Citibank Debit Card > 28Degrees Mastercard...

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
I thought all debit cars had a $1000AUD limit unless you ask for it to be raised.
IIRC the ING card had a $2k limit without asking for it to be raised. Just tested the Citibank card and could only withdraw equivalent of $1k. Have phoned and will find out tomorrow if I can get the limit increased.

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Wesley Vale, Tasmania
Just opened a Citibank Plus account. The paperwork that came with the card states $1000 daily ATM withdrawal limit. It does say "A different limit may apply if you request to change it"

I might ask to have it raised to $2000 for the duration of my Japan trip when I contact them to let them know I'm going.... Fingers crossed

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
It is no big deal to get it changed. You just phone them. Do it during business hours and it is apporved immediately. Out of business hours, they do it overnight cause the team involved work 9 to 5. I reset my limit to $3k so I can get the maximum out of the local ATM in Japan - 200k yen.

And very wise to let them know when you will be in Japan.

Stratus

A Local
Apr 22, 2005
Melbourne
Just opened a Citibank Plus account. The paperwork that came with the card states $1000 daily ATM withdrawal limit. It does say "A different limit may apply if you request to change it"

When opening the account, how long did it take between application and receiving your card?

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Took me less than a fortnight. I know other people have had some issues. But the biggest issue was getting the form to take to the post office for ID and we printed that out from the website rather than having it sent to us.

Reactions: almontyrat

smitty484

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Apr 27, 2006
London, previously Brisbane
I would recommend transferring cash to citi account before leaving Aus. I had a problem on a recent trip to the Usa with funds not being cleared and to make alterations to my account I had to enter an SMS code sent to my phone (aus SIM card wasn't activated for international use). Tried emailing citi, were hopeless in getting back to me. was all a pita hassle. Lesson for next time, I will transfer funds while in aus

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
In Japan I receive sms for free. I just leave my phone turned on, turn data off and be selective about answering calls to manage costs. Then I can get this sort of sms and deal with those sorts of problems.

Also we have VOIP phone with a Sydnye number and would help anyone who needed to call Aus to sort out these sorts of problems.

Actually we would find a way to help anyone staying with us who had a problem getting cash from their account.

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Wesley Vale, Tasmania
When opening the account, how long did it take between application and receiving your card?
I received the card in less than a week from application! I printed off the post office ID check form thingy and took it to the Post Office as soon as I received the email from Citibank with the application number on it (you need to put that number on the form). The Post Office fills in their stuff online and I had another confirmation email from Citibank by the time I got home that day.
I posted off the Signature sheet off and reckon the Visa card and associated gumf arrived a few days later. I'm still waiting on the PIN number (sent separately for security) so I can't actually use the card yet but the account is up and running and I can deposit etc. online.
I had heard that other people have had issues so rang them as soon as I made the application for instructions. I did complain that the online process was a bit vague and that it would tell you to do the ID confirmation online when you actually have to go to the post office. The rep admitted that the online instructions (and those you get in the first email) telling you to do online ID check are wrong, Yeah, thanks for that.....
Anyway, I'm all sorted, If anyone is having trouble, ring them up for the step by step from a real person. It helped me through their clunky process no end.

Reactions: Stratus

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Yeah I am prettyn sure I rang them as well and was given helpful instructions.

Thing is either leave lots of time and have a back up plan. I also have an ING Orange card that charges $2.50 per withdrawal which is ok cause I do big withdrawals and NAB gold card which was awesome and is now cr@p. But it means there is no panic if I have a problem.

Born2ski

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane
**** WARNING ****

For those who use their Citibank card for infrequent overseas trips or purchases be aware I've encountered a new problem.

Citibank have just told me that after 6 months of no transactions on the account they LOCK your account. You need to ring them to reactivate the account which can then take up to 24hrs.

So for those who haven't used their account for 6 months make sure you ring Citibank BEFORE your next overseas trip and tell them to reactivate your account, otherwise you could be stuck O/S with no access to your money for 24hrs. :tany:

Reactions: Stratus

BammBamm

Hard Yards
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
Can't really have fraudulent activity on citibank because it's a savings account with 0% and so you'd be silly to leave cash on it when not travelling :)

jgm

Addicted
Ski Pass
Jul 3, 2000
Geelong, Vic, Australia
Yes B2S just struck that myself. We're in NZ now (arrived last Friday) & I had loaded up my Citi plus before leaving. When I tried to get cash out, I could see the available balance, but I couldn't withdraw. The error messages didn't tell me anything. Finally got network connection & skyped Citi who told me it had been locked, & that I should have called them beforehand to let them know I would be using the card OS. Fortunately the agent was able to unlock it & put a note on my account to say when I'm returning, & I went straight around to the local ATM and withdrew.

Reactions: BammBamm

bullet

One of Us
Aug 11, 2007
wollongong
Can anyone please be of assistance RE: Citibank Plus account with Visa debit card.

For some reason citibank have reissued customers with a new card that has paywave and stuff. Now the old card was a visa and it also had the "visa plus" logo on the back, and i used it last year.

The new card is a visa also but it no longer has the "plus" logo on the back.
I remember reading somewhere that the ATM's in Japan only accept the cards with the "plus" (or maestro for MC) on them.

Is this right,will my new Visa debit from citibank work on acceptable atm's(7/11 etc)?

Cheers.

travelislife

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 9, 2008
Melbourne
Good question, I need to activate my new one this week, probably should do a test transaction this week in Aus before heading off to make sure it works!

Born2ski

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane
Can anyone please be of assistance RE: Citibank Plus account with Visa debit card.

For some reason citibank have reissued customers with a new card that has paywave and stuff. Now the old card was a visa and it also had the "visa plus" logo on the back, and i used it last year.

The new card is a visa also but it no longer has the "plus" logo on the back.
I remember reading somewhere that the ATM's in Japan only accept the cards with the "plus" (or maestro for MC) on them.

Is this right,will my new Visa debit from citibank work on acceptable atm's(7/11 etc)?

Cheers.
@skichanger You're on the ground in Japan now, how is your new Citibank card going ?

Timmy_Arnold

Hard Yards
Oct 22, 2013
Brisbane
I've been using the new Citibank card in Tokyo this week and haven't had any problems. Withdrew cash at 7/11 and Japan Post, and paid via eftpos at a number of different stores.

JamesH

First Runs
Jan 10, 2015
Perth - Australia
Sorry to bring up old information. If you have a debit mastercard or say a commbank travel card you would only be able to get money out at a post office whereas is you have a Visa Debit you can also get cash out from any 7/11?

Cheers!

Mercyrx3

Hard Yards
Aug 28, 2011
Melbourne
Sorry to bring up old information. If you have a debit mastercard or say a commbank travel card you would only be able to get money out at a post office whereas is you have a Visa Debit you can also get cash out from any 7/11?

Cheers!
They both should be ok at both PO and 7/11, also Aeon bank ATMs and citibank ATMs

Reactions: JamesH

argento

Hard Yards
Jul 30, 2012
is the 28 degrees matercard (not the citibank debit card) still no annual fees, no international transaction fees, and no currency conversion fees?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass