Chunky's Quick Summer Road Trip USA Holiday

Discussion in 'United States' started by chunky, Jul 23, 2018.

1. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

Thought I would share a little bit of our road trip just finished in the US this July. No walks like the epic Edgecrusher one's in Europe but you might find some still interesting.

Unfortunately I got to experience LAX at its worst. Arriving at 10pm with maybe two other planes to deal with, we didn't get through to get our bags until closer to 1am. We didn't get out until just before 1.30am and had our car and were on the road just after 2am.

Seven hour drive to Zion with a short brekky stop in Las Vegas.

After checking in we headed out for the afternoon to The Narrows.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More later off to work now.

Tanuki, Zeroz, Mick_Molloy_Au and 8 others like this.
  2. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

I would have liked to have pushed further into the Narrows but everyone was getting tired so we only went about 2 hours into it before our turnaround. I was still bouncing despite little sleep and the long drive here.

Anyway - Day 2

I can't believe they don't appear to have water restrictions despite the bad winter. And they sprinkle their grass during the heat of the day. Looks nice probably not efficient.

[​IMG]

Later start than planned unfortunately had us climbing in the middle of the day - yeah not smart but the wait into the park was longer than anticipated. Angel's Landing was our mission today!

[​IMG]

Mick_Molloy_Au and whether like this.
  3. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Baby owls in Refrigerator Canyon

[​IMG][​IMG]

4. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

The climb up the first set of switchbacks was pretty hot going. We sought any shade along the trail and sipped water regularly to keep hydrated. It was a pleasant change to walk through Refrigerator Canyon in the shade until the final set of switchbacks to Scout's Lookout where +1 and youngest would wait for me and my older daughters to climb the final part to Angel's Landing and return.

Billy_Buttons likes this.
  5. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

Awesome climb with some chains for assistance in parts. Awesome hike - you just had to be careful and be courteous to other climbers. Back at the hotel they were quite amazed how nice everyone is. It isn't always the case with people wanting to go faster pushing through without waiting their turn. We didn't experience any of that. In some parts of the year it is like a traffic jam on the final spine of rock you climb to the point there is talk of a permit system like Half Dome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm not holding the camera too far out from my body. It's pretty much straight down in parts.

[​IMG]

Born2ski, Lady Penelope, GS and 2 others like this.
  6. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

If um this isn't ok in a ski forum let me know. I just thought I would share.

oldgeezer and Ozgirl like this.
  7. Billy_Buttons

Billy_Buttons One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Wow...awesome stuff! Keep 'em coming please! :thumbs:

chunky likes this.
  8. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

Sweet :D

Here is the 'step''. Just after this chained part there is a section with no assistance. If you suffer vertigo it might be where you could freeze up. I didn't actually take a photo there cos I didn't want to freeze up. I think I have gopro of it but haven't had a chance to review yet.

[​IMG]

Here is a little cut in the path to the left.

[​IMG]

Here it is looking almost straight down.

[​IMG]

Born2ski, GS, whether and 2 others like this.
  9. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

Love it. We went up to Scout's Lookout in January but stopped there. Didn't trust the kids on the last part and wife said no friggin way.

It's a great walk even to Scout's. Canyon Overlook Trail in some ways though gives the best bang for effort - such an easy but fun walk with a killer view to end.

oldgeezer and chunky like this.
  10. Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

Maybe not epic walks like mine but certainly much better pics than my point and shoot iPhone jobbies!
    These are superb!

oldgeezer and chunky like this.
  11. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

Um my wife said almost the same thing and we didn't want to take our youngest on it. We do Canyon Overlook later too :D

12. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

I loved your pics!

Edgecrusher likes this.
  13. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This really gives you an idea.

[​IMG]

GS, whether and Billy_Buttons like this.
  14. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

Final climb along the spine at the top.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cqen2l, Lady Penelope, Zeroz and 2 others like this.
  15. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

The climb back down the switchbacks just before Scout's Landing if you are coming up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This last one is the bit carved into the cliff at the beginning of the walk to get you up to Refrigerator Canyon.

