Charlottes Pass 2018. Trip Reports, Pics and Conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Dunno, but if you do, was it you chatting to us at the poma? I’m afraid the wind kept blowing away the words so i only caught 1/4 of it. But did catch that the person talking to us was listening to Led Zep.

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
More than likely, I have a pr of orangey Apache K2's

Are you staying up here or just day tripping
Ahh, I remember the skis now you mention them.

We were only there for the Tuesday, otherwise you normally find me at perisher.

I had green dps skis & @DidSurfNowSki with me had green Blizzards.

Good to put a face to a fellow poster.

Reactions: DidSurfNowSki

Tree Breaker Bob

One of Us
Jul 19, 2006
Dalmeny South Coast NSW
D6DD218C-6408-4F99-AC57-45B437176FD5.jpeg
D6DD218C-6408-4F99-AC57-45B437176FD5.jpeg
I think you can tell how good the morning was

Ian

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 2, 2002
Queanbeyan
Charlottes really shines when you have kids in tow. Think of skiing Perisher with one beginner and one on a jealous boob at your lodge. There's no way you could whip out for a couple of quick runs between feeds or nappy changes there, or Thredbo. And when they take off on their own its not hard to pick them out in the 'crowd' because there aren't any crowds. Now my kids have left I still love the place, the friendly staff, lack of crowds, the views off the back, and after a big dump on Monday they don't groom it for a couple of days. Truly the best resort in Australia.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Charlottes really shines when you have kids in tow. Think of skiing Perisher with one beginner and one on a jealous boob at your lodge. There's no way you could whip out for a couple of quick runs between feeds or nappy changes there, or Thredbo. And when they take off on their own its not hard to pick them out in the 'crowd' because there aren't any crowds. Now my kids have left I still love the place, the friendly staff, lack of crowds, the views off the back, and after a big dump on Monday they don't groom it for a couple of days. Truly the best resort in Australia.
Our first 2 snow trips were to CP. My youngest celebrated her 3rd and 4th birthdays there. Back then they had an awesome kids club at the Chalet, where they could come and go all day. Great memories which kept popping into my head as I skied around there last week.

Last edited:

jrr

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 20, 2002
Haberfield, Sydney
Absolutely !
All our kids have been there either as babies, or in utero :) All learnt to ski there growing up, and even as young adults still very much appreciate the place. Of all the places in Australia, Charlotte's is still my overall favourite.

Xwing

One of Us
Jun 22, 2016
Arrived Friday...windy. Snow came Saturday and we did not ski. The snow fall was great as we stayed at the lodge and pub - so light and dry and so much. Come Sunday and it was time for over snow and my first ski ever at Charlotte Pass - been skiing since 1984. Beautiful in all ways. Magic views and vision on the trip in and a day of changing conditions where really...all were suitable. Some great lines for fresh...so much. We were on the fourth or so chair when it opened for fresh across the board there and also further out through the tree glades. You don't get that anywhere else in NSW. It is just a corner, but so nice and was snowing beautifully as we skied through - wish I took pics then, but hey...you know. Snowfall was heavy then lighter then heavy etc with sun appearing now and then and very obvious crystal form flakes landing.

Could not have hoped for better. Last over snow out took us back basically as dark fell. Too many photos to load and the video in slow motion I took of dumping blowing snow in the light on Saturday night is entrancing...too big to load here. Magic....especially after being offered a room at the lodge on Friday night rather than camp at Island Bend...in the wind, for which we had done a dry run the day before to sort out a method etc.

Snow beside the road at Berridale on the way back today.

from Guthries

from guthries.png

up Guthries
guthries.png

In we go
here we go.png

nice conditions
machine.png

Views to the main range were not extensive...didn't matter
main range view from top of kangaroo chair.png

over snow back
over snow back.png

Steps at top of Guthries
rocks guthries steps.png

to the village from Guthries
the pass.png

departing time
time to go.png

from the top of the chair...deep soft untracked...ski patrol were doing slide control prior to the chair opening
view from top.png

the village
village from guthries.png

village scene A.png

village scene.png

star on my glove.png

the drive out A.png

NathanF

Addicted
Jun 11, 2011
...and fretted over the lack of queues at the lifts. A beautiful day with no hint of the forecast showers. What a laid-back, cruisy place - I imagine it would be particularly special after a fresh fall of snow!

I went there last year and this year for a day each time and both times was very lucky to have 5-10cm+ of fresh snow overnight and bluebird day when I was there... the lightness of the snow and how long you get fresh tracks for are amazing.

My two biggest comments re CP though are I don't know how they make enough money to stay open - there seems to be hardly anyone there and... I don't know how you could ski there any longer than a day at once (unless you do some decent serious hiking/skinning) - there just isn't enough terrain. But the fresh tracks and lightness of the snow is amazing!

For what it's worth, here's a 3 videos I took when I was there on 1 August:

T-Bar

Chair

Poma

Reactions: Zeroz

bullet

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 11, 2007
wollongong
I went there last year and this year for a day each time and both times was very lucky to have 5-10cm+ of fresh snow overnight and bluebird day when I was there... the lightness of the snow and how long you get fresh tracks for are amazing.

My two biggest comments re CP though are I don't know how they make enough money to stay open - there seems to be hardly anyone there and... I don't know how you could ski there any longer than a day at once (unless you do some decent serious hiking/skinning) - there just isn't enough terrain. But the fresh tracks and lightness of the snow is amazing!

For what it's worth, here's a 3 videos I took when I was there on 1 August:

T-Bar

Chair

Poma
Haha we were there that day, we're standing in the line when you get to the bottom.

Ian

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 2, 2002
Queanbeyan
I don't know how they make enough money to stay open - there seems to be hardly anyone there and... I don't know how you could ski there any longer than a day at once...there just isn't enough terrain

They get a cut of the club lodges turnover, not much investment so far, LOTS of maintenance, imagine the power bill...
You've only been there one day and haven't been off the back yet, get some AT gear, book into the Chalet for a week and get back to us...

bluestick

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2005
northern rivers
Had a day at cp yesterday ok / good fresh untracked snow wide of Guthrie’s. cp would get pretty dull if you didn’t tour / explore unless you are a family wanting to get the kids into it. if so, it’s close to perfect.

rowdyflat

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2003
Yackandandah NE Victoria
Came back today from 1 week at CP .
Good xc earlier in the week beautiful weather but it froze solid minus 14.4 degrees and took until midday to soften in the sun , good turns down Clarke , Trapyard and Foxhole.
Nice dump of fresh snow on friday ,was storm skiing on the T bar but it turned a bit stodgy on Saturday.
Unfortunately the cable on Guthries broke so thats it for the season ?

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Came back today from 1 week at CP .
Good xc earlier in the week beautiful weather but it froze solid minus 14.4 degrees and took until midday to soften in the sun , good turns down Clarke , Trapyard and Foxhole.
Nice dump of fresh snow on friday ,was storm skiing on the T bar but it turned a bit stodgy on Saturday.
Unfortunately the cable on Guthries broke so thats it for the season ?
Big bummer about the best poma in Oz failing.

Not enough gaffa tape ?

Gottathink

Hard Yards
Jan 8, 2017
Maybe they'll get the road open earlier then.

Hahaha, parks wouldn't let gutheries get in the way of opening the road... they don't actually plow it do they, just let nature take it's course? Maybe it means CPV is up for 3 new lifts

Tree Breaker Bob

One of Us
Jul 19, 2006
Dalmeny South Coast NSW
Don't forget when Kevin took over he opened 2 weeks later and shut 2 weeks early. It's going to take some time for the punters to come back especially when south facing Guthries is not working

Twin Valleys is the other way

Reactions: Sago

cornice11

One of Us
Jun 16, 2018
Don't forget when Kevin took over he opened 2 weeks later and shut 2 weeks early. It's going to take some time for the punters to come back especially when south facing Guthries is not working

Twin Valleys is the other way
Gutheries is a big out imo and not getting it fixed this season after it blew up shows poor commitment to customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass