1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Charlotte Pass 2011

Discussion in 'Charlotte Pass' started by rocketboy, Jun 25, 2011.

1. rocketboy

rocketboy One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

With the opening of CP for 2011 - I thought it might be a good idea to start a new thread with a clean slate.

We just spent the day there on Friday and my first impressions were very good. All the mountain and management staff we spoke to during the day were friendly, helpful and clearly trying to do their best to make 2011 a turning point. At Perisher Terminal, Arches Restaurant, The Oversnow, Front of House, Kosi Cafe - everywhere we went you felt like your patronage was truly appreciated.

A major effort had been made by the mountain crews on Wednesday and Thursday to get as many lifts and runs open for Friday and the first weekend.

Although the chair was only running to mid station - the T-Bar was operating and after a few problems was back in operation by midday.

Given the history of the Pulpit - it was really fun to be able to ski that famous hill on the opening day. The runs were groomed and fast. It clearly needs another good snow dump to fill in the remaining rocks and get the top of the hill open. But for June it was very very good.

There are lots of new staff including a new Resort Manager - who was friendly, helpful and looking forward to making 2011 a much better year. Some of the old staff are still there and much happier after last year's problems.

Resort owner - Kevin was out and about helping and listening and given how much money it must be costing to refurbish - needs to be congratulated for seeing it through.

Charlotte Pass is as we all know an utterly unique experience for skiing in Australia. It's not a super black run resort, but something else entirely different and despite finding the runs a little boring last year - the trade off for being totally isolated from the crowds and drunks of elsewhere is worth it.

True ski in ski out is very rare elsewhere and with kids you really can let them go out and have fun without being a helicopter parent the whole time.

But it is the snow and it can be very dangerous and after seeing too many parents last year leave their kids to make their own way back in after 3.30, you still need to be proactive and get out there and keep an eye on them and not be too lax as the day gets on.

With the snow hopefully looking good for 2011 - the lodges need to start offering some deals of their own to get the punters back. From what the weather gurus are saying elsewhere on the forums - Mid July onwards should be looking good - the modern 4 term holidays really does make the July Holiday period a major risk - but going short notice is always an option and the Lodges and the Chalet need to be proactive on the marketing and offer last minute deals all the way through the holidays.

Management though needs to cut some slack on the oversnow pricing and make the mid week arrival options much more attractive. The Day Tripper package seems so good in comparison - so I don't understand why they don't sell overnite deals for a combo oversnow/ski ticket that would make the mid week 2-4 day stays a lot more attractive. After you hand over a bundle to the skitube - it just hurts to then pay another 75 dollars to get over snow and then still have to pay for a ski ticket if only staying a couple of nights.

Another good idea would be one free ticket up the Chair each day for cross country skiers. That would get them up the hill and out into the easier back country area, and conserve a lot of energy - which could make all the difference if the weather turns bad.

Making the ticketing and over snow deals more attractive will have direct benefits elsewhere in the consumer chain, as people will spend more money at Arches and the Adams Cocktail Bar if there are a few dollars left in their pockets. And the total take per customer will be the same if not better.

One good improvement I noticed was that the lunch time menu at Arches is now excellent value. At 20 dollars for a main course - I'll happily eat at Arches when staying at the Chalet rather than having a baked bean picnic on the floor in my Chalet room. The old lunch selection was just terrible and not worth the money.

But from what I saw on Friday - I was impressed - though the kids thought it was too classy - so maybe a few boring kids options - like nuggets, chips, sausage rolls and hotdogs - with a salad on the side - might help to keep the whole family happy when lunching together at Arches.

But seriously for 20 dollars a main - the lunch menu at Arches was simply stunning and really puts Perisher to shame for the rip off the place is - 6.50 for a hot chocolate is simply insulting. Whereas at CP you can get a hot drink for 4 dollars and less.

So well done Kevin, Lachlan, Christine and all the staff - you scored a home run with the kids and myself this year and I look forward to being on that oversnow back to CP in a few weeks time.

2. xski

xski First Runs

Nice work rocketboy & thanks for kicking of the thread.

We've got a crew of families heading in for second week of the holidays so it will be interesting to make the comparison with last year, but from your report things seem to be on the improve.

3. Angus_McCrory

Angus_McCrory Old n' Crusty

Nice to be able to give bouquets after all of last year’s brick bats.

4. Nidecker

Nidecker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

All sounds very positive, it really has so much potential, in large part, because there is a complete lack of wanchors attracted to the place :)

5. Nidecker

A quick look at the video cam, looks like they have done a great job of opening the mountain with not that much snow. Well Done.

6. rocketboy

As long as there is no rain, it will only take one more reasonable snowfall and the chair should be open to the top. It looks like the latest weather runs are showing an upgrade for the forecasts for Monday and Tuesday next week. So with a bit of luck that should do it. If that's' the case and the chair is open next week - I'll be going down just for a night and a couple of back to back day trips. The kids just like the crowd free slopes so much and as a parent being able to chill out and not spend every minute watching out for them makes the 6 hour drive - plus oversnow - a small price to pay. And besides next year could easily be a crap year.

7. Mils

Mils One of Us

Nice info Rocketboy, I've been keen to check out charloettes

Google maps states its 2hours 30mins to perisher ski tube terminal by car.

Is that correct or is it more like 3 hours?

8. Nidecker

Transport is via overnsow from Perisher Valley. it is 40 mins ish depending. There is no car access in winter.

#8 Nidecker, Jun 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  9. Mils

Mils One of Us

oh sorry I meant 2.5 hours to perisher valley from canberra. Sorry I missed that rather glaring issue!

sorry

10. D-eye

D-eye Photographer and skier Moderator

allow 3 for traffic and snow conditions.Though if you aren't day tripping you need to park at Bullock Flats and take the tube.

11. Mils

Mils One of Us

yeah plan is day trip for sure. Last day trip ruled so we're keen to do it again. Makes it quite affordable when you don't have to pay for accommodation.

Thanks I'll make sure we leave early enough then. 5:30 start this time! [​IMG]

#11 Mils, Jun 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  12. Nidecker

[​IMG] that is rather glaring isn't it, it's the one reason living in Canberra would be good.... :)

We are actually staying at Perisher next week, if in snows early in the week, might take a day trip too, be nice to see what the vibe is like this year.

#12 Nidecker, Jun 28, 2011
  13. Ski95

Ski95 Hard Yards

Thanks for the thread rocketboy.
    Was just wanting to know people thoughts on the opening of Guthries.
    I will be there for 4 days from Saturday the 9th July and was wanting to know my chances of skiing Guthries this year?

14. Angus_McCrory

Guthries lift won't open without a good fall of snow to cover the sacred rocks at the bottom, you may get lucky. Mind you, I've skiied Guthries many times without the lift running, just needs some leg power.

15. rocketboy

The problem with Guthries is that the lift is so unreliable - combined with one load of daytrippers who can't ride a poma on a snowboard and bang the queue just goes right out. Then getting back across the flat to the TBar is hard work unless the snow is nice and hard. One of the few good outcomes of the new NSW govt might be a more positive attitude to some small improvements at CP - such as the new lift going in at Guthries, and some rock removal. But just watch the Packers down the road become Greenies overnight if there is the mere hint of any competition - however small that competition might be - elsewhere in the Snowy Mountains.

16. Nidecker

Thats too funny, just the thought on JP as a greenie, his dad used to hang out of a helicopter over one of their farms and machine gun wildlife...

The one (and only) thing thing the groomer did last year was farm a whole lot of snow from the other side of the road to get guthries open but you had to pick your way down low. :)

#16 Nidecker, Jun 29, 2011
  17. Angus_McCrory

The sacred rocks (glacial remnants) will never be moved, its not a case of a more positive attitude to small improvements. And the poma is great, especially when operating as a self-loading lift; but if you don't know how to use it, learn quickly or stick to the chair (I would assume if you can't ride a poma, you would also struggle with a t-bar).

18. Nidecker

[​IMG]
    If my (last year 7 year old) 22kg daughter can ride it with NO problems, anyone can!! :) It did lift / make her a bit light on her feet, in places, but she still never fell off, and loaded herself. Actually n reflection, she also rode it a 6 years old with help loading from me.
    [​IMG]

#18 Nidecker, Jun 29, 2011
  19. Ski95

Ski95 Hard Yards

Thanks for the tips, lets hope we get some more snow falling next week then.

