Snow Report Charlottes Pass 2020. Trip Reports, Pics, Updates and Conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

derider

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2020
Wollongong
I enjoyed the oversnow as a novelty, though I can definitely see it getting old after a few trips.

Charlotte itself is really nice. It’s a bit too small for me, but I enjoyed the seclusion and lack of crowds (though it was busier than I expected). The skiing was quite exhausting, since the snow was rock hard and packed with ice. I couldn’t just relax and cruise until the afternoon when it softened a bit, but I was already tired by then.

My favourite run was the black immediately to the left of the chair. I could also see the potential of the Guthries poma run, but it was the iciest hill I’ve ever skied. I was fully vibrating on the way down. I didn’t take many pics, but here’s a couple:

Attachments

• 63FD1A63-5A2E-4D74-8D9D-5A6671B936A2.jpeg
    63FD1A63-5A2E-4D74-8D9D-5A6671B936A2.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
  • 2341E215-4E77-4A55-8017-6B7382F88886.jpeg
    2341E215-4E77-4A55-8017-6B7382F88886.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Blue Mtns, 1100M.
I enjoyed the oversnow as a novelty, though I can definitely see it getting old after a few trips.

Charlotte itself is really nice. It’s a bit too small for me, but I enjoyed the seclusion and lack of crowds (though it was busier than I expected). The skiing was quite exhausting, since the snow was rock hard and packed with ice. I couldn’t just relax and cruise until the afternoon when it softened a bit, but I was already tired by then.

My favourite run was the black immediately to the left of the chair. I could also see the potential of the Guthries poma run, but it was the iciest hill I’ve ever skied. I was fully vibrating on the way down. I didn’t take many pics, but here’s a couple:
It sounds like everywhere was boilerplate today not just CP.

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods

At least there has more snow than 2 weeks ago...... then it was boilerplate, dodging rocks and really only the poma skiable. And when there is more snow, it is far from small. Lots of places to explore from Guthries chutes to the trees behind Little Stillwell.

teleroo

leaf blower aficionado
Ski Pass
Jun 19, 2019
Illawarra
Trip report from today.

Out on an early oversnow this morning and queued up ready to go on first t bars. Cloud was just scudding across the tops early on and the cold temperatures were far more appropriate for August after yesterday's warmth. Groomers were skiing great early on with the colder conditions and actually had a nice loose layer on top of the busier runs after some traffic. A few laps on Kozi Triple before heading across to Guthrie's, which also had mellowed a little with a bit of temperature cycling and grooming. Started snowing lightly about 10:30 am but vis was still good. Was potentially shaping up as DOTS at this point, if the light snow were to continue all day long. Went for chippies and hot choc at 11:30. Pic from the bottom of Guthrie's.
IMG_20200812_110046.jpg

Came out after chippies and day was over basically. No vis, mizzle, socked in. Managed to snag an earlier oversnow back to PV ( many thanks CP crew). Great morning though. Thems the breaks.

Fozzie Bear

Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
Trip report from today.

Out on an early oversnow this morning and queued up ready to go on first t bars. Cloud was just scudding across the tops early on and the cold temperatures were far more appropriate for August after yesterday's warmth. Groomers were skiing great early on with the colder conditions and actually had a nice loose layer on top of the busier runs after some traffic. A few laps on Kozi Triple before heading across to Guthrie's, which also had mellowed a little with a bit of temperature cycling and grooming. Started snowing lightly about 10:30 am but vis was still good. Was potentially shaping up as DOTS at this point, if the light snow were to continue all day long. Went for chippies and hot choc at 11:30. Pic from the bottom of Guthrie's.
IMG_20200812_110046.jpg

Came out after chippies and day was over basically. No vis, mizzle, socked in. Managed to snag an earlier oversnow back to PV ( many thanks CP crew). Great morning though. Thems the breaks.

Someone stole all of the rocks that were there......

Reactions: teleroo
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

wiggle

Hard Yards
Aug 14, 2003
sydney
I’ve always been lurking, just nothing to say.

Now I’m here, I’ll put in my 10 cents’ worth on the road. Apart from all of the issues with keeping it clear - blizzard conditions and wind drifts - it would spoil the look of being a snowbound village. Also, the clear tarmac would heat up and the surrounding areas of snow would melt more quickly. The cat ride can be tedious, but it’s all part of the adventure.

Kevin has been doing an amazing job here and CP is getting the love she needs.

Nice to chat to you all again.

toxicfox

Addicted
Aug 15, 2010
Little update, apoligies Rowdy, little heavier than yesterday morning and deeper, five runs and my legs are not good

Bit queue waiting this morning at the T managed 5th but beat yesterdays boarders
CPV table.jpg
You may have been in front of the borders at first lifts but you were behind them at second lifts.

Reactions: Fozzie Bear

wiggle

Hard Yards
Aug 14, 2003
sydney
Imagine how many day trippers there would be if the road was cleared! I think most of us who’ve skied here for a long time would prefer there weren’t any, but at least they help pay for infrastructure, like the new Guthrie’s chair.

Reactions: Sago and rowdyflat

Tree Breaker Bob

One of Us
Jul 19, 2006
Dalmeny South Coast NSW
No I don't, I only really know Sago as he was a youngster when his father used to bring him and his brother in to our ski shop in the early 80's and I recognised him when we started coming up to CPV many years ago, although I would probably recognise the gatekeepers as familiar faces if they were long time CP skiers/boarders

Reactions: Sago

Fozzie Bear

Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
@Tree Breaker Bob , @Sago knows the couple on question. They had previously managed a different lodge at CP before coming back to take over from Nola and Mocko. Reason I asked is that out of ski season they are also residents of Narooma..... though of course, not exactly a small village.

Sago

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jun 29, 2001
Corunna Lake. NSW
@Tree Breaker Bob I do remember your ski shop well, I still have one pair of Volkl 205 GS you sold me. Although the plan is to turn them into an Adirondack chair along with a couple old planks I still have. You also had a factory near my father's at kirrawee?
Anyway any updates on conditions?

Tree Breaker Bob

One of Us
Jul 19, 2006
Dalmeny South Coast NSW
Pretty windy right now with light snow falls, still have to watch for obstacles bottom of Guthries. The back trail into our lodge through the trees had really good quality snow today and other areas were just a bit heavy
Waiting for some finer weather to see how our chutes are looking. The two young helpers in our lodge walked up onto the rocks above Guthries and took the second run/chute, said the snow quality was awesome

Sunday may reveal all

kiter

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 21, 2002
Newcastle
EE621D85-D302-47C7-86C0-D8F94B451261.jpeg
I can not describe how good the last 2 days have been . Fresh lines 2 days in a row with tracks filling in in minutes . Staying at Pygmy possum and we have a local who’s burrowed through the snowpack to enjoy the warmth of the adjacent kitchen . Southern bush rat or broad tooth rat we reckon ( natives not ratus ratus )

Attachments

• C30D8106-4BC0-453C-A100-125E50352979.jpeg
    C30D8106-4BC0-453C-A100-125E50352979.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • D6DEF7D7-BABC-499E-BB4B-7958ACC54A03.jpeg
    D6DEF7D7-BABC-499E-BB4B-7958ACC54A03.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • 51A54B82-858D-4C28-BF02-8A36113F7FD8.jpeg
    51A54B82-858D-4C28-BF02-8A36113F7FD8.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • 58B7D34B-DA32-46FB-BB8E-C6E2FB96ED22.jpeg
    58B7D34B-DA32-46FB-BB8E-C6E2FB96ED22.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
EE621D85-D302-47C7-86C0-D8F94B451261.jpeg
I can not describe how good the last 2 days have been . Fresh lines 2 days in a row with tracks filling in in minutes . Staying at Pygmy possum and we have a local who’s burrowed through the snowpack to enjoy the warmth of the adjacent kitchen . Southern bush rat or broad tooth rat we reckon ( natives not ratus ratus )
If its tail is shorter than its body its a native, if its longer its feral.

Fozzie Bear

Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
Ok. You've won...I'll have to grin and bare it.

lel.... I guess the reason so many of us love CP is because it is uncrowed. Down the road at Perisher all the freshies are gone within half an hour of a lift opening, leaving elephant snot chowder to ski on for the rest of the day, whereas up at CP you can still find fresh tracks days after a good snowfall. But you know this :D Yes it is being selfish, but if it was easier to get to CP it would just become a crowded extension of Perisher and I would no longer be bothered staying and skiing there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass