1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Chile 2019

Discussion in 'Less Travelled' started by LDJ, Apr 14, 2019.

1. LDJ

LDJ One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

My dad (70) has decided he wants to do bucket trip to Chile this year from UK. Me and my wife will fly from Brisbane to meet him. I have skied 3Vs when backpacking South America but wanted to see if anyone had any advice on whether June or July was better or dates to avoid? Is it easiest to hire car at Santiago and drive to 3Vs and then Portillo? Is the driving tricky?Thinking 4 days in 3Vs and 4 in Portillo

2. parkmonkey

parkmonkey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I'd be going later, like here June might not even have snow on the ground. I was driven up in the dark Santi to the 3v, spent the next 6weeks hitching the 16kms up to the resort, i didn't come down till the spring and that was a scary enough drive without snow on the road seeing it in day light, there are plenty of white crosses staked along the side of the road.
    Not to make that sound to dramatic I think others have stayed in Santi and driven up each day.

You can get accommodation and transfers between the resorts, one chick i met there was on a setup where she was skiing the 3v resorts and getting driven from the hostel to each resort for the day then being taken to Portillo for a few days

Zeroz and Zimbooo like this.
  3. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

The later the better.
    Problem with July is school / university holidays are from 15th to 26th in Chile 2019.
    So if you can swing it to arrive late July and be on Mountain from Monday July 29th it would be best.
    You'd want to hire a 4WD which will cost about $1k for 2 weeks if you want to self drive, or sit back and let someone else drive you between Santiago / 3V / Portillo / Santiago. Plenty of shuttle options. Here's one for starters. https://www.kladventure.com/ski-shuttle-service/

parkmonkey and Jacko4650 like this.
  4. LDJ

I like the sound of someone else driving as I like Chilean Red wine and realistically I’m normally knackered on skiing holidays. I’ll look into going later last week of July/1st week august

parkmonkey and Zimbooo like this.
  5. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

LATAM has some great deals too atm. $1050Aus return from Brisbane.

6. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

You'll see that transportation from the airport directly to the mountains is super expensive where ever you look. (international skiing suckers, well not really as its to do with transportation protectionism from the airport into Santiago).
    The best plan is to get yourselves into Santiago, stay at hotel of choice, check out the city etc., then transport up to the mountains from your hotel. It's much more economical (as long as everyone wants to check out Santiago). Saturdays are bad days to take the Regular shuttle services as they are the most popular with local newbies, so they stop at the rental shops for ages to fit them out with rental gear before heading up. Regular shuttles otherwise are normally good value.

7. essjaywhy

essjaywhy One of Us

LdJ unless the Super C is on mid/ late season and you are targetting it, then 1 day at Portillo may be enough, theres only about 3 groomers. Dramatic landscape, but a hugely overrated resort.
    TV has a lot more variety , ambience, options . Enjoy

8. LDJ

Super C would have been on dads radar 20yrs ago but probably too tricky at that altitude now for him. Given Portillo is around 4hrs (according to the omnipotent google) from 3Vs to Portillo would you say it’s worth going for 1-2 days or just stay on 3Vs and ski the different resorts there?

9. LDJ

any recommendations on how to do 1 day at Portillo? Would that be a private transfer from Santiago for the day to Portillo and back? The hotel only seems to do 7 days or 4 days (a couple of times during season)

10. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

To be honest.....I wouldn't bother going for a day.
    Portillo's all about the hotel stay and very good side country skiing. An intermediate piste skier would get bored pretty quickly at Portillo as essjaywhy said.
    Its about a 2+ hour drive (in good weather) to get there from Santiago, so it would be a looooong day trip and not cheap.
    Transport alone would be close to $600 return for the 3 of you from Santiago (private tour).
    From my memory the shortest stay possible at Portillo hotel used to be 3 nights and cost about $200US per person for lodging, 3 meals a day, lift pass.....not sure about now.

Zeroz likes this.
  11. essjaywhy

essjaywhy One of Us

Yes Portillo Hotel does have min. stay periods of 4 days; if they are not fully booked from min. week packages.
    If Santiago hotels do Portillo day-trips then yes a long day out but its a unique landscape t o visit.
    Los Andes city nearby has cheaper accommo to multi day trip it .
    Depends on your hables espanol, and ease of comfort rating.

I enjoyed a week skiing variety from the TV hotels, but sleeping alt. 3000m for the first few nights was tuff.

Its desert alpine there, so track the coverage over the season. August safest bet. Portillo closed late august last year; then TV got big spring dumps to extend all Sept.

Watch for Condors.

12. Kletterer

Kletterer Thredbo Doughnut Tragic Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Guys. Could you please enlighten others that may be interested as to what the 3 V reference is.

13. parkmonkey

3 valleys, Valle Nevado, El Colorado, La Pava

LMB and Kletterer like this.
  14. LDJ

Probably going to do 2 days of sightseeing in Santiago at the end. Any recommendations as to best area to base ourselves? Won’t have car

15. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Anywhere in the city is ok - we found our way around using public transport, underground was easy.

Go here:
    https://santiagochile.com/cerro-santa-lucia/
    As if we hadn’t done enough exercise that trip! But man, I loved it. We also did an online walking tour - that was great. Gave us some direction but yet freedom to deviate.

Apart from the heli skiing (which Id do again in a heartbeat) - we only did one ski day - at Valle Nevado. I’d go back there again.

LDJ likes this.
  16. sastrugi

sastrugi At the centre of it all Ski Pass: Gold

We stayed here in Santiago, lovely hostel, beautiful old building. Great location, walked everywhere. Very reasonably priced, great breakfast in the courtyard. Bar onsite with delicious Pisco Sours (very important!). Highly recommended.

*I'm not a hostel kind of traveller, haven't stayed in one since the mid 90s but I'd stay here again in a heartbeat.

https://www.hostalrioamazonas.cl/?lang=en

[​IMG]

parkmonkey likes this.
  17. LDJ

Cool I’ll look that up. I’m all for places like this but dad might veto if I call it a hostel. Boutique b&b ;)

sastrugi likes this.
  18. sastrugi

Funnily enough, my dad booked it for he and I! (it was his 70th birthday trip too)
    Boutique B&B describes it well. It's overlooking a stunning old walled garden of the Argentinean Embassy. It's quite lovely.

d'girl likes this.
  19. Ozgirl

Ozgirl A Local Ski Pass: Gold

hey do, do 3 nights and 4 nights.

Go to the pricing section on their website - screenshot here.

I have flights booked departing 14th Sept. Trying to decide if I go alone or cancel...

#19 Ozgirl, Apr 26, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  20. LDJ

it’s only on certain dates a few times during the season and unfortunately we have relatively fixed-dates that don’t align to the mini-weeks.

21. LDJ

Chile is awesome and the locals are very friendly so I reckon you would have an epic time on your own. However snow can be non-existent or amazing in September so might be worth leaving it until later to see if you can to see how season pans out. I doing much more forward planning as dad is coming and he’s not so much about rolling with it.

22. Ozgirl

In this you said the hotel ONLY did 7 or 3, i was just clarifying/confirming Zimbooo's assertions.

23. PeterM

PeterM Hard Yards

All the busses from Santiago to Mendoza (and BA) go via Portillo.

24. LDJ

Ended up booking 6 nights in farellones and will just travel to the Tres Valles resorts on a day to day depending on conditions. Have 3 days in Santiago and will try a day or overnight trip to Portillo when we are there incase they have space. Thanks for the advice people I’ll report back in August with up to date info and advice

Zeroz, Zimbooo and parkmonkey like this.
  25. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Sounds awesome LDJ!

Please report in full on rtn - you may kickstart a few future trips??

Certainly on my bucket list!! ❄️⛷

26. parkmonkey

Somewhat, all good up in the mountains, one English girl I met in the hostel in Santiago had got used to bag snatches/robbed on the street during the day, I was genuinely told if I was held up by one person unarmed and thought I could take them to hold my ground, if two people tried to rob me to give them everything. I was with locals in Santiago 4 or more people (ex girlfriend and her friends) and picked out of the group by people begging or trying to sell shit. In Argentina at night my friends wouldn’t stop at red lights, roll up to the intersection and if clear just drive through.

My taxi driver dropped me off downtown Santiago in the evening with all my gear to met friends to take me up the mountain and he didn’t want to leave me there by myself, with no real spinish I could explain to him that I was being picked up by amigos to go up the hill

I never felt unsafe but carried my wallet in my front pocket of my jeans and anytime I stopped to cross the road or stop in a crowd would put my thumb in the pocket on the wallet, I met people who had bags stolen at the bus stations.

It really comes down to how you are travelling over there, I was in my mid 20’s and spent 2months over there, 6weeks skiing 2weeks in the city’s, hostels night clubs public transport. I had no trouble at all and an amazing time, the people I met were amazing and looked after me very well

Zimbooo likes this.
  27. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

Any big money, cards etc., in socks under arch, small amount in wallet to keep robber happy should it happen.
    I've been doing sth america for over 30 years with just a handful of hold ups. LOL
    Seriously thou, best thing is to be prepared (leave valuable wedding rings at home before travel) . Have some money in pocket, cheap phone and watch on the ready to keep em happy should it happen then get outta there, never try to fight off a robber with a pistol cause they will shoot 9 times out of 10.
    Shit happens on a much larger scale than here, however the other side is amazing.

essjaywhy and parkmonkey like this.
  28. sastrugi

Bloody dollar... we're finding Chilean Patagonia ridiculously expensive with a) Chile not being cheap in the first place b)everything quoted in USD and c)having to add 30% onto the cost of everything. I guess I was spoiled last time (2015) as I had good value USD (bought at 95c) and stayed on the Argentinean side of Patagonia so I didn't notice it so much. But many of the estancias, day horse riding and remote trekking are around $1,000 (AUD) a day. That's ridiculous!

We're happy to be doing self guided walks but will be restricted to refugios as we've decided we don't want to carry ALL the gear for a 3-week trip that is not all hiking. And you do need guides to head more remotely.

29. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

Yeah, I'd being heading to Argentina (and staying clear of the political protests on the street). Good value there ATM for OS travellers, not so for the Argentinians. Inflation rate is at around 35% ATM in Argentina. Ski for about $50Aus a day.

sastrugi likes this.
  30. sastrugi

And the interesting thing is with Argentina is that they've (apparently?) dissolved the blue market but the Arg peso is great value for our dollar. I've booked an incredible loft in San Telmo for our first 5 nights that's only just over $100 AU a night. Last time I only travelled on USD but will be exchanging some cash here for pesos soon. Most of our trip will be in Argentina but we're both wanting to visit Torres Del Paine.

Zimbooo likes this.
  31. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

I wouldn't be changing dollars to Pesos until necessary......ie the day / week you need it.
    The Pesos in your pocket this week, will continue to devalue and buy you less next week due to high inflation. They have seen 5% to 10% monthly devaluation of the currency on the street in the last 12 months.
    Edit: I've experience Hyper inflation in Brazil many years ago. Nobody carried cash, everyone paid for everything (even ice creams) with a cheque back in those days. $1 one day was worth .50 cents the next. Crazy.

#31 Zimbooo, May 16, 2019
    Last edited: May 16, 2019
    sastrugi likes this.
  32. sastrugi

Thanks for explaining this pretty clearly. I was only looking at AUS dollar value to the peso, not the actual valuation/inflation internally over there.

33. LDJ

Anyone have good recommendation for snow/weather forecast website for Chile. Will be there in 3 weeks and starting to track snow

34. Telestrom

Telestrom A Local

Not that it's always accurate, but snow-forecast.com is still useful.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

35. LDJ

Cheers @Telestrom. Holey crap wish I was hitting chillan or down there that’s over 1m+. Shame I’m near Santiago this time oh well lots of time for more snow in next few weeks

36. Ozgirl

PSA: Qantas day 2 of RTW sale fares is South America

37. Lucas Fernandes

Lucas Fernandes First Runs

Hey guys, I'll be skiing in Chile this year, from tomorrow (august 03, 2019) untill thursday (august 08, 2019)! I'll be going mainly to VALLE NEVADO. Anyone here will be there? Looking for ski partners.

parkmonkey likes this.
  38. sastrugi

Can we have a quick trip report? Doesn't have to be a novel but keen to hear how you went :)

39. LDJ

I’ll knock one up later today. Was awesome but Jesus the snow was bad for peak season

sastrugi likes this.
  40. sastrugi

That's hard, we encountered that for a month in peak season Canada back in 2001.
    I look forward to your tales, when you're ready.
    We'll be there in a month, and as we're not skiing I'm hoping there's no late snowfalls as we hike down south!

41. LDJ

snow is always possible. I backpacked through Chile in 2014 and after a freak storm dumped a huge amount and we skied Osorno volcano in late November. People were getting the chairlift up to hike and see the view. Officially resort had been shut for a month but was open for summer season tourists and we asked if we could ski. They dug some gear out and we had the whole 3 runs and offpiste with great powder to ourselves all-day. Pretty much greatest resort experience ever. I reckon we might have been close to last people skiing a resort in the Southern Hemisphere that year. They didn’t open again. On the hiking front Chile is amazing have done TDP, Cerro Castillo and others just love the place. Austral beer is beautiful especially el calefete ale. You’ll have an epic time

sastrugi likes this.
  42. sastrugi

Thanks again :D

Swung round the skirts of Orsono 3 years ago when we did the Bariloche - Peurto Varis trip on 3 boats and 4 buses. One of the most memorable days of my life. Did it early November, weather was 24c and riding those lakes on the ferry with snow capped peaks everywhere under blue skies was insanely good. Would love to hike this trail in autumn in the next 5 years.

This trip we're hiking TDP (first time I've been there) and M Fitz Roy (returning to share with +1). Also a 3 day estancia trip out of P Natales and a surprise trip out of Ushuia. Watch this space for TR!!!

PS thanks for heads up on Austral beer, looking forward to trying it out.

Heinz likes this.
  43. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I did that 2 day bus/boat lakes trip from Bariloche into Chile in August 1993. Was great except it was cloudy so didn't always get clear views.

sastrugi likes this.
  44. sastrugi

That's a shame. My mum was also annoyed as it was low cloud the whole time she was in Bariloche and Dad and I had absolute bluebird days to go to Llao Llao, up the chairlift and also the boat trip the next day.

45. LDJ

this will be an awesome trip. The hiking in Patagonia either side of border is so beautiful. I have one of my Fitz Roy photos hanging in the living room. Absolutely loved it.

sastrugi likes this.