20. Sago

Sago Hard Yards

Hi Nidecker,
    Your daughter is exceptional.
    Don't want to blow smoke where it doesn't belong but it may be because the father would blow 99% of boarders of the hill.You have taught her well.
    Still holding that beer for you.
    Skiing currently good with dry snow but in urgent need of a top up.A lot of nasties hiding for those new ski's/boards.
    Still compared to the last few years a great start.
    Sago

21. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

One of the few good outcomes of the new NSW govt might be a more positive attitude to some small improvements at CP - such as the new lift going in at Guthries,

Hi Rocketboy - I'm curious to know more about the new/ proposed lift. Been years since my last winter visit but still good to know what's on the table. Cheers.

22. Sago

Sago Hard Yards

Night skiing tonight ,good to see they finally have made it to top of basin poma.Now a real worth while experience for both kids and adults.
    A real positive start this season,Amazing what a few good managers with persoanlity and drive can do.Treating the public with respect wll go along way to rebuilding resort.
    Lift lines non existent this week and numbers down over the next few weeks.
    Lodges are offering reduced tariffs over the next few weeks so may be great time to visit CP.
    Don't want to sound like a salesman but to see the damage done by J over the last 2 season's all efforts are being made to make good the bad feeling left behind.
    Fingers crossed for good snowfalls next week.Chair may open to top with another 20-30cm.
    Snowmaking has finally been under way the last few nights topping up the high traffic area's.Still would like to see bottom of T targetted as well as bottom of chair.

23. Nidecker

I'll take you up on that this year, we are back around 14 August, but we do have a week at Perisher next week, so IF it snows we might pop in on a day ticket later in the week. I reckon the owner could be onto a winner with the new management from the sound of things, but it will take a year or two to build again, fingers crossed for all concerned.

#23 Nidecker, Jun 29, 2011
  24. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Ditto. Will it replace Guthries or (hopefully) access new territory that is currently unlifted?

#24 Bogong, Jun 30, 2011
  25. Ski95

Ski95 Hard Yards

Lot's of snow predicted over the next week. Any opinions on what lift's we could see open following the 44cm predicted by Mountain Watch (http://www.mountainwatch.com/) and similar amounts on a number of other snow forecasting sites for next week?

Whatever we see open, this sounds like a decent fall that should top up the resort cover well.

26. rocketboy

It should be enough to get the Chair open to top station. Guttries will surely take another dump again. Just depends on how it falls, and and weather they are making snow at the bottom where all those big nasty rocks are. Sago - have they been making snow down there or does the hose pipe not reach that far?

27. Sago

Sago Hard Yards

Right of T should be able to open as well as chair to top.Gutheries still a good 60cm's of.
    Chair could open to top and have run directly under groomed but resort management(cautiously) always wants the SRI trail open to allow beginners acccess back down.Sign could be errected stating advanced riders only to top.
    Well shouldn't matter this time next week.(fingers crossed)

28. Nidecker

You mean a sign like this? [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#28 Nidecker, Jul 1, 2011
  29. Ski95

Ski95 Hard Yards

Another quick question, what are the lift operating times this year? Any changes?

30. rocketboy

Sadly they still start at 8.30 on the T. 9 on th chair. And all over 4.15 onwards. Though doesn't Guthries call last list at 3.45?

Hopefully that might change this season and see the Chair and T start at 7.30 like they do at Hotham on some of the better runs.

Seems silly not to get the lifts spinning nice and early when there is light and the sun is actually hitting the slopes. Whereas they are often shaded by 3 onwards and turning into obstacles courses of refrozen lumps of churned up snow. Do any of the lift start early at PB and Thredbo? Or is that purely a Hotham innovation?

31. BackcountryDreamin

BackcountryDreamin First Runs

thanks for the heads up rocketboy!

32. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

8.30am at thredbo for the main lifts. Benefit of having a few effective lifts as opposed to a PB setup.

33. Sago

Sago Hard Yards

Hi Rocketboy,
    In reference to earlier post from you no snow making as yet at bottom of T of Guthries.Have only ever seen it once made at gutheries and that was about 10 years ago by Sweetpee.He also did Tbar face and right of T.
    The problem with this system is that the winds may be detrimental at base of T and left of Guthries poma base unless snow fence's are erected as in previous years.Right of poma will catch the snow due to the clump of tree's just before the rise.
    None the less if predicted falls come of it will be enough to open the entire hill as packing has already taken place on the top part of Guthries.
    Chair will open to top once's the winds abate.
    Still vacancies across the resort over the next few weeks so if you can make it come on up.

34. Nidecker

It's a little hard to stomach, with the collective knowledge around that resort, that they haven't actually put up snow fences yet. The cost wouldn't even rate a line item in a budget, yet the difference to the resort would be monumental.

A some point Kevin needs to suck up some of his pride and commission Asher to write a mountain prep manual for the place, it is a pity to see all that knowledge go to waste! I'm sure people like Sago could add to it as well.

Mountain prep = Black Art [​IMG]

#34 Nidecker, Jul 5, 2011
  35. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local

How is Rick going any scandals yet ????

I have asked Mocko to keep a good eye on him ......

36. Angus_McCrory

How long has Mocko been at CP, something like 30 years. I'm sure he's seen a bit in his time.

37. rocketboy

hey Sago should be there Monday week - the 18th - let's have a beer sometime.

38. Sago

Sago Hard Yards

Mocko has been at resort since 79 i think.
    No Scandals with rick.His partner arrived Friday.
    Rocketboy, PM me and would love to catch up.
    Snowstorm tonight I would liken to 1 in 5 year event.Was a really nasty day out there today.Transport tonight ran of road and I can appreciate how bad driving out there tonight would have been.Luckily no injuries and everyone arrived safely.
    All runs should open by weekend if this continues as forecast.Creek all but covered over so most lodges now door to door skiing.
    As I said before still many vacanicies across the entrie resort for the next 3 weeks.Including school holidays.Definately not worth missing out on.

39. Nidecker

Sago, had a look at the stilwell web cam, the resort looks a treat, can't see the bottom of guthries, but that must have picked up some snow as well?

40. jrr

jrr Hard Yards

Well all this good news has got me thinking I might go back again after the last few years off... It was getting rid of Willie Qua & the Babe Magnets that was the final straw for me... now if the new managemet coud get Willie back I'd be a definite.

I must call him & see if he has been invited... Anybody heard anything ?

jr

41. jrr

jrr Hard Yards

Took the plunge ! Daughter & myself booked for the last weekend of July... I just couldn't resist even if Willy Q not going to be playing his Sax...

Surely 3 1/2 weeks is enough time to get Guthries open !

42. xski

xski First Runs

I'm hoping 3 1/2 DAYS is enough time to get Guthries open !

#42 xski, Jul 6, 2011
  43. jrr

jrr Hard Yards

I can assure you I will be as pleased as you (well almost ;-) if Guthries is open this weekend !!!!

44. Nidecker

You've got snow

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#44 Nidecker, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  45. Tree Breaker Bob

Tree Breaker Bob Addicted

Looking good
    Might try for a day this weekend or early in the week

46. kiter

kiter One of Us

the cams look great after all the snow .Is there anyone there ?It looks deserted

47. Sago

Sago Hard Yards

Hi,
    Today was superb,
    snow quality/quantity excellent.
    Downside no chair to top(maybe tomorrow I am told) and no Guthries.
    No Poma's on Guthries at yet so at best maybe monday/Tuesday.
    Enough snow to open so no excuse there.
    Still worth the trip YES

48. Dusty B

Dusty B One of Us

Unreal news. Hoping to throw a day trip in at some stage (late this month if very lucky).

49. Crosstips

Crosstips Hard Yards

Well ,what a start to July. With over 160cm natural snow depth, i would imagine as of next week every lift and all terrain would be skiable. Come on mountain management, make us proud !. Where on our way

50. Ski95

Ski95 Hard Yards

Any news on Guthries today? Will we see it open this weekend?