Travel Life Chile / Argentina 2017

Discussion in 'Less Travelled' started by eastside, Jul 31, 2017.

1. eastside

eastside Hard Yards

Hello people,

Heading to Chile & Argentina on Wednesday for a four week trip. Feeling reasonably relaxed about things, lots of good reading here and other places.

Questions:

1. Can anybody link to a good site for snow reports & forecasts for South America? Seems pretty tricky to find.

2. What's the chances of running into Bob Marley & Pablo Escobar? These two mates aren't vital to a successful ski trip but they do know how to have a good time.

Any feedback truly appreciated, gracias x

sastrugi and LMB like this.
  2. pmbten

pmbten Hard Yards

How did you go Eastside?
    I’m heading to Chile in late Aug / early Sept.
    Looking for tips from anyone far and wide.

3. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

I could give you plenty of tips, but then it would't be an adventure.
    Biggest tip..........speaking Spanish helps a lot.

parkmonkey likes this.
  4. pmbten

pmbten Hard Yards

Si, but I’m doing the express visit. I only have a couple of days snowboarding then I’m back in Santiago for work.
    Tips are good in this instance.
    Por favor

5. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

Take your own gear with you (it will save you time seeing you only have a few days and I've heard the rental gear is pretty poor).
    There are a few ski shops in the Eastern suburb of Santiago (Las Condes), that run rental, repair and transport from Santiago to the mountains daily. They do pick ups / drop offs from the airport and Santiago hotels.
    Tip, if you have your own gear you can organise direct transport up the mountain, if you need to hire gear, they will pick you up from the hotel at around 6.30am, drive you to their shop, fit you and others out with gear before heading up the mountain. If you're renting and it's the weekend, this would be a time consuming experience.
    You can do it as a day trip from Santiago, or if you have a couple of days, stay overnight in Valle Nevado hotel and get the bus back to Santiago after your 2nd day.
    Email your hotel in Santiago regarding options they may have arrangement with.
    Edit:
    Examples:
    https://www.kladventure.com/
    http://www.skitotal.cl/#!/home

#5 Zimbooo, Jul 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    pmbten likes this.
  6. pmbten

pmbten Hard Yards

Thanks Zimbooo. Definitely taking own gear.
    Cheers

7. essjaywhy

essjaywhy Addicted

Zeroz and pmbten like this.
  8. LDJ

LDJ Hard Yards
    Ski Pass - Silver

@pmbten Are you doing on the cheap? Or have some cash to splash?

There are a couple of good more expensive options in 3 valleys area $300 per night who will drive you to whatever resort you want on the day. I stayed at an awesome place in 2014 (can dig it out if you are interested with hot tub, food included, little attached bar. It was awesome.

If cheaper check out Farrellones backpackers lodges great atmosphere, partying and someone will have a car you can get a lift to whichever resort you want that day. Valle Nevado is great and the one everyone talks about but El Colorado is actually awesome if you can handle t-bars all day.

Lots of options to get up to the mountains direct from your hotel. We ended up getting local transfer up and private transfer back to airport from the mountains as we wanted to ski more and still make plane.

Skiing in Chile is amazing, high altitude stunning vistas and the long lunches, food and wine are awesome. People party hard and late so the slopes are deserted in the morning but beware the altitude some of the groomers were absolute bulletproof until sun got on them.

pmbten likes this.
  9. pmbten

pmbten Hard Yards

essjaywhy likes this.
  10. pmbten

pmbten Hard Yards

Thanks LDJ.
    Our trip to Santiago is a mix of free time and a work conference. We have 4 days free time before we need to check in to the conference in Santiago for a further few days of 5 Star accomodation before we fly back home.
    There are 2 of us blokes.
    At the moment we are looking at staying in Santiago (heaps of cheap apartments available) and hooking up with a guide who picks us up each day and we head up to whichever of the 3 valleys mountains is best for the day.
    I’m very open to getting out of Santiago for this time to mix it up a bit but trying to keep it hassle free at the same time. I was looking at Portillo initially but they only do 1 week deals which does not work. Not interested in checking in and out of different places every day either - couldn’t be bothered.
    Love the sound of where you stayed but the budget is a bit on the tighter side ($300 a night is too steep for us at the minute). Backpackers dorm set up isn’t really what we are after either but if we can get basic private room then that could work with easy access to reliable transport up and down the mountain. Also have to manage the fine line between flat out partying vs quality riding during the day time after some sleep.
    We are both boarders so prefer chairlifts but t-bars are manageable so long as it’s not every lift all day long. Reading a bit about the different resorts it seems we just need to have a cup of concrete, harden up and put up with some pain with most lifts being t-bars.
    Not interested in parks and big jumps. I’m all about free riding - long runs in quality snow. Fingers crossed for some fresh stuff but looking at the reports we can only hope August delivers lots of fresh stuff.
    At the end of the day we have a pretty short limited amount of time in a brand new place and wanting to make the most of what we’ve got to work with. It’s a great opportunity and we want to get it right - as best we can when relying on Huey to deliver the goods.

essjaywhy likes this.
  11. parkmonkey

parkmonkey Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

Pretty much all drag lifts pomas and t bars, couple chairs at each resort, Valle Nevado has the only high speed quad in South America

pmbten likes this.
  12. Caesar

Caesar Hard Yards

Planning a trip to South America in 2019. There will be two of us, both relatively expert skiers. She likes off-piste powder and I like steeps.

Any recommendations? I really like the look of Nevados de Chillan, looks like a really unique experience, but the orange alert on volcanic activity is a bit of a worry.

13. parkmonkey

parkmonkey Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

Las Leñas?

Zimbooo and Caesar like this.
  14. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

Las Lenas is fantastic!!!!
    Very high.
    A week there is not long enough to experience it at its best (unless you luck out with weather). Lots of Nth American expert skiers/riders spend extended time there.
    Bit of a hike to get to. Flight from Santiago to Mendoza (if your flying into Santiago), then 400kms on the bus.
    Don't know what time the bus leaves these days, but used to leave the bus terminal in Mendoza after midnight and arrive in Las Lenas early morning.
    If the Argentinian economy continues to flop "again", a few weeks in Argentina could work out much cheaper than Chile.

parkmonkey and Caesar like this.