Question China Airways?

Discussion in 'Flights' started by skichic, Jun 28, 2016.

1. skichic

skichic A Local

Who's flown them? They have flights to Sapporo in Dec-Jan for under $1000. Layover in Taipei is short and you get the longish overnight flight to/from Sydney.

2. *Xena*

*Xena* Hard Yards

I have skichic. I flew China Airlines to Vancouver back in 2009 and to Chitose last year. I am booked to fly with them again at the end of this year. Its a great route.

skichic likes this.
  3. Crystal

Crystal Sand skier extraordinaire
    Moderator Ski Pass - Gold

I have looked at China Airlines int he past but never pulled the trigger on the flights. Friend at work only fly's them and loves them.

4. David Andrews

David Andrews Hard Yards

spoke to some Taiwanese people & because of China Airlines terrible safety record, they would only ever fly Eva Air.

Apparently, in the past, many ex military people ran China Airlines & they took risks. Not sure when their last crash was, but a search online ...

no incidents listed on wikipedia after 2007

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_Airlines#Incidents_and_accidents

China Airlines used to be the cheapest way to Europe, but now Chinese carriers seem to undercut every other airline by approx $50.

5. grantn

grantn Hard Yards
    Ski Pass - Gold

I am flying China Airlines this Feb, Bris-Taipei-Sapporo. Yes, they had a terrible safety record a long time ago. I was swayed this time by price, route plus 30kg luggage.
    Only thing of concern is that one of their planes had a tailstrike a couple of weeks ago..........

http://avherald.com/h?article=49ece7d4

I found that out after paying for my ticket............

6. essjaywhy

essjaywhy Addicted

7. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

China Airlines. Anyone have any recent experience ? How do they deal with ski bags ?

@grantn How did your flight go last year ?

grantn likes this.
  8. sourmash

sourmash Addicted

9. Born2ski

By the way that's "AIR CHINA" from mainland China(PRC). Completely different to "China Airlines" which are from Taiwan.

10. grantn

grantn Hard Yards
    Ski Pass - Gold

My experience last year on them was cheap and cheerful. 30kgs baggage and no worries with a big heavy snowboard bag. Food was ordinary. Entertainment was ok. The old 747 they gave me from Taipei to Sapporo was the oldest plane I reckon I've ever flown in, but you could choose the old first class seats upstairs, even with an economy purchase. Much, much lower numbers on both planes compared to every other carrier I've flown with. Lots of empty seats.

Born2ski likes this.
  11. Stephen James Allen

Stephen James Allen Hard Yards

I have flow with China Eastern Airways, probably different company... Sydney, Shanghai, Sapporo. Flight was fine yet crowded. Since I have come across All Nippon Airways, flew in 2017, will stick with this company when travelling to Japan, 9 hour overnight, arriving at the less busy and closer Tokyo Haneda International and return ticket not much different from China competitors.

gaz35 likes this.
  12. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

Fortunately there is a new airport in Hong Kong now, but when I hear China Airlines I always think of this...

[​IMG]

13. Donzah

Donzah Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

China airlines - Taiwan
    Air China - Beijing.

China airlines has A350's on the Syd- Taiwan route.
    Then an old 747 on Taiwan -Nrt (once a week)
    rest of the week is A350 and 777

14. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

I flew Southern China Airlines I think it was, better food than western airlines! No staff that can speak English though. Remember to say Shi Shi.

15. Donzah

Ski Pass - Gold

You could have spoken the universal language of Tele
    part wookie, part latin

telecrag likes this.
  16. Beerman

Beerman One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

Many in my family have been, or still are in the Airline business, excluding myself (approx 18 relo's in total) so my comments below are based on their feedback and my observations as a passenger and reader of many things to do with flying.

Many low cost airlines purchase the bulk of their fleet at commencement of the airlines life, which makes for a very young average aircraft age. This combined with their low pricing makes for a very attractive package to joe public, traveling cheaply on new planes to their dream destination. However, the flight crews driving these new aircraft are usually fairly new/young as well, and had minimal time working with each other.

Herein lies one of the major factors that contribute to safe flying, the quality and experience of the flight crew. Other factors certainly come into play when it comes to the overall performance of an Airlines safety record, but the flight crews ability to handle adverse situations is the primary factor of whether your flight gets safely to it's end destination. Flight crash data links below will help add some number to my comments.

https://www.independent.co.uk/trave...what-causes-fatal-plane-crashes-10494952.html
    https://www.1001crash.com/index-page-statistique-lg-2-numpage-4.html

As posted above by @sourmash the poor English knowledge of the Air China pilot is a typical example of insufficient skills required to perform the job correctly. Although there was no crash or major incident, this guy failed, because he didn't get it right the first or second time. It's the simple things that when compounded turns into bigger problems.

I go to many parts of the world that do not enjoy the standard of living we do in Aus, life is very cheap in some of these countries. As a result, I'm happy to pay more to get home in one piece. Enjoy your cheap flights, and spend the savings on life insurance.

silverwitch and skifree like this.
  17. Born2ski

I disagree that "cheap" fares equate to unsafe. I've had "cheap" fares to the USA for only $770 return during school holidays............with Qantas. Does that mean I was taking more risk on that Qantas flight ?

This year I flew to Sapporo for $759 return during peak school holidays with EVA Air, another Taiwanese airline like China Airlines. Yet EVA Air has an impeccable safety record, with no fatal accidents since inception.

A number of airlines around the world are able to offer cheaper fares because they get government subsidies. My advice if your concerned about airline safety is to do your research. Check the airlines past safety record, check how many incidents they've had over the last few years and compare them to others and then make your own informed decision.

This is the last few years for Qantas. How do they compare to others ?
    https://www.aeroinside.com/incidents/airline/qantas

grantn likes this.
  18. Donzah

Ski Pass - Gold

I'd rather fly on a brand spanking new A350 than some of the dud airframes QF is pushing .

19. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

I flew China Southern to Guangzhou last year, it was fine.

20. Beerman

Beerman One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

I've used the term Low Cost Airlines and cheap fares above on my post. I have also flown on cheap airlines and cheap tickets, which can be two very different things (cheap tickets can be great, cheap airlines should be avoided IMO).
    So I think some of you may have missed my point.
    Which was, Low Cost carriers usually have inexperienced/poorly trained crews. Yes they generally have new aircreaft, and due to the low number of hours flown, have had limited exposure to adverse conditions, which helps with their safety record/statistics. Yes i'd prefer to travel on a newer aircraft than a 40 yr old 747 etc. but as long term crash statistics can attest to, is that the quality of the flight crew that are the PRIMARY cause of incident, or not. I used the Air China video as an example of poor skills.
    Given enough time and flying hours, every airline will have their moment in the headlines, I just like to reduce my chances of me being on "that" plane.
    As @Born2ski has mentioned, do you homework, not just on the price.

piolet likes this.
  21. TOFF

TOFF All bits and giggles
    Ski Pass - Gold

If you are concerned about airline safety, probably better not to fly anywhere with anyone, nor get out of bed in the morning...

Zeroz likes this.
  22. Donzah

Ski Pass - Gold

Neither China airlines or Air China are LCC

Qantas hasn't had a hull loss though. Does that make them statiscally more chance?
    This came close
    [​IMG]

travelislife likes this.
  23. Beerman

Beerman One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

I do more flying than the average joe. I lost count of how many flights i'd been on by 10 years of age, due to my father being flight crew.
    Not trying to scare, just shine a wider light.

TOFF and Jacko4650 like this.
  24. Born2ski

chunky likes this.
  25. jgm

jgm Hard Yards

They reportedly spent more than the cost of a new plane to get that one back in the air. Any other airline would have written it off.

26. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

To avoid that stat they decided it was worth the cost.

27. piolet

piolet Found anything yet?
    Ski Pass - Gold

Urban legend

28. BoofHead

BoofHead One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

Haven't read the whole thread but we have used them several times and will be again in Jan. I think its costing us about$1100 return Bris- Sapporo.
    First time we used them, we did a 1 day stopover in Taipei to have a look around which we enjoyed.

Born2ski likes this.
  29. Born2ski

We could be on the same flights ! :D . Fly out on the 5th of Jan and back on the 26th.

We paid about the same but managed to get premium economy seats on the way back.

30. BoofHead

BoofHead One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

We’ll fly out around the 1st and return around the 21st. We hadn’t decided on locations at last gathering; going to Tomamu, Furano, Sahoro in that order. What about you guys?

31. Born2ski

First 5 days in Osaka/Kyoto and then hopefully Furano then Tomamu, but no accommodation booked yet.

32. BoofHead

BoofHead One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

We haven't locked anything down yet. Will let you know when we do.

Born2ski likes this.
  33. Inclder

Inclder Hard Yards

I try to stick to oneword airlines purely because a few extra $'s in fares keeps the riff raff away...

gaz35 likes this.
  34. jgm

jgm Hard Yards

Never see riff raff at the pointy end!

35. travelislife

travelislife One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Unfortunately this is far from true! And depends on your definition of 'riff raff'!

36. piolet

piolet Found anything yet?
    Ski Pass - Gold

Hi

mx_boarder likes this.
  37. jgm

jgm Hard Yards

I set the bar fairly low (I have to accommodate myself).

38. Born2ski

Like Qantas flights to Bali ? .......I'd rather fly China Airlines.

39. Inclder

Inclder Hard Yards

Certain nationalities have no regard for seat allocation, general manners, organisation, etc. I prefer to avoid this where possible. E.g. There is no way I'd fly out of China or India in baggage class on a local carrier (surrounded by first time flyers).

#39 Inclder, Jun 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2018