Charlotte Pass Road opening?

Burgo

Hard Yards
Apr 9, 2009
Newcastle
Anyone have any intel on when the road from Perisher to Charlottes might open, at least to Spencers Ck? Anyone seen cars driving up to Perisher Gap?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

MrPoopypants

Hard Yards
Mar 16, 2012
Thirroul, NSW
I asked the office manager last sunday and they said the week before the long weekend, but given the amount of snow still up there it might take longer.
G.

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
Will depend on how long it takes CP, NPWS and PB to reduce the load to easy blowing depth for RMS's blowers. Or maybe parks are getting CP to do that bit, I forget. Lotsa snow up at the turning circle still.

BCMatt

First Runs
Dec 30, 2011
Melbourne
Hey all. Just spoke to RTA who stated that it'll be open on Monday unless new snow makes the road unsafe.
Here's hoping

agentBM

Part of the Furniture
Oct 27, 2000
Space..traveling through the vast non emptiness
....and check the dunny up there....particularly the guttering which is matched by half of what is on the NPWS office in Perisher. The gutter is an invention (patented) by a mate of mine. It is anti-icing and flexible.

CON08020014.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Fandango

Addicted
Aug 14, 2010
Just got word it's open to Spencer's Creek today, gates would still be locked up there for a while to discourage road jumpers a bit further up.

Fandango

Addicted
Aug 14, 2010
Naah they did it a few years ago too, heard from parks that they didn't want to encourage the road jumpers and wanted to make them walk up from Spencers, may be BS though
wink.gif

sbm

One of Us
Aug 2, 2010
Sydney
huckanddyno.wordpress.com
Hmmm. Normally I'm the one defending a slightly hardline NPWS policy...but if this is seriously a reason to keep the road shut? Talk about the actions of a few ruining it for the many!
frown.gif

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
You might find that CP lease may have a condition that the road is closed until after the long weekend. Just a guess, might be detailed in KNP Man Plan?

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
KNP scrub dunnies and check parking permits. That's it.

They have neither the skills or aptitude for much else.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
Oh no, I forgot. The rangers have appointed themselves as thredbo police and regularly throughout the season approach and harrass campers that they suspect are thredbo staff.

I had a ranger use his position to demand my ID, then passed it onto thredbo. It's ok, he won't do it again to me.

Nordic Skier

Hard Yards
Aug 26, 2008
Mount Beauty
CP turntable clearing completed today. Why did the RMS only open to Spencer's Creek? We await where the road is open to early tomorrow morning.

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
CP have exclusive right to the transport on the CP road until the end of the long weekend. This would be compromised by the road opening early, so it will never happen. This predates the handover of the road to RMS and would have been part of the hand over information from Parks to RMS.

Somewhere in the KNP Man Plan it talks about keeping CP an isolated village fairly specifically. So that and the commercial side of giving CP exclusive right to transport from Perisher to CP keeps this situation rolling on.

The early opening to Spencers Creek is a compromise within the above arrangements. And I suspect (really random guess) has it origins in someone in Parks wanting to go fish in Spencers Creek on the opening weekend of the fishing season. Or the trout fishing bodies successfully lobbying Parks for access to fish Spencers Creek on the opening weekend.

Burgo

Hard Yards
Apr 9, 2009
Newcastle
skifree said:
CP have exclusive right to the transport on the CP road until the end of the long weekend. This would be compromised by the road opening early, so it will never happen.

Maybe, but the CP Resort shut on 16 September so there has been no option for transport up the road for the last 10 days. IMO, the road should be cleared at least to Spencers Ck when the conditions allow (ie. some time in September). Authorities are happy spend big time on keeping the road clear all year to Perisher but won't run machines up to Spencers Ck in the last couple of weeks to give access to BC users. All Park users are paying the same park use fees.

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
From Kosciuszko National Park Alpine Resorts Winter Access

OEH said:
Charlotte Pass Village
As Charlotte Pass Village is snowbound in winter, only authorised oversnow vehicles will be permitted to access and park at Charlotte Pass Village. Access to this village for the general public using conventional wheeled vehicles (including 4WDs) during the winter period is at the discretion of Charlotte Pass Village Pty Ltd, in consultation with the RMS.

Seems like CP is the first place we should lobby. But CP closed on the 16th and work started on clearing the road on the next day.

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
The opening of the road is as noted above subject to CP approvals due to lease arrangements. This year that was granted, and an arrangement put in place that CP and PB, poss with NPWS assistance, would clear the depth to a level at which the RMS blower could operate. The depth reduction was substantially hampered by a heavily cemented ice layer, and additional snow. The aim was to have it opened for the LWE Sat, but it was not to be as nature sometimes intervenes.

There was a substantial (poss six figure) cost assosciated with this opening attempt due to the depth and extent of this years snowfall. Good problem to have I guess. Opening to Spencers is the 'stopgap' before it can be opened to the circle. One of the issues with a partial opening is the lack of park and turnaround areas in safe places. A partial opening between Spencers and the fully open circle can be dangerous and harder to manage due to these issues. People doing three pointers in blind corners, and such. Road managers have a responsibility to not make a relatively iffy situation worse by a partial opening, for better or for worse.

All in all the will and cooperation was there between four different companies and agencies, but as happens with dealing with the natural world, reality intervened.

No conspiracies, no bad will, just challenges.

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
So we really just need a bigger plough.

pict3027skagway.jpg

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
The RTA's page here notes
There are no hazards on your journey.

It is the Live Traffic NSW page if the link does not work. You enter Jindabyne and Charlotte Pass as the trip, a blue line appears on the map and the summary on the right hand side. I hope this is up to date.

II could not find the road closures page.

Fandango

Addicted
Aug 14, 2010
Road is open all the way to CP now, good snow depth at the turning circle still!

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
And did @sbm keep the commitment not to complain about road clearance again?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using