Charlottes Pass 2021. Trip Reports, Pics, Updates and Conditions.

toxicfox

Addicted
Aug 15, 2010
well. The chair was on slow again today. Tbar closed at 3pm. Basin poma was closed. Guthrie’s opened for 3 hrs. It was hard packed groomers all day and sunshine with no wind.
$2 Tuesday is sold out so it won’t look like this. they intend running the chair at half speed and will not be opening the basin poma. Unless they keep Guthrie’s shut for the day.
68098AB3-A8C1-4396-8698-1FA9777D4FA5.jpeg

• Sad
Reactions: Alleve and skifree

toxicfox

Addicted
Aug 15, 2010
About 10cm of heavy wet snow overnight and still coming down. 30cm drifts up top. No Guthrie’s today. It says on the website the basin poma is open which it’s not but the tbar and chair on half speed are running. Winds were light at top station. Gusts to 35kmh. But typically its swirling around the village at greater speeds. (This was from ski patrol at 9am)
The winds could have picked up a bit by now. Tomorrow should be good. And there will be heaps left when September rolls around for those in Sydney. Anyone who can travel should try and get to their lodge as most are doing low season rates for the peak season level of service. Kevin is still charging full peak season rates and lift times are reduced but we need the lodges to remain viable.
E106DC8A-A207-4D0A-96DB-E93031C1F4B9.jpeg
42CBACE2-5348-47E0-8CE1-0480EE27D7E3.jpeg

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
About 10cm of heavy wet snow overnight and still coming down. 30cm drifts up top. No Guthrie’s today. It says on the website the basin poma is open which it’s not but the tbar and chair on half speed are running. Winds were light at top station. Gusts to 35kmh. But typically its swirling around the village at greater speeds. (This was from ski patrol at 9am)
The winds could have picked up a bit by now. Tomorrow should be good. And there will be heaps left when September rolls around for those in Sydney. Anyone who can travel should try and get to their lodge as most are doing low season rates for the peak season level of service. Kevin is still charging full peak season rates and lift times are reduced but we need the lodges to remain viable.

Think any trip I will be able to make will be post season. Can't see Sydney lockdown ending before October LWE.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: jrr

citizenkane

Hard Yards
Oct 18, 2017
but less customers = less problems, right?

Reactions: cornice11

toxicfox

Addicted
Aug 15, 2010
but less customers = less problems, right?
Maybe that’s the future. My job sure would be easier if I didn’t have to deal with paying customers.

The wind did pick up a bit after lunch (70kmh + gusts at the top) And the snow has kept up. they opened the basin poma maybe because they switched from the carpet which was buried after the lunchtime closure. Guthrie’s didn’t open today But will be better tomorro. The tbar was last rides at 2:50pm and the chair was on slow all day. Snow remained heavy but plenty of people about having a good time.

Not much point in giving more updates if fozzie is right. It’s business as usual here. Despite every lodge asking for the chair to be run on regular speed when possible and have the basin poma open for beginners at the same time it’s just not going to happen. Same with the tbar closing at 3pm while the chair turns on half speed till 4pm regardless of the weather. With all skiers directed to the chair for that last hour on slow you can get about 160 seconds of downhill skiing done in those 4 rides.
We have been assured it’s a safety issue and not a financial one.

For the people who are actually paying for their family to come here for one weeks holiday they deserve better. Most pre booked packages and paid in advance. They have a very different perspective to someone who works in the industry and has a season pass.

Im still yet to hear of anyone who has got a refund from covid cancelled trips up to 4 weeks ago.?

I still love the place and all the young people who work here are doing the best they can but 2021 really is “An onsnow experience like no other “

Reactions: skifree

Fozzie Bear

Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
lel...... @toxicfox still better you than me. You got to ski this year, we won't get down at all. And yes, some of the things that happen, you do have to wonder if KB is actually Basil Fawlty. For all that, we put up with it and keep on come back because we still reckon it is better than Perisher or Thredbo. To me, the only place in Oz that come close to the feel of CP would be Falls Creek.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

toxicfox

Addicted
Aug 15, 2010
lel...... @toxicfox still better you than me. You got to ski this year, we won't get down at all. And yes, some of the things that happen, you do have to wonder if KB is actually Basil Fawlty. For all that, we put up with it and keep on come back because we still reckon it is better than Perisher or Thredbo. To me, the only place in Oz that come close to the feel of CP would be Falls Creek.
We are members in a lodge at falls creek. Might have to check that out next year

citizenkane

Hard Yards
Oct 18, 2017
Maybe that’s the future. My job sure would be easier if I didn’t have to deal with paying customers.

The wind did pick up a bit after lunch (70kmh + gusts at the top) And the snow has kept up. they opened the basin poma maybe because they switched from the carpet which was buried after the lunchtime closure. Guthrie’s didn’t open today But will be better tomorro. The tbar was last rides at 2:50pm and the chair was on slow all day. Snow remained heavy but plenty of people about having a good time.

Not much point in giving more updates if fozzie is right. It’s business as usual here. Despite every lodge asking for the chair to be run on regular speed when possible and have the basin poma open for beginners at the same time it’s just not going to happen. Same with the tbar closing at 3pm while the chair turns on half speed till 4pm regardless of the weather. With all skiers directed to the chair for that last hour on slow you can get about 160 seconds of downhill skiing done in those 4 rides.
We have been assured it’s a safety issue and not a financial one.

For the people who are actually paying for their family to come here for one weeks holiday they deserve better. Most pre booked packages and paid in advance. They have a very different perspective to someone who works in the industry and has a season pass.

Im still yet to hear of anyone who has got a refund from covid cancelled trips up to 4 weeks ago.?

I still love the place and all the young people who work here are doing the best they can but 2021 really is “An onsnow experience like no other “
agreed

Coutta

Hard Yards
Jul 24, 2002
Sydney
We had 3 rooms booked at Lucy Lodge from this Sunday for 5 nights, but due to the Sydney lockdown we'll have to postpone. We've tried multiple times to get in contact with anyone about the booking but haven't had a response.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what we should do? The booking is for 3 rooms.

This is pretty poor form from the resort to not respond at all. I know they must be getting plenty of requests, but you really shouldn't leave paying customers hanging like this!!

Fozzie Bear

Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
We had 3 rooms booked at Lucy Lodge from this Sunday for 5 nights, but due to the Sydney lockdown we'll have to postpone. We've tried multiple times to get in contact with anyone about the booking but haven't had a response.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what we should do? The booking is for 3 rooms.

This is pretty poor form from the resort to not respond at all. I know they must be getting plenty of requests, but you really shouldn't leave paying customers hanging like this!!

Charlotte Pass (Blyton Group) have been super slack on responding to refund requests; I've been waiting almost 3 weeks for a second response to a season pass credit request.

Tree Breaker Bob

One of Us
Jul 19, 2006
Dalmeny South Coast NSW
Nice morning on snow, all lifts running including Guthries and it’s after 1pm. Signs not there. Sorry no magic carpet

Evidently there were a lot of complaints about lift closures last week, who would’ve thought

Snow quite good but crusty off groomed, Wow I have never seen so many tracks down the back face onto the incoming road when we finally got in yesterday

Overcast with sunny breaks, just hoping the altitude saves us

toxicfox

Addicted
Aug 15, 2010
Lift closures and reduced hours have been a theme for many weeks. Happy that you are getting the goods. Lots of complaints and suggestions but they seem determined to reinvent the wheel.
perhaps it was @Telemark Phat pointing out that the signs are a breach of ACCC code that did the trick. Before that head of Blyton Group Josh ? was saying lifts are running normally. Enjoy the week and be nice to the lifties

toxicfox

Addicted
Aug 15, 2010

Lucy Lodge shut down after the first lockdown. I think guests were being moved into stillwell lodge. Great pizza and nice lunches. CPSR have put on someone to deal with emails last week I heard.
I don’t want to make a suggestion but we used to call the lodges on a Friday night to check everyone was ready to go out on the weekend.
They have our postcodes and telephone numbers, maybe start calling customers that are incoming to see if they are in lockdown and unable to travel.

Rabid K9

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 15, 2008
Very reluctantly cancelled our Charlottes booking for end of the month today (along with Wet Tropics), was hoping we could make it, but seems to be trickier by the day.

Not sure if we'll get refund or credit with KH.

More salt in wounds is travel to Northern Territory is near on-snow prices anyway, for a dusty crocodile infused furnace.

• Sad
Reactions: skifree

Tree Breaker Bob

One of Us
Jul 19, 2006
Dalmeny South Coast NSW
So, the word was passed around @3.30 pm Sat, you’re out by 5pm or locked in with no lifts
Frantic packing and assembly at the Chalet, no pick up from lodges

People who had had some alcohol or just driven down were also pushed out with only home to go to

Thredbo and Perisher got exemptions and people were allowed to stay overnight and leave Sat morning. Take note CPV a lot safer option than putting people on the road when your tired and possibly alcohol impaired, (of course that wouldn’t be me) not to mention heaps of kangaroos and wallies as by the time we got out of the tube it was 7pm and the trip across to Dalgety, down Brown mountain etc saw lots of wildlife, at least it wasn’t wet

On a positive note a fabulous week was had, even a little bit of fresh snow was had and I did get to ski toxic’s bowl (with Martin although he beat me to first tracks in the bowl) and Sago’s Chute (possible new name)

Treebreaker

Last edited:

citizenkane

Hard Yards
Oct 18, 2017
So, the word was passed around @3.30 pm Sat, you’re out by 5pm or locked in with no lifts
Frantic packing and assembly at the Chalet, no pick up from lodges

People who had had some alcohol or just driven down where also pushed out with only home to go to

Thredbo and Perisher got exemptions and people were allowed to stay overnight and leave Sat morning. Take note CPV a lot safer option than putting people on the road when your tired and possibly alcohol impaired, (of course that wouldn’t be me) not to mention heaps of kangaroos and wallies as by the time we got out of the tube it was 7pm and the trip across to Dalgety, down Brown mountain etc saw lots of wildlife, at least it wasn’t wet

On a positive note a fabulous week was had, even a little bit of fresh snow was had and I did get to ski toxic’s bowl (with Martin although he beat me to first tracks in the bowl) and Sago’s Chute (possible new name)

Treebreaker
small but big difference. the word was that only staff were allowed to stay in village or lodges, no guests even for safety reasons.

Sago

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jun 29, 2001
Corunna Lake. NSW
Hi Bob,
Glad you got to get up to CP.
Must say do like the name of the chute. It was always a race to get to the bowl and chute first.
Thankyou for posting that photo, brings back some great memories.
Maybe next year I can time it to do a day trip when your up there.
Otherwise I'll catch you at Dalmeny, most likely at the IGA.
S

Reactions: Tree Breaker Bob

citizenkane

Hard Yards
Oct 18, 2017
We were given the option of staying, tough choice as we had our own personal chef but if lockdown continues then could have been a problem for us
not to argue but I got told very bluntly what I commented before. it hasn't effected me other than seeing many customers treated poorly. anyway it was a really nice week beforehand as u say. lot of lines were ridden that are often not.

• Sad
Reactions: Sago

BrockF

Hard Yards
May 24, 2006
Sydney
IMHO I think they were keen to shut and stop bleeding money

Will be interesting to see if they reopen if lockdowns ease
How are they bleeding money? They haven’t even responded to any refund or credit requests let alone processed any or offered credits. Very different to the other resorts!

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi
How are they bleeding money? They haven’t even responded to any refund or credit requests let alone processed any or offered credits. Very different to the other resorts!
I concur,been into office twice requesting refund on overcharge, still no response.

• Angry

Tree Breaker Bob

One of Us
Jul 19, 2006
Dalmeny South Coast NSW
Apologies guys didn’t realise CPV was being difficult, I also bet there will be no discounts on the head lease from NPWS or lodge fees from CPV. I know our lodge has refunded booking money
What concerns me is how many more lodges will be unable to pay and will become acquired by the Blyton group

• Angry
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass