Charlottes Pass 2021. Trip Reports, Pics, Updates and Conditions.

Tree Breaker Bob

One of Us
Jul 19, 2006
Dalmeny South Coast NSW
I will just send some more snow and join in, in a couple of weeks. Loving living at Dalmeny now but it looks like it will be quiet in the lodge, the powder runs I can handle by myself just fine and where is the good coffee this year

Reactions: Sago

dayzoff

One of Us
May 25, 2012
Canberra
Myfi
2 Pistes and lift line have been groomed on Guthries. Rumoured to open Sat.
My first day trip to CP for the season this Thursday 29/7. Bought half dozen ticket blitzes. The big concern though is the ACT border bubble is apparently about to be announced this week. Upon thinking of the logistics involved and speaking to friends in Albury it would appear that once your in the bubble you will be permitted to travel from QBYN to ACT for work and back but if you travel outside the bubble to the snow or the coast then you won’t be permitted back into the bubble for work for 14 days.
I may be barking completely up the wrong tree but if it unfolds similar to the Albury/Wodonga bubble then the ramifications for the NSW Skifields is that, whats left of the skiing market (ACT/QBYN) will essentially be locked out of the snow unless they are in the position of not having to go to work in the ACT.

Thoughts anyone?

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
Myfi

My first day trip to CP for the season this Thursday 29/7. Bought half dozen ticket blitzes. The big concern though is the ACT border bubble is apparently about to be announced this week. Upon thinking of the logistics involved and speaking to friends in Albury it would appear that once your in the bubble you will be permitted to travel from QBYN to ACT for work and back but if you travel outside the bubble to the snow or the coast then you won’t be permitted back into the bubble for work for 14 days.
I may be barking completely up the wrong tree but if it unfolds similar to the Albury/Wodonga bubble then the ramifications for the NSW Skifields is that, whats left of the skiing market (ACT/QBYN) will essentially be locked out of the snow unless they are in the position of not having to go to work in the ACT.

Thoughts anyone?
Hopefully that wont be the case. Just go for it and take every day as it comes.

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi
Myfi

Thoughts anyone?
Thoughts on ACT restrictions- new thread

Reactions: skifree

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
Day 7 today. My legs are ready for a rest. Very few people about due to very poor vis. Off piste was very hard work with sketchy, lumpy crust underneath. Found a few very nice bits but they were hard to come by and constant goggle wiping was essential. But what a great week it has been.

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Myfi

Thoughts anyone?
Whats your source for this? I’m in the bubble and haven’t heard anything?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

dayzoff

One of Us
May 25, 2012
Canberra
Whats your source for this? I’m in the bubble and haven’t heard anything?
Canberra Times last Friday said ACT regional bubble is imminent in the next week. Which bubble are you in? Not sure what you mean by that? Other long term forum members all of opinion any ACT/QBYN bubble would still allow free movement around surrounding LGAs for skiing etc as long as there is no outbreak.

toxicfox

Addicted
Aug 15, 2010
Had a good first hour on the tbar but under the chair was heavy and sticky. Australian powder after yesterday’s amazing snow.
1879FF15-148C-4BDA-8079-1DF6514DD060.jpeg

dayzoff

One of Us
May 25, 2012
Canberra
I was heading there after lunch to hike the chutes but got the time wrong. Shuts at 1pm not 2pm.

Why was the chair on slow speed all day ? Is the basin poma broken or is it lack of lifties.
Don’t know but there were plenty of regular CP skiers and boarders complaining yesterday about the go slow.

toxicfox

Addicted
Aug 15, 2010
Lazy bastard. Would be skinning.
Why ? I bought a lift pass.
september is skinning month.
One extra hour on Guthrie’s would be all that’s needed. And now the tbar is closed. The line on the chair is up to the second pylon because it’s on half speed as they won’t run the basin poma for beginners, so they unload at mid station. It’s a cost saving measure.
I’m not that concerned and feel lucky to not be in lockdown. but I feel for the punters that arrive for their one weeks holiday to find the place being run this way.
Don’t blame the staff on the lifts. They don’t make the decisions

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
One extra hour on Guthrie’s would be all that’s needed. And now the tbar is closed. The line on the chair is up to the second pylon because it’s on half speed as they won’t run the basin poma for beginners, so they unload at mid station. It’s a cost saving measure.
I’m not that concerned and feel lucky to not be in lockdown. but I feel for the punters that arrive for their one weeks holiday to find the place being run this way.

True. Pretty ordinary. Especially as I have two season passes, paid for, that they haven't indicated that they will refund........ over a week after request was sent.

Reactions: cornice11

M&ME

Hard Yards
Sep 7, 2014
Are the reduced lifts a permanent measure during the lockdown? One of the key draw cards is that my 8yo can ride the Basin poma.

Reactions: JM72

toxicfox

Addicted
Aug 15, 2010
I can try and find out. I do hope they start up the basin poma so the chair can run at normal speed. Lots of people arriving to the lodges this weekend.
There is a new general manager in the village this season. Lachlan and Rachel have gone.

Reactions: M&ME

teleroo

<\unencrypted>
Ski Pass
Jun 19, 2019
Illawarra
Staff may well be doing it a bit tough there right now, so be gentle on them. It has been a tough season for them in some ways. You could validly conclude that staff levels have been adjusted to suit the new visitation regime, as has happened at Perisher. But it has more impact in a smaller place. If you are skiing there this winter, post-covid, enjoy the good conditions, be grateful and be cool. Believe me, decisions were made to allow continued operation of the resort.

For what it is worth, I'd say that CP is probably heavily reliant on the longer duration visitors (less day trippers/weekenders) which in turn are problably more heavily skewed to the locked down areas. So the hit to visitation has been big.

toxicfox

Addicted
Aug 15, 2010
The new manager is great, the staff are working hard but there was an issue which shook thing up big time. All getting sorted so they are doing the best they can at the moment and just having the resort open is a miracle.

Hang in there folks.
You seem to know more than the rest of us ? Care to share. ?

overcast and windy today. Snow is slower than yesterday. Chair on wind hold which is totally acceptable. The basin poma is now running :thumbs:for the beginners. Guthrie’s hasn’t opened yet.:nono: and the tbar is feels like it’s on life support. But we are here. And I wish the rest of my friends in lockdown could be here as well.

Last edited:

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
The new manager is great, the staff are working hard but there was an issue which shook thing up big time. All getting sorted so they are doing the best they can at the moment and just having the resort open is a miracle.

Hang in there folks.
What I hear about how hard staff are working is downright dangerous. One experienced groomer and one new hire. The experienced groomer hasn't had a night off so far this season.

toxicfox

Addicted
Aug 15, 2010
Chair is open on slow and the basin poma has shut. Should be better up higher. Like glue at the bottom of the hill. No Guthrie’s today.

Reactions: Alleve

Tree Breaker Bob

One of Us
Jul 19, 2006
Dalmeny South Coast NSW
Maybe if only half the lifts are running, half the time then we may get a 50% discount next year :p where’s lol when you need it
No real walking uphill for me as out of the blue I have developed a health issue, however there is only one other thing apart from powder skiing that will push my limits

Reactions: cornice11

citizenkane

Hard Yards
Oct 18, 2017
its embarassing

toxicfox

Addicted
Aug 15, 2010
Don’t know but there were plenty of regular CP skiers and boarders complaining yesterday about the go slow.
So the chair ran on full speed yesterday and they had the basin poma running for the beginners at the same time. Smart move by the mountain. :thumbs::thumbs:It was an average morning with r*#n about which cleared by lunchtime.

Reactions: Fozzie Bear

toxicfox

Addicted
Aug 15, 2010
What I hear about how hard staff are working is downright dangerous. One experienced groomer and one new hire. The experienced groomer hasn't had a night off so far this season.
Didge might not have had a day off yet this season but I think he groomed the entire hill last night. A massive effort as it was frozen lumps after yesterday’s wet snow. Photos to come.
Should be a good week if you can make it here.
Base looks good and if the resort can run all lifts through the September school holidays those who had to cancel will get some spring skiing in.

toxicfox

Addicted
Aug 15, 2010
A great first day for the season. Shame the Poma didn’t run for longer.
E19EC969-5681-4D68-8D15-E240CBF2ED57.jpeg
325E3DB0-2089-4202-8BE0-CC29F5BD4F7B.jpeg
^^This.
if you are saying it’s a cost saving measure to keep the resort open that’s fair enough. BUT the poma has only opened 3 of 7 days in the past week. It has to be run longer on those good snow days. There is a fantastic video on the cpsr fb page of the back bowl last Friday but after yesterday’s rain it won’t be skiable until the next dump.

Mountain ops are at Guthrie’s now doing some work so it’s fingers crossed for today. That new lift can’t come soon enough (subject to regulatory approval)
:deadhorse:

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
You seem to know more than the rest of us ? Care to share. ?

overcast and windy today. Snow is slower than yesterday. Chair on wind hold which is totally acceptable. The basin poma is now running :thumbs:for the beginners. Guthrie’s hasn’t opened yet.:nono: and the tbar is feels like it’s on life support. But we are here. And I wish the rest of my friends in lockdown could be here as well.
It's my job. I work with most ski resorts in the country and NZ.

Reactions: Alleve and jrr

Tree Breaker Bob

One of Us
Jul 19, 2006
Dalmeny South Coast NSW
Tin pot operation.
I believe the Blyton Group is worth over $700 million, but I am sure Kevin wants CP to return a profit at the end of the day (or season) Probably not one of his better acquisitions and is suited to lifestyle really. I certainly wouldn't like to have to make a profit out of it, own it sure but as a retirement plan (money) it would be at least a Z

toxicfox

Addicted
Aug 15, 2010
I believe the Blyton Group is worth over $700 million, but I am sure Kevin wants CP to return a profit at the end of the day (or season) Probably not one of his better acquisitions and is suited to lifestyle really. I certainly wouldn't like to have to make a profit out of it, own it sure but as a retirement plan (money) it would be at least a Z
Made a profit for previous owners

It's my job. I work with most ski resorts in the country and NZ.
Is that an answer ?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass