1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Cheap accommodation at or around Hotham

Discussion in 'Hotham & Dinner Plain' started by Noah, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Noah

Noah Hard Yards

Hi all, just wanted any advice on cheap accommodation at or around Hotham? I've got a family of four and we'd be looking at accommodation options for the nsw school holidays and probably one other trip later in the season. I'm trying to work out whether to get a thredbo pass or the Epic one. Thredbo has the YHA, Falls has Howmans just wondering if there's any equivalent at Hotham? Also nearby accommodation is also possible and harrietville seems best option for off the mountain, but a lot of mentions of the road being unreliable. Looked at Dinner Plain options and it all looked pretty expensive there. Thanks for your assistance.

2. Fancy_Pants

Fancy_Pants Hard Yards

Look into club lodges for good value.

And road can be unreliable if it’s dumping

Born2skii and nezumi like this.
  3. Tanuki

Tanuki A Local Ski Pass: Gold

September rates for club lodges are about as 'cheap' as it gets at Hotham. You can book room (not beds) at quite a few lodges.

skiflat, Born2skii and nezumi like this.
  4. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

also maybe look at omeo. road is much less likely to be shut, and an easier drive anyway.

dr80 and Mister Tee on XC Skis like this.
  5. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Maybe try for a room at Valhalla ski club, very kid friendly and well located.

6. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

.Omeo is not that far away and it is an easier drive.Snow camping and parking at JB Plain/JB Hut (Near Dinner Plain ) are both free. Green valley Camping at Victoria Falls near Omeo is free. BYO Fire wood and drinking water for both locations.
    Parking and XC skiing at Big Spur at Hotham 's groomed XC ski trails ( within the Hot Ham on toast with cheese resort boundaries) is free after 1505 (3.05 pm ) until dusk everyday. In Spring if there is enough snow then that means you could come up from Victoria Falls , ski at Dinner plain and surrounds for free [parking at JB plain, Mother Johnson's picnic area and Dinner Plain permitting (no charge) ] .Plus for two hours XC ski for free at Big Spur 's ski trails( higher elevation = more snow) and drive back to your green campsite at Victoria Falls without having to drive too much in the dark .

7. Noah

Noah Hard Yards

Thanks for all the advice. Omeo looks a good option. Is there a place where you can stay to get to both Gotham and falls. There's a road from omeo but Google says it closes in winter.

8. Mister Tee on XC Skis

The road to Falls from Omeo is shut during white season. To get to Falls from Omeo in ski season is a big round trip via Hot Ham sandwich down to Bright , over Tawonga Gap and out to Mt. Beauty and up to Falls Creek. It is not worth it. Dinner Plain to Hot Ham has a lot of XC, BC and lifted terrain that will keep you amused for a week. I XC ski that area every season and go home quite the happy chappy . I do love XC skiing the Bogong High Plains but that is starting at Falls Creek. Choose one place and ski it to death. If you would rather ski at Falls then stay in Mt. Beauty , Bogong Village or at Howman's Gap.

Noah likes this.
  9. Xplora

Xplora One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Check this out https://www.omeocaravanpark.com.au/accommodation/stay/14-deluxe-cabin/
    I can't say what they are like now but I have stayed there many years ago, before I lived in the area, and they were good for a family on a budget. Clean and well appointed. Not many places to eat out in Omeo so self contained is good. If you go to one of the pubs then make it the Golden Age. The Hilltop is the local's pub and can get a bit rough. Strangest thing when you walk in there and everyone turns to look at you and stops talking.

Hope the kids don't get car sick. I have a friend who gets car sick while she is driving the Omeo Hwy. Omeo is about 3 hours from Albury and the road best done in daylight.

Noah likes this.
  10. currawong

omeo is no good for falls in winter. the quickest way would be via Hotham. if you want to protect against hotham road closures and ski falls, you would be best to change base locations during the holiday, e.g. a few days at omeo then move to mt beauty, skiing at Hotham on the way.
    in good weather there is a helicopter service between Hotham and falls but very expensive

Noah and Mister Tee on XC Skis like this.
  11. Noah

Noah Hard Yards

Thanks all. Yeah that advice makes sense about moving places to ski the two resorts. They're just so geographically close I thought there'd be an in-between place.

12. Noah

Noah Hard Yards

Skiain likes this.
  13. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

There is, it's a town called Bright.

Skiain and skiflat like this.
  14. currawong

but it doesn't protect you from harrietville approach closures.
    you can stay in Bright and drive a long way every day to either Hotham or Falls. If the road to Hotham is closed, the road to Falls will probably be ok - but if it's a weekend the carparks at Falls may fill up by the time you get there.
    There is no magic answer that covers all eventualities

15. Mister Tee on XC Skis

If you are fit, can XC ski well and are experienced and have your own 4 x 4 or AWD, chains and a chain saw you can drive up to Trap Yard Gap where the Omeo to Falls road is closed. BC XC People do ski in from there and BC XC tour the Bogong High Plains. If you are a resort based skier then do not try this.
    Others have been known to hike in from Shannonvale with full winter camping and ski touring packs ( Omeo side of Falls Creek/ Bogong High Plains) to Fitzgerald's hut via Kelly's track. The same applies for more resort based skiers, this is not for BC newbies.
    Omeo has the most reliable approach to Dinner Plain and Hot Ham. If there is a big snow fall then the Road to Hot Ham from Harrietville is sometimes closed. It is a pleasant town too, not very trendy and touristy like Bright is.

16. Xplora

What's with all the camping advice? It is pretty obvious the OP is looking for hard roof, family accommodation. This would be about as useful to them as an ashtray on a motorbike and the advice is not solid anyway. BHP road during NSW school holidays would mean a lot of walking on bitumen from Trapyard Gap and at least 5km booting it uphill on Kellys track before skis are on. When there is snow on BHP road you may find a bunch of the extremely 'experienced', 15 year old first timers from Mittagundi making tracks along it will full packs.

17. mr

mr Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

i wouldnt be stressing about the road too much this time of year. Harrietville campground has decent, budget cabins for families. We usually stay on mountain but sometimes stay h-ville on the night-before, or if im just with one kid

nezumi likes this.
  18. mr

While the hotham road may have its moments, we reckon the Falls' creek road from mt beauty up is one of the pukiest in Australia. Something about the lack of horizon, the regularity of the bends. more projectiles on that road than any others IMO

art likes this.
  19. currawong

I thought OP was skiing about July school hols and later. agree that chance of road closure in sept hols is pretty low. chance in july is much higher

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  20. Xplora

And there is also the van park near the Tawonga Gap Road. It has good cabins as well. Plenty of options.

21. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Considering a road trip next week. Recommendations for on snow (or easy walk) accom? Also does Hotham have easy xc trails nearby? Keen to keep practising.

22. mr

shirtloads of tracks from hotham - DP with full cover. Stay at davenport. We like pegasus or peninsula or players, all in Davenport, direct access to xc. Christmas hills are also close...down near wire plain or slateys

23. chicski

I’d be mainly resort skiing, xc is a newly learning skill as an aside.

24. mr

ok but then still stay at davenport and fool around there on your skinnies, after a day on the fatties.

chicski likes this.
  25. mr

theres enough xc trails within davenport, or if you are brave down past the poo farm to the skiiers x-ing, then bus it or choof back up

26. currawong

eumeralla was good when we stayed there. @cqen2l can tell you more.
    the village shuttle goes to write plain which is the area. you can also head out from the top of heavenly valley

27. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

For Omeo I can recommend Omeo Motel - Its good for weekends and trip up & down Hotham via Gippsland or say Tallangata.

They look after you well, its clean & tidy not fancy.

But I wouldn't do it for a week/5 day midweek.

Its an an hour to DP & an easyish road but too much travel for a family for several days.

Check rates at Currawong Lodge at DP - used it several times in 90s-00s & was good!

Just not sure if its running these days??
    Anyone??

https://omeomotel.business.site/

28. stansi

stansi One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

snowgum likes this.
  29. chicski

Yeah nup. I want my own room and bathroom and food thanks.

SuskiQ likes this.
  30. chicski

I could also end up flying somewhere warm. Options open at the moment.

Ozgirl likes this.
  31. Xplora

You must drive slow. An hour to Hotham is pretty easy from Omeo and I would still call that slow. More like 30 min to DP and 40 to Hotham if road is not icy or snowy. Nothing wrong with slow driving. Getting there safe is most important.

32. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

My 10 year old is a puker. - so yes on the slow & careful side for v good reason!

Perhaps I am overstating a tad but for newer peeps I think rounding up is safer/kinder!

A lot of DINKs & SINKs here race up to the hills without knowing the ‘pleasures’ of family travels.

Like needing 3 sets of ski clothes between Arrowtown & Cardrona creche - (not nappy issues either!)

But so we dont scare the horses, the Omeo - DP/MH rd would probably be the least scary, hairy, pukey mtn access rd in Vic & I’m including Lake Mtn in that list.

Seth likes this.
  33. Xplora

Not too many tight turns on that road. More like a NSW approach. We did it at least 3 times a week one winter when working at DP. I am happy for people to drive slow if they are not confident in the conditions or on the road. Also happy for them to pull over when needed. I also understand being car sick but do not see that to be a problem on this section, as you say.

34. mr

that road is fascinating study in driver behaviour......some doing 10kmh with chains, others 80 without them on the weekend

as you say though, easy road to pullover on

35. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Im a bit worried now!

Im not that slow! In a Kluger they haul (excuse the horse!)

I probably sit 80-90s at the Omeo end & 60-80 before the snowline.

I’m v respectful of need to Pull over for conga lines but also slowing for ice & snow.

Have had 2-3 saved slides & fishtails downhill on the Harietville side that really taught me to respect the road & general environment.

Old not bold!!

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  36. cqen2l

cqen2l Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

PMed @chicski thanks @currawong :thumbs:

currawong and chicski like this.
  37. Mister Tee on XC Skis

The Dinner Plain to Hot Ham XC ski trail is a must do for me every season.Paw Paw Plain is fabulous and the descending curving XC black run that drops down from there is great to ski on.

The Plowking likes this.
  38. Noah

Noah Hard Yards

These Vic roads sound interesting. I'm guessing with my prado on city tyres I'd still need chains in slick conditions? Excuse the newbie question but do you do 4 tyre chains for a 4wd? If so, that sucks, I hate tyre chains.Cold hands, side of the cold highway, people happily speeding past and the slopes waiting. But I get it's much better getting there eventually than slipping off the road. On another question to do with that, I spent a little time in America as a kid and there'd be heaps of snow and ice on the roads and my mother, who is a terrible driver (sorry mum), would drive around in a little 2wd corolla. How does that work? Here we have 4wds needing chains for much less snow and ice.

39. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

There is a fair bit of alarmism about tyre chains, some people seem to enjoy getting others worried. But at this time of year it is fairly unlikely you will need to fit them. Yes it can snow at any time of year, but from mid September it is unlikely that many roads will be covered with drifts of snow or be heavily iced up.

Motorists are required to carry chains on most mountain roads from Queens Birthday Weekend to mid October, but it is fairly unlikely that you will need to fit them. If there is a little snow or ice on the road, just drive calmly at a slower speed and you should be fine, especially if you are in a 4WD. :)

Skiain likes this.
  40. Xplora

+1 to what Bogong said. And @snowgum, you are not slow. I take it back (although I was only joking about that). A great deal of the road just west of Omeo is now 80 because of the fatalities in that section. I also slow down once higher up. There are a couple of icy corners. It is just common sense to not drive at your vehicles limit, or your own.

Snow tyres are very common in snow affected countries. Metal studs in the tyres help with traction and then another set of tyres for when it is not snowy. Now, you can buy them here as well but is there any real point if you are not constantly driving on snow? And you only need chains on two wheels. Must be drive wheels and best on the front if they can be fitted there.

And yet people still stop in the middle of the road to adjust chains or fit them. Another good reason for the rest to slow down a bit also. If people are that dumb then they are likely not aware that others are still using the road and could get run over.

41. Seth

Seth Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

LOL Yeah. We had to stop five times getting home yesterday with the kids. Luckily no spew this time (copped it on the way up instead), but then lunch, petrol, toilet (2.5 yo), dinner, milk (for the baby, cracking it) then finally get home.

Good times.

FatBoyDave, skiflat and snowgum like this.
  42. The Plowking

The Plowking Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Yuk

cqen2l likes this.
  43. The Plowking

The Plowking Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Pull your head in!
    Just Crazy Talk.

44. chicski

Well Qld is out :eek:

Does Hotham have any catered lodges? Taking my own sheets and towels does not appeal.

45. mr

Pegasus you get breakfast food and many self catering staples for lunches / dinner and can hire linen.

46. currawong

Not aware of any cheap ones. However in sept there should be some big discounts. Probably best to ring up reservation agencies and see what they've got.

47. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Kids take ages. Impossible to appreciate til one has them!

Gets better though - one learns to how & when to travel to minimise issues, esp puking!! (Poor old Baw Baw!)

Then there's the age where kids start resisting going away at all! In our case @ 10 yrs!

So enjoy the 1-2 year sweet spot folks!
    (You’ll know when you're past it!)

48. Xplora

I have one grandchild that gets carsick but I have discovered it is caused by the driver - my son in law. I took them all to Mt. Beauty and back over the mountain in the 7 seater Peugeot and not one puke. Leaving here up the Omeo Hwy with him driving and it only took 20 minutes. I get car sick terribly but it all depends on who is driving.

currawong likes this.
  49. currawong

Yep, easy on the pedals, smooth and wide into the curves. Better life for your tyres and brakes too

50. mr

we stick our puker in the front seat. no screens kids