is an attempt to fix a problem a few people have, and the fix compromises the few who use it correctly. Few v few. Which is the better UX?

The problem the few have is easily fixed by deleting all text and then manually saving an empty draft. However this requires user education.

My angle is attempting to understand how many are actually inconvenienced by 24h draft cache they get stuck with and don't know how to clear. Is it indeed just a few, or is it many?

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Since auto saved and manually saved drafts are treated the same way, I personally would prefer to have the draft available for longer. It is not uncommon to be interrupted before being able to complete a post. Annoying as it is to have to delete and save stuff you don't intend posting (eg several times a day when i hit reply instead of like) I think it is the lesser evil. Not sure how you educate people about the celete and save procedure. I didn't think it was rocket science but then I've been playing with dumb computers for 40+ years.

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
The problem is like & reply proximity, which I improved on mobile recently.

Probably should do same and increase separation of like and reply on desktop and then we can increase drafts to say six hours or even revert to 24.

Reactions: currawong

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
And/or a "Delete draft" button that does the delete text & save dance. But of course that comes at a relatively high UI "complexity friction" cost (mental blank; what's the right term for that?)

Reactions: currawong

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
The problem is like & reply proximity, which I improved on mobile recently.

Probably should do same and increase separation of like and reply on desktop and then we can increase drafts to say six hours or even revert to 24.
Certainly accidental reply is the most frequent cause of unwanted drafts, for me at least. However it's not uncommon for me to start a reply and then think better of it. @cold wombat's suggestion about delete and save (erase?) button is good if it is practical.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass