Snow Report Charlottes Pass 2020. Trip Reports, Pics, Updates and Conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
They give one for Selwyn! It’s my radio station and I’ll say what I want to.
Yes, have now completely deleted SnowFM due to these stupid snow reports for Selwyn. Fair dinkim, they are taking the pith now!

Reactions: nezumi

teleroo

<\unencrypted>
Ski Pass
Jun 19, 2019
Illawarra
So they've got the groomer to the top of Guthrie's last night. Trail set on the way up and top bowl groomed/prepped. Just need some extra snow to fill in the lower bowl.

IMG_20200716_140610.jpg

Was great out here today. Straight onto the lifts (Kozi Triple, Poma and Pulpit T). Groomed runs hard packed but cold up top, lower down softened a little during the arvo.

Off piste has frozen up with the cold misty weather. A few riders off the groomers were just skidding over the surface.

Well, that's a wrap for this trip from me. Big thanks to the CP crew for making our trip happen from the ashes of a burnt out Selwyn. Remember, the only reason we get to have a great ski holiday us because of the crew on duty: lifties, mtn ops, oversnow drivers, ski patrol, groomers, hospo staff, lodge managers. :thumbs::thumbs:.

Aractus

One of Us
Sep 5, 2018
Canberra
Yes, have now completely deleted SnowFM due to these stupid snow reports for Selwyn. Fair dinkim, they are taking the pith now!

I don't think it's taking the piss, the resorts mean a lot to alpine communities/towns and Kevin could have taken the insurance money and just closed/abandoned Selwyn and used the money for improving CP. From what I hear locals were surprised (but also very pleased) that he intends to rebuild.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
@Sago got your message. Is still a small world :thumbs:

Hill report. Arrived too late Saturday to ski, but looked fun. Sunday started with snow falling, but by the end of breakfast (AKA waiting for the chair to start) the snow had turned into a wintery mix without the winter, that continued for the next 20 hours. Word was the only reason that Guthries ran on Saturday was so CP could claim status as first resort to open all lifts. Apparently was more than a bit sketchy as adults were being lifted at a few spots due to low snow levels. Anyhoo, hasn't run since.

Avoided getting soaked on Sunday but had a noodle in the goop on Monday afternoon, after the wintery mix had a bit more winter in it. Lots of mash potato skiing.

Tuesday, wintery mix without winter returned with only the carpet and poma operating. Chair and t-bar on wind hold, which is mostly marketing bullshyte as neither could be groomed and there is a lake around the t-bar base. Did one poma run waiting for @toxicfox to appear before heading in to dry out. Would be nice if CP management could be honest and just tell the truth: i.e. couldn't groom due to rain, so too dangerous to open.

If pre constituted snow stops, might go for an uphill ski this arvo.

kiter

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 21, 2002
Newcastle
Can anyone tell me why the road to cp isn’t cleared during winter ( no not for cars ) so that cp can offer an efficient and safe transport option to its resort . Ffs surely a plough when it’s snows and buses with chains is preferable to the current set up

Reactions: Sago

kiter

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 21, 2002
Newcastle
I've been saying it for 30+ years
And the reason is ? It seems that Nsw gov with renewal of lease wants cp to succeed but why this half arsed and downright dangerous current transport . It’s a joke and is a serious roadblock to offering professional tourism in the area . I’m not advocating a mass rapid transit system to the area that destroys its uniqueness just something that is better safer and more professional than the current set up. If it’s some sort of greennand pristine excuse they should have cancelled the lease and bulldozed the place

Sago

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jun 29, 2001
Corunna Lake. NSW
Terminate at old tennis courts so village is still snow bound, and then shuttle village guests within the resort from there.
Day tripper numbers still can be managed as to not over crowd facilities.

Reactions: kiter

Sago

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jun 29, 2001
Corunna Lake. NSW
I'd say the NPWS won't allow winter road clearing.
They would rather pollute the environment rather than allow efficient transport

kiter

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 21, 2002
Newcastle
Id say the NPWS won't allow winter road clearing.
rather pollute environment rather than allow efficient transport
If that’s the case it’s pathetic . Time to seriously question the local member who wants the area to succeed . The current set up is a boil on the arse of the area and it’s not about bringing the bloody hordes to the area ( of which there a ton load now in summer and autumn that park all over the side of the road which is a disgrace . ) Make it a year round thing , keep the bloody cars out bit offer good efficient transport utilising ski tube in winter and Perisher in summer as a transport interchange. Spare me the bs excuses and let’s get serious about this issue and address it now while there is the opportunity and community and political will

kiter

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 21, 2002
Newcastle
Sorry, glad the road isnt cleared in winter. Part of the charm is that access is by oversnow.
What is charming about being deprived of your hard earned for a crappy , unreliable and dangerous journey along a road that could be easily cleared utilising transport that is way more efficient . Mandate that the busses are electric . I’m sick of these crappy excuses and I’m sure I’m not the only one . This is not a whinge but a call to action

kiter

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 21, 2002
Newcastle
What is charming about being deprived of your hard earned for a crappy , unreliable and dangerous journey along a road that could be easily cleared utilising transport that is way more efficient . Mandate that the busses are electric . I’m sick of these crappy excuses and I’m sure I’m not the only one . This is not a whinge but a call to action
The charm is that there’s aren’t cars and hordes , this can be retained by clearing the road and maintaining and extending efficient transport by bus to the area in summer and winter and extending the charm . The car park along the side of the road on the way to the turn around in summer and autumn is disgusting and adds to the erosion of the area and is foul . A cleared road in winter is a non issue In comparison

Sago

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jun 29, 2001
Corunna Lake. NSW
I can relate to what your saying Fozzie bear. Yes the over snow is a great experience for the new comers. But for the return travelers is the most annoying 30-40 minutes.
the inefficient transport and the pollution created by a 40 minute trip when it could be10minutes should out way the charm

Reactions: nezumi and kiter

derider

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2020
Wollongong
The oversnow does sound charming and seems to keep the hordes away. It makes CP feel secluded and unique, so I don't mind it in principle. Why is it dangerous?

I haven't been, but I look forward to checking it out myself on Tuesday. Can't wait. Is it still snowing?

kiter

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 21, 2002
Newcastle
The charm is that there’s aren’t cars and hordes , this can be retained by clearing the road and maintaining and extending efficient transport by bus to the area in summer and winter and extending the charm . The car park along the side of the road on the way to the turn around in summer and autumn is disgusting and adds to the erosion of the area and is foul . A cleared road in winter is a non issue In comparison

Sago

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jun 29, 2001
Corunna Lake. NSW
And having spent many years skiing and working in Switzerland where no car's are allowed in many resorts, but an efficient means of transport accessing resort the argument for keeping over snow transfers in Australia is laughable.

Reactions: rowdyflat and kiter

kiter

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 21, 2002
Newcastle
The oversnow does sound charming and seems to keep the hordes away. It makes CP feel secluded and unique, so I don't mind it in principle. Why is it dangerous?

I haven't been, but I look forward to checking it out myself on Tuesday. Can't wait. Is it still snowing?
It’s not charming at all . It’s dangerous because at times the slush means that the vehicles get bogged and slide and can’t pass each other safely . There are too many people isolated too and if there were an emergency then getting people in and out is problematic . During snowfalls navigating the road is problematic and a cleared road actually provides a safer path , countries with much more challenging weather and deeper snowfalls are able to maintain a cleared and navigable road . We manage to do it to Perisher , ( with weekend warrior city based idiots with no icy road experience in suvs allowed to slide all over the place every 5th day not a problem apparently ) . Yes it’s still snowing . See ya tues

Reactions: derider and Sago

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
@kiter Blyton Group just need to invest in better oversnow vehicles, which i understand is happening. Im a big fan of Arctic Trucks systems, but was told that the new(ish) Bombadier trial has been successful and more will be ordered.

And for being dangerous...... in 15 years of operation, i can't recall a serious accident with any of the Mattrack equiped Isuzu vehicles. The worst situation was ten years ago (or so) the road was flooded after heavy rain and guests could not get in or out for 24 hours; and cleared road or not would not have changed that.

Your complaint about vehicles parked at the turning circle is a National Parks issue.

Last edited:

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
It’s not charming at all . It’s dangerous because at times the slush means that the vehicles get bogged and slide and can’t pass each other safely . There are too many people isolated too and if there were an emergency then getting people in and out is problematic . During snowfalls navigating the road is problematic and a cleared road actually provides a safer path , countries with much more challenging weather and deeper snowfalls are able to maintain a cleared and navigable road . We manage to do it to Perisher , ( with weekend warrior city based idiots with no icy road experience in suvs allowed to slide all over the place every 5th day not a problem apparently ) . Yes it’s still snowing . See ya tues
The Perisher road is kept open with the application of tonnes of grit, NaCl and CaCl2. All of which are much worse for the local environment than travel without snow clearing.

Chookfooter

Cranky Curmudgeon
Ski Pass
May 11, 2020
Be careful what what you wish for, if it's more accessible get ready for the queues. The other thing that keeps the Kozzie road open is the amount of traffic it carries. With 1 bus running up and down the road that wouldn't help, so they would be running a machine up and down constantly when it's snowing. I remember when the RTA took over snow clearing from the Parks, I was talking to the RTA Traffic Commander, he said the RTA was gobsmacked how much they were spending to keep a dead end road open. I can't see the RTA extending that expenditure to road that is closed, so CO will have have to wear that, which will be passed on to the customer.

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Be careful what what you wish for, if it's more accessible get ready for the queues. The other thing that keeps the Kozzie road open is the amount of traffic it carries. With 1 bus running up and down the road that wouldn't help, so they would be running a machine up and down constantly when it's snowing. I remember when the RTA took over snow clearing from the Parks, I was talking to the RTA Traffic Commander, he said the RTA was gobsmacked how much they were spending to keep a dead end road open. I can't see the RTA extending that expenditure to road that is closed, so CO will have have to wear that, which will be passed on to the customer.
Completely agree. People do not realise how much work it is to keep roads open. We are the end of the road at Chalet Madarao. It takes them nearly an hour to do our very short street with the snow plow. We have had occasions where we have had to get the snow blower out to get in or out and rescue cars. Not fun at any time and even less fun at 4am.

When we are not well set up for road clearing it is not practicable to clear the road to CP

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
LOL that must have been a while ago!

Reactions: Telemark Phat

Chookfooter

Cranky Curmudgeon
Ski Pass
May 11, 2020
Around the turn of the century (I forget which side) they looked at keeping the road open and did a bit of research. Unfortunately for the fans of keeping it open they picked a year with above average snowfalls (so it wasn't '06) and decided it was all too hard. That was well before Blytons time.

jrr

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 20, 2002
Haberfield, Sydney
I always enjoy the trip in the snowcats, and I've seen quite a few varieties, from the old bombardiers, through the towed fridges to the new Mattrack equipped buses. I've experienced the odd long delay but more often a pleasant half hour journey through a winter wonderland.
I'm a vote for not clearing the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass