Charlotte Pass 2012 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

elim

First Runs
Mar 29, 2007
Re: Charlotte Pass 2012

Apologies for my lack of understanding but what does the the "POMA" lift at CP look like? Anyone have a pic of what it looks like ?

BobGnarly

One of Us
Feb 23, 2012
Nagano

google image search poma lift and there are heaps of pics. Its like a t bar that goes between your legs

Sago

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jun 29, 2001
Corunna Lake. NSW

From my observation this is the best pre season mountain prep the resort has done in regards to snowmaking,snow fence's and mountain packing since Kevin took over.The mountain team has really found their way.
From what I can see chair and T will be in operation by the weekend.With the predicted falls Guthries won't be far behind.great week ahead for incoming guest's

Ian

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 2, 2002
Queanbeyan

This will be great for the school holiday regulars. Should make up for the recent poor snow years.

Sago

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jun 29, 2001
Corunna Lake. NSW

Bottom of t has it's own snow making machine.not a blower but the arm that was near the carpet last year.they have managed to build a fair bit of snow at the base.
Have had up to 6 guns running at once .snowmaking also up to mid station and just slightly above.
Wiggle are you laying low this year??
When are you heading down??
Hasn't snowed yet but will keep posted.temps are cold enough o ATM .
Tree BB are you down this week end??.
Sago

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

rocketboy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 9, 2010
Gerroa

Good to see Sago is back on the snow with "live reports" from Charlotte's - we should be in CP later next week if the Chair is running to the top - or the week after in the main school holiday period when we can't take anymore of the crowds at PV.

Hopefully this next snow period will bump up the coverage to enable the Chair to be fully opened. But more importantly it's whether the runs are properly groomed each day. That's what made many days last year disappointing.

Sago

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jun 29, 2001
Corunna Lake. NSW

Snow now has really set in so fingers crossed Both T and chair(subject to wind) will be open by the weekend.base currently there assisted by great snowmaking will see best start since 04,05.Bring on Guthries next week.maybe a being a little premature,here's hoping.

toxicfox

Addicted
Aug 15, 2010

Hey Sago, can you go down to Stilwell and clear the airlan camera for those of us not at CPV
mad.gif
I'm computer bound and cant see the hill. Might have to get down mid July (first time in 3 years), but really want to see Spencers Creek depth over 1m
woohoo.gif
come on snow !!!
Posting a pic facing Guthries would be a really nice thing to do
beer.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Sago

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jun 29, 2001
Corunna Lake. NSW

Hi again toxic,
Go to airlan.com.au.
They have webcam facing Guthries.again will have to climb on Snowbird to clear cam.let's just say there are far fewer rocks than yesterday.T I am sure will open tomorrow,chair going to top already although they advise advanced riders only.they need to be congratulated for the pre season work done to get chair open.
Right of T looks good also.
Sago

toxicfox

Addicted
Aug 15, 2010

Sago said:
Toxic,
When you come be sure you drop in for a brew.
Sago
I shall start practicing
beer.gif
but I will never keep up with my friends that stay with you. Are any of them booked in ?
All 3 airlan cams have been puked on. Everyone must be too busy in the fresh to be bothered clearing them. Mocko's probably got the cleaning contract for them. Give him a shout.

Tree Breaker Bob

One of Us
Jul 19, 2006
Dalmeny South Coast NSW

Tree BB are you down this week end??.
Sago
[/quote]

Yep sunday for a few days

can't resist the idea of fresh tracks

Looking forward to tuesday, that's when the weather is supposed to clear up

Due to the expected crowds I don't think we will miss each other

Sago

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jun 29, 2001
Corunna Lake. NSW

Great to catch up TBB.
Nice few runs we did.looks like more terrain opening tomorrow with groomers hard at work this afternoon and evening.
Great start to season.Another 30-50cms should really set up the mountain for the year.great to see snowmaking still continuing and another machine has been added yesterday.Not sure if tested yet.
Sago

Sago

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jun 29, 2001
Corunna Lake. NSW

Snow quality last couple days was superb snow looks like same for the week.great time of year ATM if base is here like it is this year.July looks as thou it could well be a memorable one.
Sago

Tree Breaker Bob

One of Us
Jul 19, 2006
Dalmeny South Coast NSW

Good to see u and have those runs Sago, keep ur head down

Looks like some good skiing coming up this weekend, good to see the rocks covered by snowmaking near the base of beginners poma, the snowmaking team seem to be on the ball this year, great work

I reckon that Gutheries will be open next week after these snowfalls and the effort from groomers and management in realising that once that opens people are more likely to book in

Great work Kevin in keeping the faith. The last couple of years must have been hard

Reactions: Sago

toxicfox

Addicted
Aug 15, 2010

Looking good for 11'zs. Travelling light this year so might try dinner as well. Any recommendations around the village. Anyone eaten at The Chalet ? Might have to go dish pig in exchange for a meal at some of the lodges.

Fingers crossed for the next system.

ClanMan

First Runs
Aug 7, 2009
Sydney NSW

TBB - The Clan is down for the week starting Aug 4th. I think you are going the following week. Probably see you crossing over at the lodge - especially if you go by private oversnow again
thumbsup.gif

Sago

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jun 29, 2001
Corunna Lake. NSW

Hi TBB,
Opened today around 11.00am for the 1st time.
Snow quality is as good as it gets.I christianed your chute the one I stuffed up before for you.had a chuckle when I did it.
Well I will let you do it 1st next time you are up here.
I can't remember it opening this early before(Guthries).Full credit to mountain staff for their efforts.
Sago

Angus_McCrory

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2005
Lurking

Shhhh.... Gutheries chutes are a myth, they don't exist.... nothing to see here folks so move right along.

Sago

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jun 29, 2001
Corunna Lake. NSW

Hi Taxman ,
Not the one your thinking.
They are still rocky.Strong southerly winds have stripped them a little.saying that still very skiable.back bowls down to Kosi Rd already been christened by someone.they have copped a heap from the winds.Spencer hydro area great cover.
We may also see 1.2-1.3 metre mark at the next reading Thurs.
See you in a month.bring your tourers.BC looks superb ATM.
Sago

Sago

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jun 29, 2001
Corunna Lake. NSW

Weather has closed in again this afternoon with more snow falling.
Steady for the last half hour.dusting received at this stage.

Angus_McCrory

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2005
Lurking

Will do.... just being fitted with some Dynafiddle gear so planning on some slightly longer day trips this year.

Angus_McCrory

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2005
Lurking

Lockers..... might have them in the Chalet (near the shop)... security never been an issue at CP for me.... never lock skis, happy to leave backpack (if out with it) by lift. Guthega used to be like that as well when it was stand alone. And haven't trusted the punters at Perisher or Thredbo for a long long time... after a couple of us had skis stolen back in 1980.

asammut_au

Hard Yards
Apr 2, 2008

They had lockers when I went a couple of years ago but they weren't working properly at the time. They took our money but wouldn't open. From memory they were next to the Chalet. Hopefully they are fixed now!

rocketboy

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 9, 2010
Gerroa

We spent a day at CP this week. Best it's been since we started coming back in 2007. All the lifts were spinning - all the runs were groomed, plenty of chaos at lunch in the Koshi Bistro (go early or splurged or eat at Stilwell.

Chalet was full, but the lodges seemed half empty. Not sure - but seemed very quiet on the slopes. No queues beyond an occasional ski lesson group or the usual basin poma crowd.

Top of the World was open all the way down the road to Gutheries. But it needs to have the lower section opened and groomed on the small run up down from top station.

You can't have the beginners struggling up around the right side of the trees. Re cut it to the left of the tree as it usually is.

After another snow fall all the lumps can be ironed out with another full groom but it's way better than last year.

It still is the best on snow resort in Australia. And chances are we'll get discounted Season Passes for 2013 in addition to our Freedom Passes for Perisher.

The isolation and crowd free environment is just such a nice way to spend time at the snow in Australia.

Tree Breaker Bob

One of Us
Jul 19, 2006
Dalmeny South Coast NSW

Yes u certainly have to carry plenty of speed to make it around that tree which is difficult with beginners struggling there, there has been a bit of growth on the lower side where the track normally goes, that definitely needs to be brought under control before it gets to large

If Kevin offers the CPV passes again while Perisher and Thredbo do at the end of the season I would probably only buy the Charlotte one but if he waits then again people will buy the others and hey presto empty lodges as that is what has effected our lodge (bigger bookings elsewhere)

There is not many of us who have multiple passes

toxicfox

Addicted
Aug 15, 2010

Hi Sago, how things been going for School Hols. First guests for the year at our lodge this week, moved in today. Whats the word on the system arriving Wednesday (in the CPV context anyway) fingers crossed.
I've heard the Tafe Teacher down the hill from you was impressed by the efforts so far !! I Know, I was shocked to hear that too.
Anyone got any food reports? Heard my buddy from Byron Bay is understaffed for dish hands at the moment. Been working hard. May have to wash up for dinner one night.
Booked transport (which still annoys me) I think it was organised kaos in the old days but you got in just the same, perhaps quicker. With 15+ hours of driving its not easy to determine when you will arrive at PV. I found it easier dealing with 3 flights and a bus to SunPeaks in 36hrs than CPV transport the last few times I visited.
Once you are in the Lodge and have a beer in front of the fire all that is forgotten - until you have to leave.

Sago

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jun 29, 2001
Corunna Lake. NSW

Hi Toxic,
Did notice your lodge looking very quiet the last few weeks.I must come and check it out when you are down.It would be years since I have been in there.
I sure most lodges would be glad to offer meal for some help around the place,in regards to transport I am at the oppinion that the resort is trying to become more organised in the movement of everyone.yes it was organised kaos a few years ago but at least now people plan their trip better(from Sydney difficult if travelling further a field)and you don't get 200 people waiting for transport at 10.00am.
No word on upcoming system but here's hoping doesn't do any damage to the amazing cover we have out there ATM.
Our altitude we should do Ok out of it.
Sago

Sago

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jun 29, 2001
Corunna Lake. NSW

FYI,
great fireworks display tonight put on by the village.The applause following showed the appreciation.
Snow making continuing at every opp also.
Great feel about the village this year so well worth a visit.
Fingers crossed this week with the precipitation forecast.
Grooming has also been exceptional.Need a touch more snow to expand it further.
Sago

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding

Sago said:
......Great feel about the village this year so well worth a visit........

Hi All,

Its great to hear this, seems like things are falling into place, hope the owner understands that next years (hopefully) good bookings are the result of this years hard work by his village staff!

Changing the topic a little, but I have to show off Bellas results in the interschools regionals at Thredbo last week. She was 14th on a slow SkierX course, which seemed to favour the heavier/stronger /older girls but she was 5th in the Alpine, on a quite fast/icy Rossignol#1 race course. (One young boy broke his leg in the race just before hers) Lots of mums pulling kids out of the race for their second run following this.

Anyway she has qualified for the State Champs in August, she is very proud of herself, as is her father.

Mainly posting here, because Charlotte Pass, the staff and lodge managers, Sago and our friends at SASC CP, have been a big influence on Bellas snow experiences over the last couple of years.

The instructors at CP have clearly provided a solid foundation for Bella, whilst always keeping lessons fun!

edit: we had to laugh, she told us last night that she saw the hotshots photographer taking pics while she was racing, so she smiled for him!

BellaGateweb.jpg

BellaGate2web.jpg

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nOiVoq9RRzI"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nOiVoq9RRzI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Tree Breaker Bob

One of Us
Jul 19, 2006
Dalmeny South Coast NSW

Great outfit Bella, nice looking skis too and definitely winning style

Now know why your dad isn't dual passed as I am

Last time went to CPV the first $8 the wife and I spent was having coffee at Stillwell in the morning, the season passes certainly cut the costs down

I'm on 7 days at the moment I suppose you are near 10-12

Tree Breaker Bob

One of Us
Jul 19, 2006
Dalmeny South Coast NSW

Maybe on a tuesday when CPV has the day tripper buy one get another for just two dollars you might drive to perisher and come up for the day 11th - 18th aug

Com'on you know u want to

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009

Tree Breaker Bob said:
Maybe on a tuesday when CPV has the day tripper buy one get another for just two dollars you might drive to perisher and come up for the day 11th - 18th aug

Com'on you know u want to

Thats a good plan
smile.gif

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009

gareth_oau said:
Nidecker - congrats to Bella, she looks brilliant!
I hope I'm that good when I'm her age!

Hey thanks for that Gareth, it's my wish too!
smile.gif

I'm originally from WA, I often look at your posts and those of Ladymammabears, and reminisce about growing up in Perth, (but the lack of proximity to the snow, I mean really what were they thinking when they built that place.)

They need to find a place on the Stirling Ranges to dump all the iron ore tailings, build a mountain about 3000meters high, that would solve the problem
smile.gif

my avatar pic was taken at a place called &quot;The Gallows&quot; due west of Cullens winery in the marg river region
smile.gif

Sago

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jun 29, 2001
Corunna Lake. NSW

Nidecker,
Going to look out for Bella's name in the news in the years ahead.Show's great form this early.Like the dual edge.Outfit fantastic.
May see you on a Tuesday,great deal for anyone that has never been to CP.Would need to book early though
Sago

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass