Snow Report Charlottes Pass 2020. Trip Reports, Pics, Updates and Conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sago

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jun 29, 2001
Corunna Lake. NSW
lel.... I guess the reason so many of us love CP is because it is uncrowed. Down the road at Perisher all the freshies are gone within half an hour of a lift opening, leaving elephant snot chowder to ski on for the rest of the day, whereas up at CP you can still find fresh tracks days after a good snowfall. But you know this :D Yes it is being selfish, but if it was easier to get to CP it would just become a crowded extension of Perisher and I would no longer be bothered staying and skiing there.
Yes I agree. At no time wanted a free for all access. Even with the extra day trippers they have now show's how exposed and inadequate the lift system currently is.

Reactions: Fozzie Bear

Ian

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 2, 2002
Queanbeyan
This year would be the second worst snow since mid July 2006(?), we went a bit later this year for the XC race week, which didn't go ahead.

Hardly anyone there, the lift queues were longer due to the restrictions, made no difference on Guthries, I got to have a rest between runs. Everyone was following the regulations so all those good people up there could get back to work.

I still had a great time, got some fresh lines on The Pass, Rocky Road and Lenny's Leap. Did the middle chute. Took The Bride for a snowshoe up to Mt Stillwell.

Hard to believe the food at our club lodge has improved! volume is back! not even room for a wafer-thin after-dinner mint, no need for lunch.

Attachments

• CP_menu.jpeg
    CP_menu.jpeg
    140.5 KB · Views: 3

jrr

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 20, 2002
Haberfield, Sydney
Yep - '82 was rather miserable, especially following '81. I reckon the dodgy ones are getting more common but we've had a few really, really good season's since, but they appear to becoming rarer :-(

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
@jrr it has always been about timing. For a couple of years I would not pre-book accomodation and would go down when it was good. Only problem was I had a lodge membership but for two years didn't get to stay there (ended up at Jerra instead). Now I have a skiing +0.95 (Mk III), I can't do the drop of a hat, but do get to do 2 x 1 weeks at CP (usually late July-early August and early-middle September) which usually serves up some freshies and some spring skiing (thought not when you would expect it :D ).

And I remember 1981 & 1982 quite well; 1981 was epic but blizzard after blizzard (learnt to ski by braille). 1982 is the only year I've tried cross-country skiing.

Last edited:
Reactions: jrr and Jonathan_P

jrr

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 20, 2002
Haberfield, Sydney
Don't get me wrong. I've had heaps of great weeks & weekends since 78 (I think that was when I first spent a week at CPV). 1st week of August (Race week) for many years plus another week at Hotham in September. Plenty of good times. Nowadays I'm happy to get a long weekend with my adult daughter and this year we even got away for a 5 night stay at Thredders. Lovely, but we got 2 days of rain after the big July dump followed by 2 blue sky days on very thinning snow. Still, was a joy.
Happy days:D

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Tree Breaker Bob

One of Us
Jul 19, 2006
Dalmeny South Coast NSW
I'm still holding out for a 1964.

There's that photo in the Chalet hallway of the ski lift cables disappearing into the snow on their way to the top bullwheel.
That could be 1981

I am pretty sure that the photo that states 1964 is the skidoo siting on top of the buried top station. I could be wrong but that doesn't happen often LOL but a bit more now I am getting older

Bob

Reactions: Jonathan_P

citizenkane

Hard Yards
Oct 18, 2017
Beautiful day yesterday, great conditions! Except for the abusive lifty loading the chair who slammed the safety bar down and injured my 7 year old who has some nice bruising to show for it

teleroo

<\unencrypted>
Ski Pass
Jun 19, 2019
Illawarra
I'm inbound Thursday to Monday. Camping a discrete distance out, but resort skiing. Come say hi, red parka, tele rig. Daughter on teles too.
Cancelled...funeral. School holidays (last week of season) will be next trip. Having not skied at CP prior to this season, can some of you more experienced hands shed light on what the tail-end conditions like?

Fozzie Bear

Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
Cancelled...funeral. School holidays (last week of season) will be next trip. Having not skied at CP prior to this season, can some of you more experienced hands shed light on what the tail-end conditions like?

Can be brilliant or can be bring a bike. If you are determined to have fun, you will have fun, no matter what the snow conditions.

citizenkane

Hard Yards
Oct 18, 2017
Many of the lifts/grooming will likely be closed/not happening. If not its a really great time to be in CP, perfect Aussie conditions.

Reactions: teleroo

Lucas

Hard Yards
Jan 17, 2020
Hey guys, I've heard of this deal called "Clickety-click Sixty-six Thursdays" on Snow FM. Advertised as oversnow transport, a lift pass, a lunch and a drink for $66. Sounds heaps good to me!!

Just wondering if any of you know about this? Can you prebook or where do you have to be to get a ticket?

Thanks guys :)

teleroo

<\unencrypted>
Ski Pass
Jun 19, 2019
Illawarra
Hey guys, I've heard of this deal called "Clickety-click Sixty-six Thursdays" on Snow FM. Advertised as oversnow transport, a lift pass, a lunch and a drink for $66. Sounds heaps good to me!!

Just wondering if any of you know about this? Can you prebook or where do you have to be to get a ticket?

Thanks guys :)
Call up the Charlotte Pass reservation office, or visit office I guess in Jindy.

Fozzie Bear

Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
Best mate and ski bud arrives there tomorrow with fam and a crew . Stupid me turned down the trip .. busy .
Very very tidy skier .. will PM you . Enjoy :thumbs:

Prefect spring touring weather. Have Voilet touring skis, floppy hat and sun screen. Will be water skiing by the end of the week :D

Last edited:

Fozzie Bear

Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
@kaegee I really thinking that we should try and book out my lodge for an end of season BC fest. Reckon there would be enough interest from quite a few here. Partners +, would be an excellent week of Main Range toodling with the comforts of a lodge and great food courtesy of my lodges hosts/managers.

Fozzie Bear

Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
Will try and hatch something this week..... talk to managers and booking office to see numbers and when we would have to commit. But end of season is otherwise dead so should be doable.

Reactions: Ian and kaegee

teleroo

<\unencrypted>
Ski Pass
Jun 19, 2019
Illawarra
Despite plans to be skiing and camping at CP this weekend (which looks like would have been a great weekend), life has got in the way. Have reconfigured trip for Thursday night onwards for four nights. Weather looking a little iffy. Camping above Chateau de Merde (along from Pygmy Possum). Will be first time snow camping in maybe 20 years.

Fozzie Bear

Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
Despite plans to be skiing and camping at CP this weekend (which looks like would have been a great weekend), life has got in the way. Have reconfigured trip for Thursday night onwards for four nights. Weather looking a little iffy. Camping above Chateau de Merde (along from Pygmy Possum). Will be first time snow camping in maybe 20 years.

Will still be lots of snow when you get here

Reactions: teleroo

cornice11

One of Us
Jun 16, 2018
been very underwhelmed by cp this year. 90 minute - 2 hour waits to get through their phones to book anything from first snowfall of the season. yet they keep advertising and selling tickets.

rowdyflat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2003
Yackandandah NE Victoria
@kaegee I really thinking that we should try and book out my lodge for an end of season BC fest. Reckon there would be enough interest from quite a few here. Partners +, would be an excellent week of Main Range toodling with the comforts of a lodge and great food courtesy of my lodges hosts/managers.
Yeah I would come if we are allowed into NSW.

Fozzie Bear

Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
Love CP, but not feeling it today. Much mizzle outside. Might pull plug early on a shorter than usual 2020 season.

rowdyflat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2003
Yackandandah NE Victoria
Love CP, but not feeling it today. Much mizzle outside. Might pull plug early on a shorter than usual 2020 season.
Yeah TBB got the week of the season , was sposed to be up last week and will still go in Oct if allowed into NSW which seems unlikely .Weather is warm shit with no potential in the forecast for Falls ie McKay, either ,which would be good w a clear road and a freeze overnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass