1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Childcare costs - US/Canadian resorts

Discussion in 'Passport' started by looseygoosey, Dec 1, 2011.

1. looseygoosey

looseygoosey First Runs

Can someone please tell me how much we are looking at for childcare in the US/ Canadian resorts? Got a 1 and 2 y/o and would like to have them looked after during ski hours so the +1 and I can hit the slopes.

A rough guide of peoples experiences is fine please. Looking at a Fernie/Big Sky/JH trip next year. If its too pricey will just take turns looking after them (if we go in a group) or bring the mother in law.

Thanks guys!

2. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I hope this doesn't sound unhelpful, but I have been looking at the same issue on and off for and while and the best place to start are the resort websites. They all have prices for the daycare services they offer so you can compare.

3. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

Best idea is to look at the resort websites since childcare prices can vary between resorts, and some resorts won't look after really young children.
    Fernie only starts from 18month olds, $CAD67.95 per day(per child)
    http://www.skifernie.com/news-and-info/childcare.aspx
    Big Sky starts from 6 months old, $USD 100 per day.(per child)
    http://www.bigskyresort.com/Family/Daycare.asp
    Jackson Hole from 6 months old, $USD 130 per day (per child)
    http://www.jacksonhole.com/lessons-guides/kids/kids-wrangler-daycare.html

We've been taking our kids on ski trips since they were 6 months old, they're now 5 yrs and 2 yrs old. We tend to do a lot of tag team skiing (swap over at lunch) and then put them in childcare for a few days so the wife and I can have a ski together.
    Another option is you could organise a nanny to come to your unit and look after the kids. We did this while in Tahoe last year and found it a better option since we didn't have to pack the kids up and take them into the childcare and it also worked out more cost effective with two children.

#3 Born2ski, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  4. looseygoosey

looseygoosey First Runs

Thanks. A nanny is a good idea - if in place for 2 weeks you could probably hire a nanny for the period 8-4.30 for around $500 per week I guess (judging by the quick google I just did).

Cheers

5. mattyana

mattyana First Runs

If you want to go to Fernie it may be booked out already, we booked 4 months ago and there weren't many places left for our dates 2/1/12 - 19/1/12 for our 18 month old and 4 YO. Better email and check soon is my advice.We're also going to Whistler over Xmas NY and they have places left.

6. StuckinQld

StuckinQld One of Us

We went through Jackson hole babysitting for our 2 weeks in Jackson hole. We had the same girl for 11 days over this time. She was really flexible and would have our 10 month old every day, then every 2nd day have the 3 year old who couldnt manage consecutive ski days. They charged $18usd/ hr. Basically it was going to be the same price as daycare for one child, but every other day she would have 2 at that same price. She would meet up with us for lunch or we would go back to the condo, and she could pick up miss 3 from ski school if we were running late. She also stayed later one day so we went out to dinner. It was certainly my preference and worked really well for us. 10 month old stuck to his regular sleep, had the same carer and wasn't exposed to different kids and their ailments every day.

7. Crystal

Crystal Sand skier extraordinaire Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

We have had a nanny nearly everytime we holiday in the States or Canada and even japan, have also used the resort childcare on occassions. Silver star and Big White childcare is sensational and very flexible. Sunpeaks is also very good and lots of fun for the children. A couple of times I sourced a nanny through word of mouth before we got there, but more often than not we got one in the first few days at the resort. All resorts have a baby sitter list and you can contact the girls and ask about doing a long term thing for you. Also some younger girls at the ski school can do longer term things for you. Another place to check is the childcare...just drop in and chat, casually mention how long you will be there etc. Also heading out for lunch and dinners in the first few days helps as often retail staff are paid crap and would take leave to look after your childen instead. So be charming, just casually drop comments about length of stay remember when you book someone longer term (2 weeks) you can negotiate cheaper rates.

Oh and re-reading your post JH childcare and kids ski school is sensational....but can add up, so you could do alternate days maybe. fernie is also very good and much cheaper rates than the states. In general Canada is cheaper (maybe even half) than the States for childcare/ski school. In Canada there are only a few resorts that take children under 18mnths old so remember to check that out. Also you will need to take copies of imunisation etc.....so make sure you get the details off the resort website before you go so you are not stuck.