Snow Report Charlotte Pass 2014 - Trip Reports,Pics & Conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angus_McCrory

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2005
Lurking
And Fawlty Towers management strikes again....... go to book oversnow...... can't find return ticket.... I must be on your system…. but I can’t book you without your ticket.... okay I have a lift pass valid for tomorrow which I can redeem for a return trip to Perisher..... I don't know about that I need to speak with my manager..... FFS, well I will just pay for another ticket and bitch to Kevin and get my refund later...... here's your free oversnow ticket........

Well someone was telling porkies and it wasnt a free ticket as I have effectively paid for it twice..... I need to get myself a skidoo so I can have even less to do with CP operations.......

Tree Breaker Bob

One of Us
Jul 19, 2006
Dalmeny South Coast NSW
Angus

You've just been up there the last five days and your bitching, HA!! you could've been at work like I am

Does money mean anything under these conditions

When taking photos please don't get the lift line queues in your shot, after all there is nothing to see here ;)

Bob

Rimey

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 28, 2010
The modest end of the Great Divide
Rimey under wailers ... Nice work, Angus
P7135112A_zps0b1c84c2.jpg

Reactions: Fozzie Bear

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
Awesome pics, you can see the pucker factor on SB's Sentinel approach quite well. I stopped there once with a ski each side, and sucked up the exposure until it made me feel all squiggly.

You didn't drop a chute at CL? Can see some weird runnels, like spring in the photo, what was the snow like?

Angus_McCrory

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2005
Lurking
.... You didn't drop a chute at CL? Can see some weird runnels, like spring in the photo, what was the snow like?

I looked very closely at CL and decided caution was the order of the day, especially after releasing a large sluff on Foxhole the previous day..... And my right leg (hammy repair) went spaz on me on the way back so I could do lovely right turns but had to do snowplough turns to the left......

Snow was a mixed bag. Lots of dust on breakable crust, lots of wind scouring and pockets of bliss. The run back from Carruthers was mostly pretty good.

Last edited:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

MrPoopypants

Hard Yards
Mar 16, 2012
Thirroul, NSW
Hey Angus!! Great to catch up with you this week. Good to see those snowboards attached to your feet make it up Carruthers without ripping your hamstring off again!
Feral Fox needs to get out there. Enough with the "got to go to work" stuff. Damned jihadists ...
:)

Hope your op goes okay. Drop me a PM with your details and I'll get in touch.
Mangey Fox - get yourself back down there Fri!!! You know you want it ...
(Appointment with the magician to fix my knee in the morning)

Cheers and thanks for the beers, and skiing, and beers ... and ... beers.

MrPP

Angus_McCrory

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2005
Lurking
MrPoopy... was great to meet and ski together... and in the words of the mangy fox guy, between the two of us there are probably enough functioning body parts to create one decent skier.

Hopefully op is out the way ASAP so I can get down again before the season ends :thumbs:

toxicfox

Addicted
Aug 15, 2010
MrPoopy... was great to meet and ski together... and in the words of the mangy fox guy, between the two of us there are probably enough functioning body parts to create one decent skier.

Hopefully op is out the way ASAP so I can get down again before the season ends :thumbs:
I told the boss I was quitting my job as a full time carers position had opened up in CP looking after you and MrPP. She said to forget it, I have to build a new deck and repaint the house first. Then a bathroom and kitchen reno. Hope to get back before the season ends. When is that ??

MrPoopypants

Hard Yards
Mar 16, 2012
Thirroul, NSW
I told the boss I was quitting my job as a full time carers position had opened up in CP looking after you and MrPP. She said to forget it, I have to build a new deck and repaint the house first. Then a bathroom and kitchen reno. Hope to get back before the season ends. When is that ??
Sly dog!!
We'll be skiing till February!
Hey, when that bathroom reno is done, there's a house down south ...
Actually, I kind of like the idea of you nursing me back to knee health in the bar! Tele crew today. Good fun. Knee improving (must be the fear of Nurse Ratchet coming down). Sun and snow. Off to the bar ...
(Okay, I'll stop rubbing it in, now - did I mention the bar?)

:)
G.

Angus_McCrory

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2005
Lurking
@pangari Was open at random times when I was there just over a week ago. As it faces away from the main piste look out for flags being up at middle station. And the coffee and hot chocs were good.

pangari

Hard Yards
May 6, 2010
@pangari Was open at random times when I was there just over a week ago. As it faces away from the main piste look out for flags being up at middle station. And the coffee and hot chocs were good.

Will try it out in a couple of weeks. Now if we can get a mountain toilet. The one there is often snowed in and inaccessible. I have never seen it open in nearly 10 years.

Angus_McCrory

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2005
Lurking
There is a mountain toilet, its called The Chalet......... and virtually every lodge is ski-in ski-out, so i don't see that as an issue.

Reactions: Sago

jrr

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 20, 2002
Haberfield, Sydney
Mountain toilet ???? Really ?

I'm with the discreet tree brigade and it's 10 minutes tops from anywhere to the downstairs can in the Chalet if that's what you need.

Don't eat the yellow snow.

Reactions: Angus_McCrory

Angus_McCrory

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2005
Lurking
Mountain toilet ???? Really ?

I'm with the discreet tree brigade and it's 10 minutes tops from anywhere to the downstairs can in the Chalet if that's what you need.

Don't eat the yellow snow.
10 minutes o_O You are doing it wrong if it takes that long...... okay, maybe from Guthries, ski across to Pulpit T and then down to Chalet. For the rest, a minute.

Reactions: Sago

jrr

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 20, 2002
Haberfield, Sydney
Quite. Initially I put 5 minutes. That was based on being at the bottom of the chair, at lunchtime running at half speed, and suddenly having an uncontrollable urge... then I figured this could happen at the bottom of Guthries with a large group lesson pushed in and the 'T' stopping for 3 minutes as a beginner falls off on their first run up it taking out 3 pairs down stream ;-)
Otherwise, one minute...

toxicfox

Addicted
Aug 15, 2010
Call them at the Jindabyne office in the morning. 6457 1555 The girls in the office there are always nice to speak with. I couldn't see anywhere on the website where the timetable link was obvious ?

jrr

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 20, 2002
Haberfield, Sydney
Also, you have to pre-book a time otherwise you risk a long wait at the Perisher terminal. I preferred the old system where it was first in, best dressed, but the current method does give you some certainty...

Ziggy

A Local
Aug 24, 2003
Good (hard) cover + a few cm of fresh + cold = hero snow :woohoo: Five telemarkers out today.

Angus_McCrory

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2005
Lurking
My home away from home. Great dinking around over the back Stillwell and Foxhole, easy access to the Main Range and if feeling lazy just do the trees behind the village or hike up Guthries. Glad you are enjoying :D

Ziggy

A Local
Aug 24, 2003
Cracked Kosi on the 3rd attempt yesterday. Bluebird day, limitless views.

Went up via Mueller's Pass. Back via the walking track. The surface up high wasn't brilliant.

Will post some pics in BC TRs when back home.

Ziggy

A Local
Aug 24, 2003
I'm seeking the timetable for CP oversnow

It should be right here > http://www.charlottepass.com.au/oversnow-timetable.html

A few visits to that page to recently, but alas each time there wasn't any timetable.

Google hasn't given me useful options.

Bugger.

Don't think it's published. You have to call. Helps keep the bogans out acc to AngusM. Though I saw a couple of boarders sucking on stubbies waiting for the over-snow at 9am on Monday.

Tree Breaker Bob

One of Us
Jul 19, 2006
Dalmeny South Coast NSW
snowed all day up here, just a bit heavy but pretty good off Guthries and Kangaroo ridge, pity about the visibility up high

Gave the bowls a run just before lunch Sago but you couldn't see at all, Mat managed to pull off a sensational save after hitting drift he didn't see coming

Glad you're not here one less to trash the bowls ROFL

Bob

Sago

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jun 29, 2001
Corunna Lake. NSW
Always next year Bob, Can't let you have them to yourself.Would be good to do some turns with you again that's for sure.
Contemplating return next season but need to sell out of this Business first.It is on the market so will be looking for work next year.Will have to wait also to see if any lodges come up. Will start to put some feelers out shortly.
Have you got any photo's to post?
You will be hard to beat Angus's photos from his trip.
S

Ziggy

A Local
Aug 24, 2003
Some folk wanted to hear more about my time at CP and I've posted about my BC trips here: https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/day-trips-on-the-mr.67556/

Thanks to the locals for making my time at Charlotte's memorable. Nature helped of course but folk were friendly and relaxed and I had some great conversations about skiing present and past. And the odds on encountering two telemarking Alex's ... :clap:

Tree Breaker Bob

One of Us
Jul 19, 2006
Dalmeny South Coast NSW
No sorry no photos

A shame Monday dampened the snow and with overnight freezes Kangaroo Ridge and in the back way is good from lunch time till about 2.30. Guthries is not softening at all, or the bowls.

Would be nice if grooming was more extensive due to conditions (both sides of Guthries and some extra runs off the the chair + maybe a line down past Pulpit rock) after all this is the money spinning month, why would you disappoint your patrons by limiting the runs and risk upsetting them

Bob

PS Great work Chris on getting the chair back in operation quickly

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi

As usual, CP was awesome on Sat. Twin Valleys does it for us again, the pitch, the length, the ease of access, the ruins and you make it back in time for a BBQ lunch and a few resort runs, love it.
And then you come back to Perisher and see the tragedy it is (more peeps on Eyre Tbar than the whole of CP resort and cheaper), but lets just keep it quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass