Charlotte Pass Lease Renewal thread

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
I'm not sure that I understand what you mean. It sounds as though you are describing a Thredbo style head lease/sub-lease system, which does not require Torrens title.
Yes something like that but instead of a sub lease for the lodges Torrens Title for the lodges. It is not based on anything but my thoughts on how you could have a combination of lease and Torrens Title. It might reduce the opportunity for abuse of power that currently exists with the Thredbo situation.

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.
Yes something like that but instead of a sub lease for the lodges Torrens Title for the lodges. It is not based on anything but my thoughts on how you could have a combination of lease and Torrens Title. It might reduce the opportunity for abuse of power that currently exists with the Thredbo situation.
You can always lease Torrens land :confused:. In any scheme, whoever runs the lifts and Chalet will have disproportionate power on anything resembling a body corporate.

And if you think Thredbo is abusing power now you should have been around in the good old days before the Trade Practices Act made them pull their head in.

toxicfox

Addicted
Aug 15, 2010
Dear Charlotte Pass Sub-lessees

As notified on 12 October 2017, the parties to a head lease for Charlotte Pass Village have arrived at agreed terms that are now subject to final government approval.

We are doing everything we can to ensure the head lease is finally approved as soon as possible and no later than 30 October 2017.

The formal documentation to enable extensions of sub-leases will be forwarded in the near future once final government approval has occurred. It is recommended that the executive of each club be in a position to respond quickly to the offer of an extension (subject to approval) in the coming days.

We hope to provide you with a further update in the very near future.

Regards

Resort Consultation

asammut_au

Hard Yards
Apr 2, 2008
From fb:
LONG TERM FUTURE OF CHARLOTTE PASS SECURED

Charlotte Pass Village Pty Ltd (CPV) today announced that following the conclusion of the NSW Government’s Management Review & Market Engagement process, it has been successful in obtaining a new long-term Head Lease for Charlotte Pass.

CPV and the NSW Government have entered into an Agreement For Lease for Charlotte Pass, with the new Head Lease to take effect from 1 May 2018. The new Head Lease is for a term of 40 years and 6 months.

The current Head Lease has been extended by six months, to enable a survey to be conducted of the Head Lease and sub-lease areas. CPV and the NSW Government have also agreed to extend the current Sub-Leases by a period of six months, to enable CPV to offer a new Sub-Lease to all existing Sub-Lessees.

Kevin Blyton, Chairman of the Blyton Group said “I’m very pleased that the long-term future of Charlotte Pass has been secured. Charlotte Pass is an incredibly unique part of the Australian Snow Industry and my group has made a significant commitment to further develop and grow Charlotte Pass into the future.”

kiter

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 21, 2002
Newcastle
Ok good news . So what's in the pipeline ? Open the chalet in summer hols with bike hire and special events ? How about the chair at Cooma airport install it and get it going up stillwell ? That would be good .

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Our club, Southern Alps Ski Club, has now finalised and signed the sub lease for the next 40 years. Completed at the end of April. Good outcome. Now to get some certainty around Perisher.
congratulations. must be a huge relief
and good luck with Perisher

Reactions: SMSkier
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Xwing

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 22, 2016
National Parks hit them up for road improvements and some lodges were asked for the likes of $120K. Apparently a number have walked away and so their lease passes onto the head lease holder. I am only using conversation I heard at Easter on this so the accuracy may be lacking.

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.
That a shame
Directors of companies can get into a lot of trouble if they trade while insolvent (not being able to pay the company debts when they fall due). If they were facing a big payout as part of the renewal (guess - no knowledge) they were between a rock and a hard place. There may be plans to have a Deed of Company Arrangement (what the Yanks call bankruptcy protection) to pull it back from the brink, but that is pure speculation.

SkiMountaineer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 8, 2012
Newcastle NSW
@Xwing From what I heard, the lease was onerous, uncapped outgoings, and Kevin refused to negotiate. All sub leases that were walked away from Kevin takes over. Not sure about $120k/annum. Pretty sure Stillwell were the only ones not to sign.

Nozawaman

A Local
Nov 7, 2002
Gold Coast/Nozawa Onsen
www.sasa-nozawa.com
A similar scenario played out in the late 80's . Michael Stenning had turned The Chalet around after buying it from CPV , and was in the process of doing major upgrades when CPV hit him with a big contribution fee for road upgrades . Being unable to pay CPV took it back then ran it in to the ground again .
I don't know if this is part of Kevin's plan , but could be a way of adding more beds for the Chalet (sort of) .

Tree Breaker Bob

One of Us
Jul 19, 2006
Dalmeny South Coast NSW
One of the things I like about CP is morning tea at Stillwell especially after a snowfall and I have been out since first lifts and gone tropo for a couple of hours. I hope it opens, maybe Sago's keen

Our newsletter also said Kevin was the only one who tendered for the whole process, what a colossal waste of taxpayers money with the fiasco that was "The Perisher Main Range Draft Plan"

Bob

Reactions: Sago

SkiMountaineer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 8, 2012
Newcastle NSW
A similar scenario played out in the late 80's . Michael Stenning had turned The Chalet around after buying it from CPV , and was in the process of doing major upgrades when CPV hit him with a big contribution fee for road upgrades . Being unable to pay CPV took it back then ran it in to the ground again .
I don't know if this is part of Kevin's plan , but could be a way of adding more beds for the Chalet (sort of) .
I'm not sure that's Kevin's plan. In fact, the more beds he takes on, the more liability under the lease he takes on. He already has Lucy's, now Stillwell. It doesn't make sense.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
National Parks hit them up for road improvements and some lodges were asked for the likes of $120K. Apparently a number have walked away and so their lease passes onto the head lease holder. I am only using conversation I heard at Easter on this so the accuracy may be lacking.

How about this little gem for a novelty: that State Govt / Parks provide a decent road into the resort 'before' the head lease is determined. Then with a forty year lease, perhaps the onus is on lessee to maintain/upgrade?

Otherwise what a great way of sending lessees/small clubs to the wall. What a crock!

RIP small ski Cubs of Oz!!

Reactions: currawong

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
Thats complete bullshit. Kosciuszko Rd is a RMS road all the way to the CP turning circle.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
I note in the cities & towns public amenities are usually paid by the relevant tier of Govt.

But in the mtns (esp above snowline), its all duckshoved fown the chain to the leaseholders.

But then the various Govt. Bodies try to claim credit for their ‘investments’ & the jobs (& growth if you're LNP).

Perhaps a small nodd to the various operators might be in order - esp the ski clubs, food ops, ski jire & the like.

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
I note in the cities & towns public amenities are usually paid by the relevant tier of Govt.

But in the mtns (esp above snowline), its all duckshoved fown the chain to the leaseholders.

But then the various Govt. Bodies try to claim credit for their ‘investments’ & the jobs (& growth if you're LNP).

Perhaps a small nodd to the various operators might be in order - esp the ski clubs, food ops, ski jire & the like.
I don't think the road into CP is a public Rd. Same as in Thredbo, where the townside manager basically operates a small council - sewer, rubbish, roads.

Bogan Daddy

Hard Yards
May 26, 2018
So sad to see stillwell gone. We have been there the last 4 years. Nik taught the kids and adults to ski. We were going to sign up, but were asked to wait till their lease was worked through. We were worried when Nik and Katie left. The restaurant was really great. hope it gets up.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass