China Eastern

Discussion in 'Flights' started by Hoodie, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Hoodie

Hoodie Hard Yards

Has anyone flown China Eastern? Looking at using QF points to get to Canada Business Class?

2. Astro66

Astro66 Still looking for a park in Thredbo
    Ski Pass: Gold

Yes. It's a Typical Chinese Airline. Does the job. Don't expect too much. Chinese airports are a dog's breakfast.

JoeKing likes this.
  3. Darzee

Darzee Hard Yards

yes, I flew economy to Vancouver with them a few years ago. As astro said, its a very basic airline, seats and food were alright. transiting through Shanghai airport was a real challenge though make sure you have at least 90 mins for your connecting flight. and before the flight lands they switch off the in flight entertainment and do callisthenics for half an hour to "promote health and vitality"

4. Pink

Pink One of Us

Be careful with which city you’re transiting through China. Some Chinese airports which have direct China Eastern flights to Australia do not have an international transit lounge and do not have visa free transit. At least, this was the case twelve months ago. We learnt this the hard way by being denied boarding at check in. China Eastern’s customer service was atrocious. They tried to remedy the problem by offering to sell us a full price ticket, via another airport, which was more expensive than flying home earlier and quicker with Singapore Airlines. We flew home via Singapore which was a joy.

5. Pink

Pink One of Us

The China Eastern flight we did take was ok though.

6. Hoodie

Hoodie Hard Yards

I bit the bullet and booked next Christmas’s flight on China Eastern using QF points, wife refused to try and with our daughter wanted to leave a day earlier so they are on Cathay using QF points as well. I hope I won’t regret it... I unfortunately have an eight and a half hour layover in Shanghai, do you think I could train it in to the centre and back again?

7. Yardsale

Yardsale Part of the Furniture

You need to get a visa (which, last I looked was a couple of hundred). The nearest you can get on the maglev is about half way in.

JoeKing likes this.
  8. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum
    Ski Pass: Gold

Shanghai has 72 hour visa free entry

9. Hoodie

Hoodie Hard Yards

Yes that’s what I thought for Australians (and a list of others).

10. azzski

azzski Should know better
    Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

It is actually 144 hours now. https://www.travelchinaguide.com/tour/visa/free-transit-144-hours.htm

Confirmed this with the Visa centre - I'm flying China Eastern on my MEL-Pudong-Furano trip soon. I'm in Shanghai for 90 or so hours, jumped through all the hoops to get my visa, only to be told it was unnecessary.

[​IMG]

Going to get a friend to write me up a card asking for directions to the 144hr visa-free counter, so I can flash it once I debark.

11. azzski

azzski Should know better
    Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

One I'm a bit concerned about is whether I need to inform China Eastern about my double ski bag or not - and who do I inform? Conflicting advice online about it. I know it'll be allowed under their sporting equipment rules, but some pages say it's pending approval and you should call (but no number to call).