Born2ski, GS, whether and 1 other person like this.
  16. Billy_Buttons

Billy_Buttons One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Fantastic! You are one fit family!!!

chunky likes this.
  17. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

Bwhahaha - that would probably be a no. But we certainly tried :thumbs:

Billy_Buttons likes this.
  18. chicski

chicski One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Great photos, have been following on FB but good to see them all together with some blurb.

chunky likes this.
  19. Scooter

Scooter One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Hey @chunky - some great pics - getting vertigo looking at a couple so I don't know if that means it would be better or worse in real life :eek: I thought the USA was about not letting you do risky stuff so I'm assuming it isn't that bad.

Just on your above comment - I had a look this morning and as you had linked to your flicker page I had a quick look and there were a couple of pics I looked at and they had been tagged as Mammoth 2017 (which were great as well BTW - I must have missed that lurking as I don't recall seeing them) so what's the deal with these non snow US trips?

For those that know what's Zion like in winter? Does it get snowed in which restricts access?

20. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

We were there in January. Valley level snow doesn’t usually last for more than a few hours but snow does accumulate at higher elevations. Obviously southern Utah had very little snow last January so it was clear for us.

I actually think winter is a good time to visit. You can drive wherever you want around the park, temps are usually comfortable for hiking and it is far less crowded. Sure, you could get restricted by snow for an arvo but I certainly wouldn’t hesitate to go back. We had traction devices for our shoes but didn’t need them this time.

summit_32 likes this.
  21. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

Ah yeah we went to Mammoth in October 2017 for the Fall colours in the Eastern Sierra. I didn't really do a trip report on that one here.

For the non snow US trips - I can't get the time off from my work during snow time but still want to explore somewhere :(

For Zion in winter - we did a long time ago. Something like Angel's I would not do in winter. Sure people do it and in the right gear. I do like how they let you take private cars into the canyon at that time of the year so you can park close to any of the trailheads you wanna try out. It does look magical.

22. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

Sent you something on FB msg.

chicski likes this.
  23. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

Day 3 - snuck out while the kids slept with +1. Drove through the Carmel tunnel and did the quick hike to the Canyon Overlook for sunrise. The carpark for the walk is just on the other side of the tunnel. It's small so get there early if you want a park close to the trail. The glow as they call it was very evident as the sun hit the top of the canyon walls.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

whether and Edgecrusher like this.
  24. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

After heading back to Springdale, having brekky it was back up the same road to head to Bryce Canyon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

whether likes this.
  25. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

Zion Canyon Overlook is somewhere up there.

[​IMG]

A quick look through the openings as you drive through the Carmel tunnel.

[​IMG]

Mick_Molloy_Au and whether like this.
  26. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

The drive out of Zion NP towards Bryce was just as spectacular. It was already well over 40 degrees even in the early morning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Addicted

Nice work @chunky seeing the family and the scenic shots.

Now I don't need think I shall be missing out about not being able to do our original idea of adding on the south-west to an extended trip next northern winter, if indeed it happens at all, depending on how our daughter copes with the addition to her family around Oz Day, i.e. whether GrandPa and GrandMa have to stay around afterwards to help with the first two, and the new arrival.

Instead I can just revisit here.

chunky likes this.
  28. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

On the way to Bryce Canyon you go through Red Canyon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Born2ski, GS and whether like this.
  29. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

Had an early dinner at 5pm with plans to do the Queens Garden Trail with the Navajo Trail after and ascend through Wall Street.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

I love this place. I love Zion too. Doing the trail clockwise allows a steady descent down to the bottom and it means the climb out through Wall Street with its high hoodoos around you is short and steep but aided by switchbacks. Having done it the opposite way and in winter with snow on the trail I liked the clockwise option better. This is also recommended on the national park trail map.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cqen2l, GS, absentskier and 1 other person like this.
  31. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

Too tired to take off my tripod from my pack so some of these are fuzzy and it doesn't really show how dark it was getting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

whether, Zeroz and absentskier like this.
  32. Mick_Molloy_Au

Mick_Molloy_Au Early Days

congrats on your impressive photos. much post processing? what's the rig you are shooting with, I know you got something wide and probably full frame.

33. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum
    Ski Pass - Gold

Utah is very bright.

And Chunky's photos are hosted on flickr. If you click through you can get more EXIF data than you thought existed.

Mick_Molloy_Au likes this.
  34. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

D7200. Not a huge amount of post. Sadly the most has been removing spots in that nice blue sky from something on my main lense which I didn't know about until too late. On the darker photos I have used the graduated filter in Lightroom. Some of the shots are stitches done thru Lightroom into Photoshop. I had a tokina 11-20 wide angle for most of my low light shots and all my astro. One coming up tonight. And some nisi filters which were a pain to carry around. Two std Nikon 18 to 140 I think and 300mm telephoto.

Mick_Molloy_Au likes this.
  35. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

I didn't really need to use the nisi. The colours are bright and there is a glow at certain times of the day on the rock. It is something you really need to see in person. The camera tries to flatten it out. If anything at some of those special times the processors in the iPhone 10 and Samsung note 8 were good at capturing.

36. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

Sunset

[​IMG]

Slowpony, whether and summit_32 like this.
  37. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

38. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

And if you wait long enough the reward for being in a dark sky area is amazing. The town of Tropic is the main centre glow and I am not sure what the small one to the left is.

[​IMG]

GS, cqen2l, Born2ski and 3 others like this.
  39. summit_32

summit_32 Hard Yards

Thank you so much for posting - we will be there in early January 2019 and have booked two nights at Zion Lodge. Not expecting much accomodation wise but keen to experience Zion at sunrise/sunset

chunky likes this.
  40. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

You will be right in the scenic area - not that you don't have that in Springdale. I tried to get us in there for this trip but it was fully booked. Nice café there that we indulged in for some ice cream and smoothies after our Angel's Landing hike. I felt like all the calories we burned off we put back on with the cold snacks after!

41. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

Day 4

On your way to Tropic you can do a small side trip to the only running water in Bryce Canyon. It is in fact the Tropic Ditch - something that was dug with no machinery from 1890 to 1892. The water was diverted from the Sevier River along a 14 mile course to supply water down to Tropic and Cannonville. It was cool and I really wanted to go under it but didn't. The trailhead takes you to a Mossy Cave but if you take the right hand trail when it comes to choose you get to a much better little attraction - the waterfall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#42 chunky, Jul 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    whether likes this.
  42. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

Further down the road is Kodachrome Basin State Park with it's tall sandstone chimneys and mud like box canyon walls. It was getting very hot :( We only did a few small hikes in the main area to see some of the chimneys and into one box canyon to have a look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

whether likes this.
  43. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

Ok ok do you see something here that my kids did not see???? Nor did I want to try explaining to my girls but my wife 'scolded' me for it. Hey I didn't make the formation. Hee hee LOL

[​IMG]

cqen2l, Principal Douglas and whether like this.
  44. Crystal

Crystal Sand skier extraordinaire
    Moderator Ski Pass - Gold

Amazing...thanks Chunky

chunky likes this.
  45. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

About 10 miles south of the entrance is Grosvenor Arch. I thought it was worth the detour. You can continue on the same road and loop around but we would head back along the same road back to Cannonville to get on the main highway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

46. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

The drive back...well Utah has amazing stuff wherever you look even if it is an old cabin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

47. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

I sometimes felt like I was in the Cars movie. The roads with the slickrock formations reminded me of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

48. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

Continuing along Scenic Byway 12 to Boulder we turn off and continue along what is called the Burr Trail.

Here is what the view looks like a few miles in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Afternoon glow was happening.

[​IMG]

49. chunky

chunky Old n' Crusty

Slot canyon disguised by a tree at its entrance along the road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]