News Charlotte Pass to undergo a large investment.

Gottathink

Hard Yards
Jan 8, 2017
Pretty excited about all this, will be more so when an approved DA for the two new lifts comes through. If you're familiar with the valley I'd say likely to go from the open space to the south of the chair (mid station) past the dam and up to the S.E. of Stillwell trig, and I think someone already said with the replacement of the basin poma a small extension would make it viable to traverse from that to the new stillwell lift. what's their target? Stillwell trig is 2054m, the bell is 2037m?

I spend quite some time down there out of season and every weekend I'm there the turning circle is parked back to the driveway (just about) so there's always people about, I'd be pretty unlikely to use the chalet. An event would bring me down though.

Just booked my fourth week for the season so probably a little biased. I'd be more excited about the huge snowmaker investment but 2017 and 2018 seasons have skied all mountain early July so 2016 (or was that 2015...) memories have been totally wiped ;p

will return to lurking shortly... happy skiing :)

GT

Last edited:

Ian

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 2, 2002
Queanbeyan
I'd be more excited about the huge snowmaker investment but 2017 and 2018 seasons have skied all mountain early July so 2016 (or was that 2015...) memories have been totally wiped ;p
GT

I remember that horror season 2015? when you could only ski around the basin poma. The snow was too thin over the bushes at the 'break' in the slope so they couldn't run the chairlift to the top. I skinned up on my Tele skis and got some runs in off the ridge.

Fozzie Bear

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
... If you're familiar with the valley I'd say likely to go from the open space to the south of the chair (mid station) past the dam and up to the S.E. of Stillwell trig, and I think someone already said with the replacement of the basin poma a small extension would make it viable to traverse from that to the new stillwell lift. what's their target? Stillwell trig is 2054m, the bell is 2037m?

Might have said it before, but no point lifting Stillwell as your proposed middle bit is flat and the top is too exposed and would be subject to frequent wind hold. Beauty of CP is that a huge area is lifted with minimal lifts. Replace Guthries with a T would reduce ques there. A chair at Guthries would get past the sacred glacial rocks, but then again the top would be exposed and also subject to wind hold.

Reactions: skifree and Ian

Ian

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 2, 2002
Queanbeyan
Yes a new T bar at Guthries would be an easy first step. They'd still have to cover the pygmy possum rocks with snow even if it was a chairlift?

Gottathink

Hard Yards
Jan 8, 2017
... Beauty of CP is that a huge area is lifted with minimal lifts. Replace Guthries with a T would reduce ques there.

agreed. and the lines... both types. If I were dreaming (forget about the details) could you imagine a lift from the snowy river back up to stillwell instead, ski over the back from the chair, t, or Guthries. send Didj for a tow back if it goes on wind hold

Reactions: skifree

Fozzie Bear

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
agreed. and the lines... both types. If I were dreaming (forget about the details) could you imagine a lift from the snowy river back up to stillwell instead, ski over the back from the chair, t, or Guthries. send Didj for a tow back if it goes on wind hold

Doesn't need a lift from Snowy River, just some leg power and appropriate gear.

IMG_0724.JPG

rowdyflat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2003
Yackandandah NE Victoria
returned from a week 16th year in a row skiing lifts and bc from Charlottes .
Someone pointed out the press release I said " Talk is cheap "
However I would nt mind it if they did put in a lift , it is more north facing and would soften up quicker on the many icy days, reasonably sheltered from the wind and beautiful old snowgums well spaced apart that didnt burn in the fires.
2 problems = the environmental case + the business case , hope he has plenty of money.
Charlotte's will always be hampered by the oversnow travel thing .
Good in a way cos its uncrowded

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
returned from a week 16th year in a row skiing lifts and bc from Charlottes .
Someone pointed out the press release I said " Talk is cheap "
However I would nt mind it if they did put in a lift , it is more north facing and would soften up quicker on the many icy days, reasonably sheltered from the wind and beautiful old snowgums well spaced apart that didnt burn in the fires.
2 problems = the environmental case + the business case , hope he has plenty of money.
Charlotte's will always be hampered by the oversnow travel thing .
Good in a way cos its uncrowded

Umm...couldn't CP decide to clear the access road like thousands of other snowy places?
It might lure more people into the resort.

AFAIK from summer visits (winter 2000 was a long time ago!), there's quite a bit of flat ground just before the village. I think that's where OSVs and grooming Vs are parked over summer. MV acces might drum up more winter visits generally.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
There is no where to build a car park. All of the flat areas near the base of CP are a federally listed Endangered Ecological Community (Alpine Bog and Associated Fen).

Cool - I stand corrected. Having taken OS twice in 30 years (wasn't cheap), perhaps some higher capacity solutions could be investigated - assuming The resort wants to generate more revenue?

sbm_

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 10, 2017
I've said it before, I think they should plough the road (and I say plough, not necessarily clearing it to tarmac with salt and grit) just to the point they can run regular vehicles with big tires and/or chains. It would still be "oversnow", the road would still mostly have snow on it past Spencers creek, and still no public access over winter. They'd just save a toooon of money not having to run weird modified snow cats and tracked vehicles.

Reactions: Sago

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
I've said it before, I think they should plough the road (and I say plough, not necessarily clearing it to tarmac with salt and grit) just to the point they can run regular vehicles with big tires and/or chains. It would still be "oversnow", the road would still mostly have snow on it past Spencers creek, and still no public access over winter. They'd just save a toooon of money not having to run weird modified snow cats and tracked vehicles.
Surely Mt Hotham road is worse?
They manage.

Reactions: Bogong

sbm_

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 10, 2017
Surely Mt Hotham road is worse?
They manage.

Hotham is definitely worse. But CP doesn't want easy access, they want exclusive access. And to be fair it has to be managed exclusively as they simply don't (and shouldn't) have any parking.

I think a focus on accommodating backcountry tourers in late September/October after the lifts stop running, would be a great area to expand into. I know a lot of lodges still take bookings, but keep the bar open, maybe get some packages going looking like a North American style "hut trip" with guiding included etc.

Reactions: PiedPiper and Ziggy

Nozawaman

A Local
Nov 7, 2002
Gold Coast/Nozawa Onsen
www.sasa-nozawa.com
Hotham is definitely worse. But CP doesn't want easy access, they want exclusive access. And to be fair it has to be managed exclusively as they simply don't (and shouldn't) have any parking.

I think a focus on accommodating backcountry tourers in late September/October after the lifts stop running, would be a great area to expand into. I know a lot of lodges still take bookings, but keep the bar open, maybe get some packages going looking like a North American style "hut trip" with guiding included etc.
Michael Stening tried so many things with the Chalet in the 80's , and while there was patronage there just wasn't enough to make it viable , but maybe times have changed ????

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass