Charlotte Pass 2012 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

rocketboy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 9, 2010
Gerroa
charlotte-valley-view-tbar-apr-25.jpg

April 25, 2012 - only 2 months to go and the T-bar will be running ...
woohoo.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

BronnyBean

One of Us
May 15, 2009
Neerim, Victoria
Re: Charlotte Pass 2012

I'd love to do CP this year but I'm going to be scraping just for a weekend at Smigs!
eek.gif
laugh.gif

Tree Breaker Bob

One of Us
Jul 19, 2006
Dalmeny South Coast NSW

When all the season passes were being offered by other resorts CPV finally offered season passes in Dec ( u had to pay in full) for $499 + $50 unlimited oversnow and even though I had purchased a perisher pass as well I find CPV to be a relaxing holiday being able to return to the lodge for lunch etc

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding

Tree Breaker Bob said:
..............as well I find CPV to be a relaxing holiday being able to return to the lodge for lunch etc

Yes my wife is going to miss this over the next 2 years at least, as we have Thredbo passes, with the guarantee of the same price next year.

Assuming they don't offer it again for 2014, I will have to pry my daughter away from the Thredbo facilities, and drag her back to CP
smile.gif

We will miss you all this year.

Dave

kiter

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 21, 2002
Newcastle

I was unaware of the Thredbo guarantee ,Where was that? Yep missed the CP cheap passs too .I didn;t see anything anywhere about it

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009

kiter said:
I was unaware of the Thredbo guarantee ,Where was that? Yep missed the CP cheap passs too .I didn;t see anything anywhere about it

I'm sure I read it at the time of purchase, might have been in the t&c for Perisher though? Thredbo changed their offer page on Monday, 30 April 2012 wonder why?

No big deal if not. If I were the resorts though, I would offer the same thing at the end of this year for pass holders, but additionally I would accept passes from rival resorts, I've never really skied Perisher, but if I could get a pass of this price, vs just paying full price the following year at Thredbo, I would give PB a go
smile.gif

edit: Twas Perisher where I originally read it, though I'm sure Thredders was the same.. see https://www.ski.com.au/xf/posts/1636493

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Tree Breaker Bob

One of Us
Jul 19, 2006
Dalmeny South Coast NSW

I am sure I read the other day that CPV tested their new snowmaking ability and now they are giving a snow
guarantee that the triple chair to mid station will be operational as well as the magic carpets or you can change
your booking dates from five days before you arrive to another time during 2012 season

Tree Breaker Bob

One of Us
Jul 19, 2006
Dalmeny South Coast NSW

Our lodge is full the week we are going in Aug, but either side of that week there is plenty of
vacancies

Deserter Dave won't be there as he bought a Thredbo pass

I hope the season is good though I think Kevin deserves a chance as he continues to spend money on CPV
even though there can't be much profit (if any) there. We would all be richer if not for the snow and its activities

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009

Tree Breaker Bob said:
.....Deserter Dave won't be there as he bought a Thredbo pass

One of the things that has put me off CP in the past, was the absolute waste of resources (and the inherent danger) of putting a huge snowboard jump right beside the beginner poma (a spot that in the past was reserved for a kids fun / baby skier x course) This recent article in the Denver post reminded me of the folly of marketing to snowboarders at the expense of your skiers.

http://goo.gl/5y3ff

Edit 1: And before the flames start, I am a snowboarder
smile.gif

Edit 2: Still love the place, will always have a soft spot for it...

Dusty B

One of Us
Jun 29, 2006
Shire

Returning to CP this year. The fam (me, Mrs, kids 5 and 3 and my parents). Booked for second week of Aug. All excited but quietly concerned about the regular problem of the last few years....oversnow.

Angus_McCrory

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2005
Lurking

Dusty B, I think you'll find managemenbt has been working hard to fix the problems there. Basically they have been listeing. Only thing is the Mattrack equiped oversnow vehicles do have a problem when we have #$@! and the road turns to slush.

Reactions: Sago

Ian

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 2, 2002
Queanbeyan

No rest for the wicked!

All I get is "when are we going?",
How long before...?",
And "Will there be snow?..."
I always reply "This year will be HUGE!..." (blushing bride slowly shakes head)

The mercenary side of me says I hope there is no one there like last year,

but the economic rationalist says I hope Kev makes a killing so he can afford to:

1. Drain and seal the roads
(isn't this the responsibility of the municipal services NPWS?)
2. Snowmaking over Guthries rocks
3. Heated Guthries Snowcam looking back to the Chalet
4. Another chair up to Stillwell
5. Reindeer sleigh oversnow (the ABC will go apoplectic)

kiter

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 21, 2002
Newcastle

Nidecker said:
Tree Breaker Bob said:
.....Deserter Dave won't be there as he bought a Thredbo pass

One of the things that has put me off CP in the past, was the absolute waste of resources (and the inherent danger) of putting a huge snowboard jump right beside the beginner poma (a spot that in the past was reserved for a kids fun / baby skier x course) This recent article in the Denver post reminded me of the folly of marketing to snowboarders at the expense of your skiers.

http://goo.gl/5y3ff

Edit 1: And before the flames start, I am a snowboarder
smile.gif

Edit 2: Still love the place, will always have a soft spot for it...

Is it any wonder snowboard rnumbers have dropped .Snowboarding sucks and sucks even more on Australias shit snow conditions .Why anyone suffers through it is beyond me ;-) (Flame away vermin!!)

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009

kiter said:
Is it any wonder snowboard rnumbers have dropped .Snowboarding sucks and sucks even more on Australias shit snow conditions .Why anyone suffers through it is beyond me ;-) (Flame away vermin!!)

Funny
smile.gif
Hey have they put up any snow fences yet at CP? they forgot / couldn't be bothered the last couple of years?

Sago

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jun 29, 2001
Corunna Lake. NSW

I would hope they would use snow fences,but I am not sure they would know where to put them.
Bottom of the T and Guthries would be a good start.
Also would of liked to see snow snowmaking by now we'll at least if they could build a few mounds why the frost's have been so good.makes the webcams look better at least.
Craig used to build some great waves that really set them up for the beginners area.
Sago

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009

Sago said:
I would hope they would use snow fences,but I am not sure they would know where to put them.
Bottom of the T and Guthries would be a good start.
Also would of liked to see snow snowmaking by now we'll at least if they could build a few mounds why the frost's have been so good.makes the webcams look better at least.
Craig used to build some great waves that really set them up for the beginners area.
Sago

Yep perception.... in marketing, it helps
smile.gif
I understand there is this great bloke up in one of the lodges, who has been there a long time, who could help with snow fence position. I think he posts here under the name "rice pudding" ??
laugh.gif

rocketboy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 9, 2010
Gerroa

Sadly day trips only this year - but looking forward to queuing up for the Gutheries High Speed Poma. Na that was a bad joke - if you see the queue blowing out you cut across to the T-Bar through the rock garden and try again later. Should be a stunning opening weekend if it keeps snowing all this week with more to follow - those cut price opening weekend specials at the Chalet look very tempting - but if there is serious snow they should do everything to make sure the Chair is open to the top.

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009

How are those snow fences coming along
smile.gif

Hey, have they prepared the entry area to the chairlift with some plastic / steel / timber or something? I looks like steel mesh on the cam, but I'm assuming its to hold the snow there? maybe?

PS Sorry Bob, missed your call, and missed the movie, how was it?

PPS Thx Sago, but I could never offend my lodge managers... Now if they were not there anymore..........

Sago

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jun 29, 2001
Corunna Lake. NSW

Hi Nidecker,
Your lodge managers still there which is great.can't advise in regards to snow fences?
Chairs don't appear to be on yet so they could be the chairs you are seeing.
Sago.

Sago

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jun 29, 2001
Corunna Lake. NSW

Snowmaking has now commenced for the year.Hopefully it's not just testing.
great to see the opportunity taken while temps are cold.Will look forward to seeing a couple healthy mounds being made over the next few nights.Should set up Chair and basin poma for the start in a few weeks.Hopefully chair entry gets a good couple nights with snow machine this year also,as well as base of TBar.
Gone a bit quiet on this thread.Anyone got any news??
Sago

Angus_McCrory

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2005
Lurking

Hmmm Douglas Adams suggested that nothing travels faster than bad news.... so as we have heard nothng to the contrary, I'll assume everyhting is good.

Sago, give my regards to the lovely couple in charge of my lodge at tell them I'll see them in about 6 weeks (though they may already have the guest lists).

Sago

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jun 29, 2001
Corunna Lake. NSW

Taxman,
They have,he is a keen follower of these threads.
Great to see opportunity taken with these cold nights.Not much snowmaking done last year so they can see the beneifts of building up a few of the key area's.
Sago

Polaris

One of Us
Mar 19, 2003

Your new snowmaker Didj will put everything humanely possible into it and with a huge smile on his dial too. He's a freaking legend

Ian

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 2, 2002
Queanbeyan

Good to see the machinery assembled this afternoon.

As Sago said The 'mesh' was the lift chairs, they're all up on the cables now.

Desperately needs a top-up, wouldn't take much rian to look like todays Selwyn...

elim

First Runs
Mar 29, 2007

hi everyone, instead of starting a new thread I thought I'd post in the most active thread this year.

I have spent the last 5-6 years at perisher but this year I'm thinking for a change of scenery, I would like to spend a day at charlottes.

I would like to know what to expect here, how are the crowds (numbers, not personalities, hehe) ? terrain ? snow conditions compared to perisher (I'm not sure on the terrain environment so I'm not sure if they will have the same conditions as Perisher)? trails ?

Is it worth spending a day at charlottes ?

Thanks.

randomlyred

First Runs
Dec 31, 2011

This might sound dumb, but how does one get up to charlottes for a day trip? Is it expensive?

Tree Breaker Bob

One of Us
Jul 19, 2006
Dalmeny South Coast NSW

You book a day tripper with CPVillage you get a day ticket your trip up and back and lunch for $95 this year I think, it will be on their web site

You have to book early as spaces on the oversnow are limited

Last year on a Tuesday you paid full price for one and $1 extra for another person, do not know if that will be the case for this year

Tree Breaker Bob

One of Us
Jul 19, 2006
Dalmeny South Coast NSW

I heard that CPV have bought ($) back the old transport cats, (they sold them on when they introduced the mattrack trucks) the ones that held about 12 people as back up for oversnow problems only thing is that they are requiring some work to get up to scratch

Angus_McCrory

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2005
Lurking

Would make sense as a back up for when it gets sticky.... The Mattrack trucks are comfortable but can't handle porridge.

Rebuild the sleds and tow beind a groomer?

Angus_McCrory

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2005
Lurking

What was the sponsorship on the old sleds? Carlton Cold or something...... before I started going to CP we used to joke about the big esky towed behind the oversnow.

Tree Breaker Bob

One of Us
Jul 19, 2006
Dalmeny South Coast NSW

If we get predicted snow falls this week end and next week (see weather forums) I wonder what lifts CPV will get running for their opening, as I'am keen to try my season pass out and check out the coffee venues

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009

Tree Breaker Bob said:
If we get predicted snow falls this week end and next week (see weather forums) I wonder what lifts CPV will get running for their opening, as I'am keen to try my season pass out and check out the coffee venues

Season pass ?? So you have one for CP and one for PB? Man you must be rich, guess the economy isn't as bad as they say it is
smile.gif
Have fun I envy you.

rocketboy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 9, 2010
Gerroa

When you are earning a million dollars a year as the world's highest paid central bank it's not surprising Glenn Stevens thinks the economy is doing well - from his perspective it's going gang busters and with the dollar so high he's living the good life with luxury goods cheaper than ever .... just saying ...

Meanwhile, here's hoping they get the Chair going to top station for opening weekend. With a bit of careful grooming they could have opened last year and with more snow this weekend and next week they really should give it a go.

And better yet offer 40/20 dollar daytripper tickets for adults and kids - without lunch. Positive word of mouth reports is marketing gold - and CPV needs plenty of it.

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009

Hey Bob, here is some video of Bella skiing on Sunday

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hdPdn55Vvw4"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hdPdn55Vvw4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass